2017 GE 1

Kevin Carr's Gloves

Just now, Renton said:

Ageist fucker. Anyway it means the feckless students won't get out from under their duvets in time. 

Yes, and I include my own mam and dad in that ageist slur, the batty bastards.

You'd hope more students and young workers would be out and about anyway.

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

Tbf I don't think most the country are enthusiastic about either of them. Putting politics aside, they're both hopeless leaders. Everyone I know is voting Corbyn with huge reservations. I think his political past his pretty shambolic, he's said some dodgy things and gives the impression of being a massive contrarian. How do you justify his EU stance for instance?

He comes across as fairly anti but not daft enough to want us to leave. Which is precisely what I think. He's just being himself, which isn't great, don't get me wrong but ffs (and this isn't a cop out in any way) how many of could properly go into public life knowing we'd have to become some sort of unprincipled wanker and a shadow of our former selves to get anywhere? Am not arguing that he's been treated particularly badly, am not arguing that he was the right man but he's been true to himself. I get that, it's far from what was needed to win this election but let's see what the vote share looks like tomorrow. If it's gone up we'll know that the electorate is open to taxing high earners for the benefit of the country etc. I agree it may all be too late. But Brexit has changed  2015's "catchable" majority. People have been polarised. 

8 minutes ago, Happy Face said:

At least it's been pissing down.  Hopefully the racist old fuckers that want to pay for dementia care and lose their heating allowance will stop in.

My nasty side has thought at least the destruction of the NHS will mean some of these fuckers will die earlier in pain. 

1 minute ago, Happy Face said:

Yes, and I include my own mam and dad in that ageist slur, the batty bastards.

You'd hope more students and young workers would be out and about anyway.

Mine are both staunch Labour, Dad was a member for a while. Both reluctant to back Corbyn (but will). They both voted remain too, unlike comrade Corbyn. ;)

42 minutes ago, ewerk said:

See, this is the problem. Corbyn did condemn the IRA but did it in such a way that even a leftie like you didn't pick up on it.

Edit: Though it's the media's fault for misrepresenting him as much as anything.

He couldn't bring himself to say "I condem the IRA" without caveats. I truly believe he believes what he says but by grouping them together with all other terrorists he's giving his opponents who say he's an apologist for current and former enemies all the ammo they need.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

The Times isn't indpendent of Murdoch. I'm not sure if he has any editorial influence at Sky News though? Plus isn't The Sun still the biggest selling paper in the UK?

The times have a reasonable degree of editorial independence. 

17 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

In the interview I saw he said " I condemn all acts of terrorism".  

Exactly!!! Why could he just condemn them outright ffs? Because he's a stubborn old git who refuses to do what is needed to win an election. 

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

Mine are both staunch Labour, Dad was a member for a while. Both reluctant to back Corbyn (but will). They both voted remain too, unlike comrade Corbyn. ;)

Problem with my folks is they aren't really northern.  Dad moved here from the Isle of Man in 1970 and although my Mam's been here her whole life, her parents lived around Birmingham and Nottingham and moved up here when she was born, so she's always lived with Southerners.

You'd think that having lived in the North East for the past 50 years it would have cleansed them of any remnants of ingrained Tory, but no, they still have a distrust of anyone that says they'll tax and spend, regardless of how it's implemented and the services it saves.

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

Times was pro-Remain too. Got some Tory columnists but they're of the wet variety. I buy it on Saturday sometimes. 

Worth reading for atherton's cricket coverage alone.

my point about the mail was mainly about dacre. He is like a newspaper proprietor and editor. He has no one looking over his shoulder and has complete control over their extreme editorial bias that shapes all of their vile output. Lord rothermere is quite a passive owner and pretty much lets him get on with it. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

34 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Exactly!!! Why could he just condemn them outright ffs? Because he's a stubborn old git who refuses to do what is needed to win an election. 

Q: Should the IRA’s acts of murder be condemned unequivocally?

