World Cup 2018

Meenzer

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

So what does everyone expect from tonight’s game? England’s young bucks to romp home with a convincing victory or the usual turgid, anxious shite we’ve become accustomed to?

I’d like to think this younger group could go and play with more freedom than their predecessors - they don’t have the history of previous failures hanging over them, expectations are at an all time low and there are some match winners in the team, despite the squad generally being one of the least exciting of recent times.

My prediction: one nill to the Eng-er-land, with a nervy last 10 minutes after we fail to kill the game off.

Hopefully a really aggressive team selection from Southgate, Trippier, Walker, Stones and Rose to be in the defence(with one other), Lingard and Alli in midfield with Henderson anchoring and Sterling and Kane up top. Come out of the blocks quickly and score early, let Tunisia then have to come out and let the pace and quality of delivery from wide do the job.

In reality a narrow win by a goal from a set piece if the rest of the tournament is anything to go off.

i like the sound of that, but with dier in for henderson, lining up something like this. 

---------------pickford

----walker----stones---cahill

trippier------------------------rose

---------------dier

---------lingard-----ali

--------kane----sterling

the centre backs are the weak point, for me. we've one of the best attacking full backs in the world in there, but we're playing him at centre back. then there's  cahill, who is past his best. if he'd brought king jamaal, i'd have had him in there, with walker at right wing back. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

:lol: I'm am slightly worried that if the big sides don't turn up at this tournament (as they haven't so far) that England may actually get somewhere.

I wouldn't let that keep you awake at night.

• Haha 1

Would be pleased just to see us get out of the group then see what happens. Not expecting a lot which has been my position for just about every tournament since '98

Aye I’d be pleased to see us get out the group with a bit of comfort. I can see us getting to the QF provided the team don’t become terrified like they have in past tournaments. 

As much as I don’t rate Southgate he is at least using his experience of being at a tournament to good use. He is making a real effort to have a good mood among the squad and it seems a fairly relaxed atmosphere. I think it was good that he cut his squad to 23 earlier than past England managers as well. 

• Like 1

I’d just like to see us exit the tournament and get that old feeling that used to accompany being knocked out - that plucky old England battled away but were  unlucky or robbed, or denied by the penalty lottery. 

Not the abject apathy associated with the last decade following the national side. 

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’d just like to see us exit the tournament and get that old feeling that used to accompany being knocked out - that plucky old England battled away but were  unlucky or robbed, or denied by the penalty lottery. 

Not the abject apathy associated with the last decade following the national side. 

Glorious failure!

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Glorious failure!

it's the british way. we love a plucky underdog, a trier. but we haven't even been that, the last few tournaments. 

The fucking radio commentary :lol: just been talking about ibrahimovic, "he is here in russia, I believe hes been promoting some sort of credit card, which we cant advertise. He did need a Visa to get here though."

Just now, Andrew said:

The fucking radio commentary :lol: just been talking about ibrahimovic, "he is here in russia, I believe hes been promoting some sort of credit card, which we cant advertise. He did need a Visa to get here though."

That fucking advert with him in :lol: Think it premiered around the time Visa stopped working for about 24 hours as well

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

That fucking advert with him in :lol: Think it premiered around the time Visa stopped working for about 24 hours as well

I hate the "Zlatan" thing, thought it was quite funny that the sweden coach refused to crawl up to him to call him up to the world cup. 

They've just won which means they've done better than they did at the euros with him in the team, you can bet he'd be out talking about how much hes missed.

Fucking hell that penalty was a stone waller on review and the BBC are still making out to be a close call or debatable in some way.