Much better for Luque to train

Scottish Mag

From.cock

By Gary Oliver

ALBERT Luque will benefit far more from spending Saturday training in Newcastle rather than watching from the stands as United take on Aston Villa, says caretaker boss Glenn Roeder.

The Spaniard was not in the travelling Magpies party that made its way to the West Midlands on Friday, and instead he will report for training back on Tyneside to work on his fitness.

And Roeder is certain that is best for all involved, telling nufc.co.uk: "There is no value or purpose in bringing him down to sit in the stands when he could be back home training.

"Albert trained on Friday and he was very happy. And he agreed that the best thing, if he was not going to be starting or on the bench, would be to stay at home and train in Newcastle.

"We've got a specific fitness programme for him to work on. He'll be working with Paul Ferris and Adrian Lamb and he will have a much more beneficial day.

"There's every chance that Craig Moore will be in for training as well."

Roeder could well keep faith with the same squad who performed so well in last Saturday's 2-0 win over Portsmouth when he tackles Villa, and the former skipper continued: "It's common sense to me that if he's not going to be involved in the first 16 that there is nothing to be gained in bringing him, in putting him on the plane and watching the game, when he could be at home working on his fitness.

"He will get something out of the weekend. He may well do some ball work as well and I wouldn't be surprised if Albert decides to come in on Sunday as well, even though it would be his day off.

"He certainly has not been left out in the cold. Far from it. In fact it's a positive decision  to let him stay in Newcastle and get in a good day's training when it could be a wasted weekend if we brought him away."

Earlier in the week Roeder singled out Luque for praise in his attitude towards training, and it's clear he sees the former Deportivo La Coruna man as having an important role to play in the remainder of the season.

He added: "I'm sure he has an important part to play in between now and the end of the season.

"The key is to have the squad fit and to get the players who have been injured back to full fitness."

its a total wankfest with these two lately !

but seriously - roeder obviously rates the lad and is aware of the stick he's had from the home crowd. (hence not playing him)

when he does start a game - we could see a competely different player

How could Souness not get him fit. He has been back for ages...

92682[/snapback]

From the injury that he sustained, there's no way he should have been back so early. I was amazed he came back as quickly as he did tbh.

It's clear to everyone he's not fit; he looks slower than Shearer. For a lad who thrives on his pace, that's not good.

Been told quite a lot that he is actually pretty slow, but I've seen videos of him, and he certainly doesn't look slow. He easily beat a defender for pace then chipped the goalie rather skillfully if I remember, and has a great strike. Apparently though, his scoring record isn't too impressive.

Been told quite a lot that he is actually pretty slow, but I've seen videos of him, and he certainly doesn't look slow. He easily beat a defender for pace then chipped the goalie rather skillfully if I remember, and has a great strike. Apparently though, his scoring record isn't too impressive.

92688[/snapback]

47 in 148 (64 of which he was sub)

Compared to Bellamy, who has 65 in 159 (16 as sub) it's not as bad as we think, especially looking at the amount of games he didn't start.

Actually, looking at those figures, it does appear that we bought a squad player, but 33 of his substitute appearances were in his first season at Depo.

I have to say that I am really impressed so far with how Roeder is adressing the problems. Even a questionable decision like omitting Luque from the team sheet is handled well by giving a proper explanation. If you buy it then the assesment of Luque's fitness state is a slap into Souness's face.

But there other things I am really happy about as well, like Roeder explaining his stance on the defence.

"I asked our IT man to put together a collection of all the goals we've conceded this season and I've watched it a number of times - say no more. Lots of goals, we've given to the opposition. We've got to be men and admit that.

"I was brought up to believe that if you can admit there is a problem, you are half way to solving it. If you get people who say there isn't a problem, you will never improve." Such a statement could be perceived as a less than thinly-veiled criticism of the former management team.

That's a nice change of tune to the tosser's "I've done nothing wrong, everything is fine." and the baffling lack of self-criticism.

I have to say that I am really impressed so far with how Roeder is adressing the problems. Even a questionable decision like omitting Luque from the team sheet is handled well by giving a proper explanation. If you buy it then the assesment of Luque's fitness state is a slap into Souness's face.

But there other things I am really happy about as well, like Roeder explaining his stance on the defence.

"I asked our IT man to put together a collection of all the goals we've conceded this season and I've watched it a number of times - say no more. Lots of goals, we've given to the opposition. We've got to be men and admit that.

"I was brought up to believe that if you can admit there is a problem, you are half way to solving it. If you get people who say there isn't a problem, you will never improve." Such a statement could be perceived as a less than thinly-veiled criticism of the former management team.

That's a nice change of tune to the tosser's "I've done nothing wrong, everything is fine." and the baffling lack of self-criticism.

92712[/snapback]

Aye, he's doing and saying all the right things. Let's hope there aren't any knee jerks from various blinkered types today if we lose. I'm expecting some people to claim Souness shouldn't have been sacked when we lose our first game under Roeder.

It is nice to see someone making a genuine attempt to address issues of fitness and coaching. It's the sort of thing you would expect of decent coaches I suppose. It's just to be hoped that whoever Shepherd brings in next has a similar attitude to things or else this could all be very short-lived.

I'm really pleased to see him working properly with Luque to find a solution to his poor form.

92712[/snapback]

Aye, he's doing and saying all the right things. Let's hope there aren't any knee jerks from various blinkered types today if we lose. I'm expecting some people to claim Souness shouldn't have been sacked when we lose our first game under Roeder.

92714[/snapback]

Are you really, genuinely expecting that or was it designed to get a reaction - genuine question btw, not a dig? Given the clamour for Souness to go, I can think of no one who will say that tbh.

92688[/snapback]

47 in 148 (64 of which he was sub)

Compared to Bellamy, who has 65 in 159 (16 as sub) it's not as bad as we think, especially looking at the amount of games he didn't start.

Actually, looking at those figures, it does appear that we bought a squad player, but 33 of his substitute appearances were in his first season at Depo.

92691[/snapback]

Not as bad as we think, though still wouldn't say he's very prolific as a striker despite the substitute appearances, although he would have played on left-wing a bit too I'm sure. He has seemed much more comfortable as a striker, though I think the Spain international side seem to think of him as more of a winger.

More Roeder quotes:

"In training on Thursday, it was the old Kieron Dyer again in terms of playing the ball, receiving the ball, running at people and sprinting for quick one-twos."

"He was playing with Nobby Solano and everyone has been telling me that those two have always had a close working relationship on the field."

"It's also important that he looks very happy. He was joking, he was laughing, and happiness is one of the keys to anyone being successful. If you are not happy I don't know how you will ever be successful. An unhappy person will never achieve anything. All the signs are very positive and 10 or 11 sparkling performances would certainly make the right person sit up and take notice."

I think it's fair to say that he's said more sensible things in a week than Souness has in 18 months.

More Roeder quotes:

"In training on Thursday, it was the old Kieron Dyer again in terms of playing the ball, receiving the ball, running at people and sprinting for quick one-twos."

"He was playing with Nobby Solano and everyone has been telling me that those two have always had a close working relationship on the field."

"It's also important that he looks very happy. He was joking, he was laughing, and happiness is one of the keys to anyone being successful. If you are not happy I don't know how you will ever be successful. An unhappy person will never achieve anything. All the signs are very positive and 10 or 11 sparkling performances would certainly make the right person sit up and take notice."

I think it's fair to say that he's said more sensible things in a week than Souness has in 18 months.

92727[/snapback]

Och aye, under the tosser the dressing room was happy, too. Allegedly.