Portsmouth (h)

Holden McGroin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's utterly ridiculous the way we manage to make sure every foreign player we buy ends up a failure. And no, it's not always down to the players.

89058[/snapback]

Yeah, it's all our fault. Poor Luque has desperately wanted to take on his full-back, but the cruel coaching staff at NUFC have put lead weights in his shinpads.

It was also our fault that Robert couldn't get a game for Portsmouth and eventually spat his dummy out.

Edit: ...and with perfect irony, Souey's £9 million signing cries off and Bobby's cost-nothing left-winger puts us in the lead.

Edited by Sicklee Sausage Roll

It's utterly ridiculous the way we manage to make sure every foreign player we buy ends up a failure. And no, it's not always down to the players.

89058[/snapback]

Yeah, it's all our fault. Poor Luque has desperately wanted to take on his full-back, but the cruel coaching staff at NUFC have put lead weights in his shinpads.

It was also our fault that Robert couldn't get a game for Portsmouth and eventually spat his dummy out.

89076[/snapback]

I didn't say Luque wasn't to blame, it goes without saying that he's been poor. What I'm saying is that while it's true that many (expensive) foreign players that come to this club turn out to be failures, it's not always down to the players.

See this thread.

89058[/snapback]

89076[/snapback]

I didn't say Luque wasn't to blame, it goes without saying that he's been poor. What I'm saying is that while it's true that many (expensive) foreign players that come to this club turn out to be failures, it's not always down to the players.

See this thread.

89077[/snapback]

The problem is that while we aren't as big as Man Utd, Liverpool etc, we can afford to pay out the same wages as those clubs. While the top clubs get the cream of Europe, we get the ones who want to be a big fish in a little pond.

Kluivert, Ginola and Robert were/are all world-class players who lost their places in the national side - in their mid twenties, where they should have hit their peak - because they can't be arsed to put the effort in.

The two decent foreign players we've had who were dedicated professionals (Hamman and Dumas) had the good sense to leave as soon as they could.

Edited by Sicklee Sausage Roll

Damn, lost the momentum.

89086[/snapback]

Mainly confidence imo - if we can hang on then we could build on it.

89087[/snapback]

Sure, but it is not good for my nevers ... and for those of Boumsong, Bramble & Co.

I'd rather see us putting them under pressure as in the first half.

The problem is that while we aren't as big as Man Utd, Liverpool etc, we can afford to pay out the same wages as those clubs. While the top clubs get the cream of Europe, we get the ones who want to be a big fish in a little pond.

Kluivert, Ginola and Robert were/are all world-class players who lost their places in the national side because they can't be arsed to put the effort in.

The two decent foreign players we've had who were dedicated professionals (Hamman and Dumas) had the good sense to leave as soon as they could.

89083[/snapback]

I'd say that neither Ginola nor Robert were failures - Robert especially was (together with Bellamy) instrumental in getting us into the Champions League, whatever you may think of his last 18 months here. That's not the point though.

Do you seriously think we're doing enough to make sure players from abroad settle here? Do you seriously think that if we had bought Pires and Henry, they would have been as successful as they've been at Arsenal? With us, it's a case of getting lucky - some players will adapt (like Solano) and most of them won't.

The problem is that while we aren't as big as Man Utd, Liverpool etc, we can afford to pay out the same wages as those clubs.

And it's precisely because of the wages we pay out and the money we spend on foreign players that we should do more to make sure they adapt and settle, instead of leaving it all to them and getting on their backs if they don't perform from day one.

SHEARER!!! :doubleact:

Dyer's warming up. Anyone fancy a sweepstake on how long he lasts? :doubleact:

89095[/snapback]

He'll be ok, now Souness has gone, our injuries will improve !