A: Yes.

Q: Were the IRA terrorists?

A: Yes. The IRA clearly committed acts of terrorism.

You can't get much more outright than that. But it was barely reported by your lot.

9 minutes ago, ewerk said:

You can't get much more outright than that. But it was barely reported by your lot.

I don't know where that interview is from. I'm talking about the televised debate where he refused to condem the Ira outright without referencing all acts of terror. 

It was a Sky News interview wasn't it? 

Of course he could have handled it better, he should have known that it was going to be an issue from the outset and devised a strategy to deal with it. But when he did come good no one in the MSM wanted to know about it and by that point the damage was done.

Right, so it's about not knowing how to be media savvy. I agree with lots of what Corbyn says but as a leader he's absolutely clueless and I'm afraid that is going to be laid bare tomorrow morning. And I have to stay up all bastard night watching seats turn blue. <_<

That incident im talking about, along with his refusal to commit to pressing the nuclear button in defence and a whole

bunch of his other principles, which he refuses to bend to any degree is what will cost him. Does that make him a bad man? No. A bad leader? Yes 

1 hour ago, Happy Face said:

Problem with my folks is they aren't really northern.  Dad moved here from the Isle of Man in 1970 and although my Mam's been here her whole life, her parents lived around Birmingham and Nottingham and moved up here when she was born, so she's always lived with Southerners.

You'd think that having lived in the North East for the past 50 years it would have cleansed them of any remnants of ingrained Tory, but no, they still have a distrust of anyone that says they'll tax and spend, regardless of how it's implemented and the services it saves.

I saw a tweet from Ben Goldacre saying anyone who uses the phrase "tax burden" should fuck off to Sierra Leone or Bulgaria as they have the lowest taxes in the world but are obviously shit holes. There's no connect between taxes and a civilised society here as there is in Germany or the scandanavian countries. Stuff like this should be taught in schools. 

Mrs Fish has voted Tory all her life, and has no love for Corbyn. but she's done loads of those online "who should I vote for" things online and a couple of days ago quietly said "I think I have to vote Labour". 

She's been toing and froing, but after I accompanied her to the Polling Station and filled her head with quotes from the communist manifesto she's told me she's voted Labour. 

If she's just a shy Tory I'm taking her for all she's worth.

The current Mrs PL wouldn't vote for May if you held a gun to her head. Unfortunately "I really like Tim!" is all I've heard fro her for a month...till last night, when she did what Mrs Fish did...and came up with Labour too. A host of "where does Jeremy stand on?.." questions ensued without much consternation. Sadly, I've had to go and get her from work this afternoon as she wasn't well, and now shes lying upstairs in bed having been sick 3 times in the last 90 mins and I've just been told to make the journey to the polling station on my lonesome :(

12 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

The current Mrs PL wouldn't vote for May if you held a gun to her head. Unfortunately "I really like Tim!" is all I've heard fro her for a month...till last night, when she did what Mrs Fish did...and came up with Labour too. A host of "where does Jeremy stand on?.." questions ensued without much consternation. Sadly, I've had to go and get her from work this afternoon as she wasn't well, and now shes lying upstairs in bed having been sick 3 times in the last 90 mins and I've just been told to make the journey to the polling station on my lonesome :(

Lame, hope she feels better soon... you aren't in a marginal are you?

The other thing that's quite plausible is shy Corbyn voters. 

Those who have dropped their principals for the free stuff.

Those who know his "media" reputation as a loser and don't want the association, but do want the free stuff.

Just now, Rayvin said:

Lame, hope she feels better soon... you aren't in a marginal are you?

True blue tory land mate, sorry. Am just hoping that Labour will get an increased share of the vote, just to show the message is getting through...

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

True blue tory land mate, sorry. Am just hoping that Labour will get an increased share of the vote, just to show the message is getting through...

Well done for sticking to your guns with Labour in whilst deep in enemy territory!