The First Time you Flew

Pilchard Chops

"I wouldn't mind a long, drawn-out awareness of my impending doom whilst trapped in a metal tube with a couple of hundred people screaming"...

almost all planes crash on landing, on takeoff or go straight into a mountain - you don't feel a thing..............................

86266[/snapback]

And you know this how? Previous life?

86269[/snapback]

Buy "Flight" magazine (its weekly) - every 6 months they publish a full list of stats and details of all accidents for every plane that is commercial - easy really

or http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

86277[/snapback]

OK, here's one for you...

TWA plane that crashed off Long Island during the '96 Olympics. Brought down simply because the plane had been left on the apron too long with the air conditioning system left on. The aircon system heated the fuel in the centre tank to flash point and a short caused by the shoddy insulation on the wiring loom caused a spark and the fuel exploded. It resulted in a fracture which caused the nose to detatch and the plane literally fly for another half mile without a front section before it stalled and crashed......

You telling me those people felt nowt! :P

86286[/snapback]

aye that was an odd one - it was one of number of ex Iran Air Force 747's that TWA bought - funnily enough the Iranian Air Force had one blow up out of Tehran in the same way

And if the nose comes off at 38,000 feet the drop in cabin pressure would cause everyone to pass out immediately - and its also bloody cold as well

86445[/snapback]

I'm not sure that depressurisation would cause everyone to pass out immediately tbh - that's what they like you to think. But certainly it is undeniable that many crashes result in prolonged mental or physical suffering. As Ian McEwan wrote in a recent book, one of the things you would be aware of on a plane during a major incident would be the increasingly nauseaous smell of shit as people involuntarily emptied their bowels.....

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is anyone going abroad shortly ?

:P  :steamtrain:  :icon_lol:

86343[/snapback]

Greece in May. Although...

I aint getting on no plane foo'!

86439[/snapback]

How come? Are you sailing there?

86460[/snapback]

I am after this thread.

I'm not sure that depressurisation would cause everyone to pass out immediately tbh - that's what they like you to think. But certainly it is undeniable that many crashes result in prolonged mental or physical suffering. As Ian McEwan wrote in a recent book, one of the things you would be aware of on a plane during a major incident would be the increasingly nauseaous smell of shit as people involuntarily emptied their bowels.....

86464[/snapback]

As the Yanks were fond of saying during the war, when the shit hits the fan, keep a tight ass.

"I'm not sure that depressurisation would cause everyone to pass out immediately tbh - that's what they like you to think"

Well it happens bloody quickly - they know this from actual incidents - like that business jet that flew right across the USA before crashing - fighter pilots could see the crew slumped in the cockpit ........ they reckon you've only got a few seconds at high altitude

"I'm not sure that depressurisation would cause everyone to pass out immediately tbh - that's what they like you to think"

Well it happens bloody quickly - they know this from actual incidents - like that business jet that flew right across the USA  before crashing - fighter pilots  could see the crew slumped in the cockpit ........ they reckon you've only got a few seconds at high altitude

86472[/snapback]

Isn't it often thought to be as a result of gradual depressurisation where you get the situation like the one above. If it's sudden you'd have the time it takes for you to run out of breath. The trouble is of course that the adrenaline flows and your heart beats quicker so you can't hold your breath anywhere near as long as in a normal situation.

Well it happens bloody quickly - they know this from actual incidents - like that business jet that flew right across the USA  before crashing - fighter pilots  could see the crew slumped in the cockpit ........ they reckon you've only got a few seconds at high altitude

86472[/snapback]

Yep, depends on the altitude, but you would be conscious for some time (even in Space you are), and what's more you would have a good chance of regaining consiousness as you reached lower altitudes falling to Earth....

Besides, many planes on short-haul don't fly that high. Don't forget you can survive for hours on the summit of Everest without oxygen (28000 foot up).

I'm sorry, but most people who die in plane crashes suffer unimaginable psychological trauma as they wait to die. Good job it's so rare! :P

86472[/snapback]

Yep, depends on the altitude, but you would be conscious for some time (even in Space you are), and what's more you would have a good chance of regaining consiousness as you reached lower altitudes falling to Earth....

Besides, many planes on short-haul don't fly that high. Don't forget you can survive for hours on the summit of Everest without oxygen (28000 foot up).

I'm sorry, but most people who die in plane crashes suffer unimaginable psychological trauma as they wait to die. Good job it's so rare! :P

86476[/snapback]

No evidence for psychological trauma that I've seen - pehaps you can enlighten us with a source?

And those who get to the top of Everest have walked there over a month - not shot up from Woolsington in 10 minutes. Even on short flights within the UK they go up to ++ 30,000 ft

86472[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but most people who die in plane crashes suffer unimaginable psychological trauma as they wait to die. Good job it's so rare! :steamtrain:

86476[/snapback]

No evidence for psychological trauma that I've seen - pehaps you can enlighten us with a source?

And those who get to the top of Everest have walked there over a month - not shot up from Woolsington in 10 minutes. Even on short flights within the UK they go up to ++ 30,000 ft

86481[/snapback]

What type of evidence of psychological trauma do you want man? Looks of horror plastered on the faces of the deceased? :P Of course unless death is instant people are going to be psycholgically traumatised - I was shook up by an explosion on the ground once! If you are faced with the possibility the plane is going to crash you will shit your pants literally.

As for domestic flights, I got a flight to Dublin recently which cruised at 18000 feet and another to Bristol which levelled out at 24000.

