Rumours abound

Gemmill

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is O'Neill it better be a package deal for him and his no.2, John Robertson.

Anyone read Cloughie's biography?

He rated MON as a brilliant manager but also says JR is part of the reason why and he didn't know if without him MON would be as successful.

One other thing, wasn't there rumours abound that FF possibly had a bet on clueless being our manager?

What if his release the other day was a smoke screen to help the Hitzfield odds back up?

It's not like the guy has any scrupples and wouldn't be keen to make a bit more on the side!

Just to raise the hopes of you pro-jormans out there.

• 3 weeks later...

Reet, I was told the following last night by someone I consider to be a decent source (not a bullshitter basically), who has been told this independently by a director at Northern Rock, and someone who works for Freddie:

The job is O'Neill's, he's been offered it and accepted it. There are a couple of things to sort out - one of them being that he still has some sort of formal arrangement with Celtic to return there once his wife is well, which isn't going to be exercised because his return to football has come sooner than expected for both him and Celtic (they've got Strachan now and are sticking with him). Shepherd is in the process of sorting out a house for him and his wife, somewhere fairly close to the airport, and nothing formal will be announced until it's all sorted for them to be in their house, so that he's not having to do any silly commutes or causing unnecessary upheaval for the wife or anything like that. Apparently he's on a pretty massive contract as well, money-wise.

There you go anyway, I stand to look like a mong if it's not true, but I've no reason to think this bloke was lying.

Im not saying its not true but it amazes me in these rumours who it is that is seen as a credible source, "a director at Northern Rock"? why would they be privvy to that info? in a previous rumour it was a chief steward who was seen as the source. Basically if someone has a connection with the club in any shape or form then they're trusted by people as being a credible source.

As Freddy so eloquently hinted at the other week "betting scams galore!"

Northern Rock are NUFC's main sponsor. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that they would be privy to this sort of information given the sort of money they plough into the club. I'd be less inclined to believe a chief steward like.

It might well be bullshit, but a Northern Rock director certainly wouldn't be the worst source I could think of. :)

not the worst I agree although I still dont see what it has to do with the sponsors, we are a Plc and as Im sure HTL will rightly point out all the work/ decisions etc are made by Freddy and the board.

And frankly, unless we're planning on appointing Gary Glitter as manager then Im sure its got sweet FA to do with the sponsors.

Quick edit though: Im sure with Freddys gob everybody whe's ever set foot in the board room over the last 2 months will have been told who hes got planned etc.

Assuming for a second that this story is true, if an appointment had got to the stage that this story suggests it has, then the sponsors would certainly know by now who the new manager is, I would think.

EDIT! I think you might be underestimating the role of the sponsor too btw. They have a vested interest in us not appointing another Souness, and as such will be kept informed as to developments, I'm sure.

Edited by Gemmill

Well, if it's not true then I'm first in the queue with the bat.

104333[/snapback]

You're just jeal cos it's me with the latest rumour and not you. :D

104336[/snapback]

This rumour is soooooooooo last week. :)

By the way, if it does turn out that we get O'Neill, I think it might tip some mackems over the edge. Both of us managerless, and yet, rabid Sunderland fan, badge-tattooed-arsed Martin O'Neill plumps for Newcastle over them?? They'll be throwing themselves through the walls in the glass centre.

Legends last night, first caller on was a mackem. He spends 10 minutes going on about how there is only one man for SAFC. The legends keep going 'name him! name him!' but he keeps building it up and bilding it up. In the end, he does this dramatic pause and goes 'Martin O'Neil.' Cue Slaven pressing the laughing policeman button and the whole studio erupting into fits of laughter. :)

As much as it is laughable, Slaven needs his fucking head kicking in tbh...

104432[/snapback]

Oh aye, but he scores brownie points for comic timing and mackem piss taking in this instance. By the way, Supermac praised our performace on Saturday as battling and determined yet STILL couldn't bring himself to praise Scott Parker despite him having another excellent game imo. Praised Robbie Elliott to the hilt though. Figures. :)

How, Dan The Man!  Stop nicking my rumours and passing them off as your own on other message boards! :)

104460[/snapback]

Toontastic exclusive though :D

(where's he posted it? SMB?)

How, Dan The Man!  Stop nicking my rumours and passing them off as your own on other message boards! :)

104460[/snapback]

Toontastic exclusive though ;)

104462[/snapback]

Nah, someting called offsideref. He claims me as his "source". :D

Don't worry I've got the bases covered - it's posted on N-O an'all and if it turns out to be bollocks then it's their exclusive. :icon_lol:

104460[/snapback]

Toontastic exclusive though :icon_lol:

104462[/snapback]

Nah, someting called offsideref. He claims me as his "source". ;)

Don't worry I've got the bases covered - it's posted on N-O an'all and if it turns out to be bollocks then it's their exclusive. <_<

104463[/snapback]

Its alreet, already created a replacement thread that has you saying "O'Neill will NOT I repeat NOT sign for the Toon, I know cos the bloke who cleans the stairs at SJP told me". should we need it. :D

My mates brother supposedly is in with some background staff as he gets tickets for a box week and week out and he says o'neil definatly coming to the toon, whether this is true or not i dont know but i wouldnt trust my mate so god knows why i mentioned it lol :)

Edited by daveytait176

Reet, I was told the following last night by someone I consider to be a decent source (not a bullshitter basically), who has been told this independently by a director at Northern Rock, and someone who works for Freddie:

The job is O'Neill's, he's been offered it and accepted it.  There are a couple of things to sort out - one of them being that he still has some sort of formal arrangement with Celtic to return there once his wife is well, which isn't going to be exercised because his return to football has come sooner than expected for both him and Celtic (they've got Strachan now and are sticking with him).  Shepherd is in the process of sorting out a house for him and his wife, somewhere fairly close to the airport, and nothing formal will be announced until it's all sorted for them to be in their house, so that he's not having to do any silly commutes or causing unnecessary upheaval for the wife or anything like that.  Apparently he's on a pretty massive contract as well, money-wise.

There you go anyway, I stand to look like a mong if it's not true, but I've no reason to think this bloke was lying.

104324[/snapback]

Ahem!!! And what if it is true? What's the difference in appearance?! :)

If O'Neill has been offered the job, surely the stock exchange would have to be told???

I reckon it's Allerdyce's in the summer. I am so confident, I have 600 on him at William Patel's at 8/1.

Ahem!!! And what if it is true? What's the difference in appearance?! :)

If O'Neill has been offered the job, surely the stock exchange would have to be told???

I reckon it's Allerdyce's in the summer. I am so confident, I have 600 on him at William Patel's at 8/1.

104670[/snapback]

600 rupees? :D