New Phone

wykikitoon

If you're listening to exclusive apple content without it having the exclusive apple content DRM why would they support your robbing from them?

If it's exclusive content from the wrong platform you've pirated it haven't you?

If you're listening to exclusive apple content without it having the exclusive apple content DRM why would they support your robbing from them?

I just want you to basically explain in layman's terms the situation i might be facing. I dont understand your post at all. You mean some music on the Apple music app is exclusive and i am playing this on the iphone. Now what? As currently, you cant take music off the music app and play it elsewhere. You can stream and download for offline use. If you want to be able to take that file out of the app then you are going to have to pay for the music. If you could take that file and download it or take it to another device then that would mean i could pay 9 euros to own 46 million songs. 

Not being able to do this is a concern? :lol: 

In response to Andrew....

Yeah. That's been my point all along. DRM hardly worked before because piracy was a better solution in terms of the devices you could listen on and the cost.

Now all music is as good as free and a digital wire can cut the signal from any illegitimate source, apple are sure to capitalise and drive people towards their subscription service.

Yeah. That's been my point all along. DRM hardly worked before because piracy was a better solution in terms of the devices you could listen on and the cost.

Now all music is as good as free and a digital wire can cut the signal from any illegitimate source, apple are sure to capitalise and drive people towards their subscription service.

There it is! What does that mean? 

Poorly designed DRM has never worked, but keeping exclusive content exclusive it's what it's for, if it does that then it's not bad.

I'm honestly not sure what the theoretical problem is here?

I just want you to basically explain in layman's terms the situation i might be facing. I dont understand your post at all. You mean some music on the Apple music app is exclusive and i am playing this on the iphone. Now what? As currently, you cant take music off the music app and play it elsewhere. You can stream and download for offline use. If you want to be able to take that file out of the app then you are going to have to pay for the music. If you could take that file and download it or take it to another device then that would mean i could pay 9 euros to own 46 million songs.

Not being able to do this is a concern? :lol:

People may want to own their music rather than rent it, to buy from other sources than Apple or even download illegally. They want to play that music through other apps, not through subscription services.

Apple have mostly supported that in the past. Built the company on it and defended the right of people to do so. It looks likely they won't any more.

There it is! What does that mean?

once Apple gets the ability to add DRM, the record industry gets the ability to insist that Apple use it ("A phaser on the mantelpiece in Act One must go off by Act 3" - Pavel Chekov, Star Trek: TOS). In 2007, Steve Jobs published his Thoughts on Music, in which he said, basically, that the record industry had forced Apple to put DRM in its ecosystem and he didn't like it. The record industry is still made up of the same companies, and they still love DRM. Right now, an insistence on DRM would simply invite the people who wanted to bypass it for legal reasons to use that 3.5mm headphone jack to get at it. Once that jack is gone, there's no legal way to get around the DRM

http://boingboing.net/2016/08/12/how-a-digital-only-smartphone.html

You can use another app and load your music into that, you can load illegal music into the apple music app. If you want to own music and load files you own onto your iphone, you can. If you want to stop that (which is the very bizarre premise of what you are saying), a wire is not how you do it. You make the app unable to sync music that was not sourced from the app store and you dont allow other music playing apps on the phone. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG1a2CpP1eI

Apple don't want to shut down those legal options. It would be anti competitive and alienate customers using other music services they prefer or want to use as well for their exclusivity.

If it's something they do it will be a move against illegal competition. Not all competition.

It's wouldn't bother half as many people as it did 10 years ago or whatever now that streaming is so much more popular than piracy.

its gibberish - if the output has an analog adapter then the digital wire doesnt know what its connected to.

I'll bow to you on that. Got tech sites telling me one thing and apple fanboys another. I've no expertise to argue with either, just offering my interpretation of what I've read. I'm not likely to get one either way, but will be interested to see if/how it changes the market.

All creative activity comes from the morphogenic field that surrounds the planet and belongs to everybody, all ideas belong to everyone and hence must be free. Any system that tries to block the freedom of ideas on this planet will fail cause the planet don't like it.

Edited by Park Life

Its this bit that makes no sense if there is an analog adapter 

by wrapping that audio in DRM, Apple gets a veto over which of your devices can connect to your phone. They can arbitrarily withhold permission to headphone manufacturers, insist that mixers be designed with no analog outputs, or even demand that any company that makes an Apple-compatible device must not make that device compatible with Apple's competitors, so home theater components that receive Apple signals could be pressured to lock out Samsung's signals, or Amazon's.

If they remove the adapter (something that seems logically impossible once they've made it) then perhaps there would be something there but the lack of adapter (which it ships with) would in itself do the job the 'digital' wire is supposed to be doing (restricting access). 

All creative activity comes from the morphogenic field that surrounds the planet and belongs to everybody, all ideas belong to everyone and hence must be free. Any system that tries to block the freedom of ideas on this planet will fail cause the planet don't like it.

Bollocks

its gibberish - if the output has an analog adapter then the digital wire doesnt know what its connected to.

This would suggest though that the biggest advancement on the iPhone 7 is a method of stopping people listening to music and charging their phone at the same time.

Not sure why they would chose to do that without other greater benefits to the company beyond shaving another mm of the depth of it.

Are aux connectors expensive so cutting out those suppliers offer huge savings on production?

Unless it's an idea involving a female with agency, in which case fuck 'em.

This would suggest though that the biggest advancement on the iPhone 7 is a method of stopping people listening to music and charging their phone at the same time.

Not sure why they would chose to do that without other greater benefits to the company beyond shaving another mm of the depth of it.

Are aux connectors expensive so cutting out those suppliers offer huge savings on production?

The 3.5mm jack is a very old technology that breaks. Wireless doesnt break, frees up space. I've been wireless for ages now, as the quality from a 100 euro pair is as good as wired in-ear phones of around the same price. So there's that and the fact that every device (the new macbook has only one input too) seems to be moving that way. The Airpods look decent too. 

Its technology not Apple thats interesting. Great article in this weeks Economist on the future of Uber, shit like that is interesting. 

Everything you are drawn to in this world you had a hand in creating. It's how the field works. Tell Apple to go fuck themselves and claim copyright of all their content. :)

The 3.5mm jack is a very old technology that breaks. Wireless doesnt break, frees up space. I've been wireless for ages now, as the quality from a 100 euro pair is as good as wired in-ear phones of around the same price. So there's that and the fact that every device (the new macbook has only one input too) seems to be moving that way. The Airpods look decent too.

Aye, apple have always done it first, stripping out floppy drives then CD drives and old monitor connections turning everything USB, but that's not proprietary. Always to much opposition anyway. Maybe this will have positive implications on audio quality across all devices, both wired and wireless.

Doesn't convince me the DRM fear mongerers are wrong about ulterior motives though. We'll see I suppose.

Once everything is in the 'cloud' we won't own any of it even if it is actually our stuff, we'll just be allowed access to it. They want to go to computers without hard drives. Seriously these are the kind of nutters we're dealing with. :lol:

Edited by Park Life