86472[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but most people who die in plane crashes suffer unimaginable psychological trauma as they wait to die. Good job it's so rare! :steamtrain:

86476[/snapback]

86481[/snapback]

What type of evidence of psychological trauma do you want man? Looks of horror plastered on the faces of the deceased? :P Of course unless death is instant people are going to be psycholgically traumatised - I was shook up by an explosion on the ground once! If you are faced with the possibility the plane is going to crash you will shit your pants literally.

As for domestic flights, I got a flight to Dublin recently which cruised at 18000 feet and another to Bristol which levelled out at 24000.

86485[/snapback]

I suggest you use an airline that uses something a bit more modern than a DC-3 TBH

At those altitudes you might well meet the RAF

86472[/snapback]

86476[/snapback]

86481[/snapback]

86485[/snapback]

I suggest you use an airline that uses something a bit more modern than a DC-3 TBH

At those altitudes you might well meet the RAF

86491[/snapback]

Easy jet and Ryan Air, both 737s.

If you fly Air lingus from Dublin to New York, the plane will land at Shannon after having achieved an altitude of less than 8000 feet. And that's a 747.

As you point out though, turboprops and propeller planes fly at low altitudes routinely, and are more likely to crash than jets, which again detracts from your argument.

Edited by Renton

"If you fly Air lingus from Dublin to New York, the plane will land at Shannon "

that is due to stupid Irish Govt rules trying to keep jobs at Shannon and buggering their flag carrier - a bit like making BA stop at Bristol out of LHR

I'm not sure that turboprops crash more often than jets when they are flown by the same company

The problem is that cheaper aircraft are flown by smaller and less rigorous airlines or charter companies

I'd like proof that the dead don't feel a thing during their impending death.

Still waiting.....

86515[/snapback]

Have you any hard EVIDENCE they do?

Thought not, therefore they don't. :steamtrain:

86517[/snapback]

:P

I'm gonna run at Rob waving a fuck-off sword above my head, screaming "I'm gonna cut your fucking head off". See if he has any trauma :icon_lol:

Still waiting.....

86515[/snapback]

Agreed...

There is evidence (medical data) that at least some of the astronauts were still alive after the Challenger Space Shuttle exploded after take-off....

If they were alive at the altitude they were at (the edge of the atmosphere), I'm pretty certain that people on the TWA plane which was at 13,000 feet were alive :P

Still waiting.....

86515[/snapback]

Agreed...

There is evidence (medical data) that at least some of the astronauts were still alive after the Challenger Space Shuttle exploded after take-off....

If they were alive at the altitude they were at (the edge of the atmosphere), I'm pretty certain that people on the TWA plane which was at 13,000 feet were alive :steamtrain:

86520[/snapback]

Carbon Carbon :P

Still waiting.....

86515[/snapback]

Agreed...

If they were alive at the altitude they were at (the edge of the atmosphere), I'm pretty certain that people on the TWA plane which was at 13,000 feet were alive :icon_lol:

86520[/snapback]

86521[/snapback]

That was Columbia Columbia... <_<

:steamtrain:

Still waiting.....

86515[/snapback]

Agreed...

If they were alive at the altitude they were at (the edge of the atmosphere), I'm pretty certain that people on the TWA plane which was at 13,000 feet were alive <_<

86520[/snapback]

86521[/snapback]

That was Columbia Columbia... :scare:

:steamtrain:

86523[/snapback]

Well, the link was there, and it made me laugh anyway :icon_lol:

God, that was some night :)

Still waiting.....

86515[/snapback]

Have you any hard EVIDENCE they do?

Thought not, therefore they don't. :)

86517[/snapback]

I'm gonna run at Rob waving a fuck-off sword above my head, screaming "I'm gonna cut your fucking head off". See if he has any trauma :scare:

86518[/snapback]

I am also a master of several ancient eastern martial arts unknown in the West which were taught to me by a Master who just happened to run a take-away in Heaton - be warned my friend!!! :steamtrain::icon_lol:<_<

Edited by Rob W

This thread has really freaked me out actually, even though I contributed to a lot of it. No wonder I really hate flying, I'm always scared the worst will happen.

So ignore everything I have said. In the impossible event of a plane crash, you will not be aware of what is happening. At all. There, that's better. :P

This thread has really freaked me out actually, even though I contributed to a lot of it. No wonder I really hate flying, I'm always scared the worst will happen.

So ignore everything I have said. In the impossible event of a plane crash, you will not be aware of what is happening. At all. There, that's better.  :P

86528[/snapback]

Statistically you're more likely to die in the waiting lounge :steamtrain:

So ignore everything I have said. In the impossible event of a plane crash, you will not be aware of what is happening. At all. There, that's better.  :P

86528[/snapback]

Statistically you're more likely to die in the waiting lounge <_<

86529[/snapback]

I used to say that statistically you are more likely to die from a coconut falling on your head. But then when I was sunbathing in St Lucia last year, a coconut fell from a tree and missed my head by about 6 inches. Judging by the weight of it, I reckon a direct hit could have killed me! :icon_lol:

Now I'm scared of coconuts as well. :steamtrain:

"There is evidence (medical data) that at least some of the astronauts were still alive after the Challenger Space Shuttle exploded after take-off...."

Christ man - it disintegrated in 4 seconds

http://history.nasa.gov/rogersrep/genindex.htm

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/missio...docs/events.txt

Shows the fire was noticed at around 73 secs, the last radio transmission was at 74.1 seconds and the whole thing disintegrated in a fireball at 78 seconds with major bits (like the wings) going all over the place

It was travelling at Mach 1.8 at 46,000 ft - no-one survived that...............

I trust Rob's opinion on this one, who can doubt that he hasn't experienced death in a plane crash ??

Lets face it, he's done everything else !