Tony Blair’s knighthood

Asprilla

43 minutes ago, NJS said:

Not purity, just think private money with a cost has no place in public services. The investment was fine but should have been funded differently. 

I'd like to see a comparison of the long term costs of pfi versus public borrowing. 

Like I said, that level of investment and service provision needed private sector involvement. Name me a single country where the private sector doesn't have involvement in healthcare? Just Cuba maybe? PFI is also a massively exaggerated issue. Anyway, we've been going around this in circles for years. The New Labour years were the best years this country ever had imo. 

• Like 1

Monkey’s Fist, unless you don’t consider bombing Muslims for nonsensical reasons to be something to regret I’d be very interested to hear why you think Savile and Thatcher were worse than Blair.

Do you think it doesn’t matter because he didn’t kill them with his own hands?

What does them being Muslim have to do with anything? I mean I know the answer but I find it annoying. You think it's some kinda gotcha for left wingers to invoke someone who attacked Muslims in particular, because Islam is a sacred cow of the left.

He wasn't a cunt for attacking them because they were Muslim, he was a cunt for attacking them because they were human beings. The left is concerned with human beings.

Blair did a lot of good in this country domestically, but ruined his legacy with the war. I do think it was a war crime. I don't think he should be knighted. I do think we should abolish the monarchy. Thatcher was a weapons grade cunt.

That's my view.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

What does them being Muslim have to do with anything? I mean I know the answer but I find it annoying. You think it's some kinda gotcha for left wingers to invoke someone who attacked Muslims in particular, because Islam is a sacred cow of the left.

He wasn't a cunt for attacking them because they were Muslim, he was a cunt for attacking them because they were human beings. The left is concerned with human beings.

Blair did a lot of good in this country domestically, but ruined his legacy with the war. I do think it was a war crime. I don't think he should be knighted. I do think we should abolish the monarchy. Thatcher was a weapons grade cunt.

That's my view.

She’d have been fizzing at the slit if Reagan had asked her to embark on a similar project 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

That's my view.

It’s relevant because despite the left’s current obsession with identity politics, if they were white Europeans I think there would be more made of the deaths caused.

it’s as if, oh well, that lot are always fighting anyway so who cares.

they may well be but us doing it to them doesn’t make it ok.

Blair is a centrist. The left absolutely despises the guy. You can see this very readily if you spend a bit of time looking at the division in the current Labour Party.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Blair is a centrist. The left absolutely despises the guy. You can see this very readily if you spend a bit of time looking at the division in the current Labour Party.

I know he’s a centrist, I was answering your point about why I mentioned that he’s responsible for the deaths of thousands of Muslims

specifically.

The way I address that apropos Labour is that there isn’t a single British government in history who wouldn’t have done the same. 

Even Atlee was balls deep in imperialism. 

• Like 2

I agree with that, but I still don't think he should be honoured, especially given the resentment towards him from the left and right.

But I basically agree with NJS anyway. Abolish the monarchy.

What I will say in defence of Thatcher, is that she was far, far, far more competent than Boris Johnson. But in terms of her view of society, I always come back to that Neoliberalism article by Monbiot.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/15/neoliberalism-ideology-problem-george-monbiot

55 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

I know he’s a centrist, I was answering your point about why I mentioned that he’s responsible for the deaths of thousands of Muslims

specifically.

They're just people to me, whether they're Muslims or not is irrelevant in my judgement of the situation. Having said that, I'm opposed to identity politics myself.

Fair enough though, I understand your point.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

They're just people to me, whether they're Muslims or not is irrelevant in my judgement of the situation. Having said that, I'm opposed to identity politics myself.

Fair enough though, I understand your point.

We agree on that. 👍🏼

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asprilla said:

I’ll assume you can’t argue it so are attempting to deflect with humour.

pretty lame but ok

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I assume you’re desperate to draw him into an argument and I assume he isn’t biting 

1-0 to Alex. 

I could argue whatever point you think you’re making, but you’re a whopper, so I’ve got more constructive ways to waste my life, cheers. 

I am, though, curious to know why you’ve suddenly shown up after I don’t care how long, full of piss and vinegar, and gone on a *checks notes, 2 day ( so far) crusade to win Cunt of the Month in record time? 

(Your choice of battle topics are dreary as fuck mind, Brexiteers and Antivaxxers bore the tits off me now, tbh. You could at least have tried something a bit more spicy?) 

But I digress, back to “why is this tit back and angry?”… because you are, aren’t you, as polite as you’re trying to be, your mask slips with predictable regularity and the little barbs show that you’re furious about something. 

Is it;

1- Your lass has had enough and fucked off with Pierre the dashing young waiter from what was once your favourite restaurant?

2- All your mates have had it with you telling them to “do your research” and ghosted you? 
3- Your bank account is as empty as your soul, because the accumulated effects of Brexit and Covid have shafted you harder than a Lemon Stealing Whore? 
4- All of the above? 

“ Blair is worse than Jimmy Savile”… :lol: honestly, are you surprised Pierre is sharing his tips with Mrs. A, coming out with gibberish like that? 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Rayvin said:

That's my view.

You forgot the apology :wink2:

2 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

1-0 to Alex. 

I could argue whatever point you think you’re making, but you’re a whopper, so I’ve got more constructive ways to waste my life, cheers. 

I am, though, curious to know why you’ve suddenly shown up after I don’t care how long, full of piss and vinegar, and gone on a *checks notes, 2 day ( so far) crusade to win Cunt of the Month in record time? 

(Your choice of battle topics are dreary as fuck mind, Brexiteers and Antivaxxers bore the tits off me now, tbh. You could at least have tried something a bit more spicy?) 

But I digress, back to “why is this tit back and angry?”… because you are, aren’t you, as polite as you’re trying to be, your mask slips with predictable regularity and the little barbs show that you’re furious about something. 

Is it;

1- Your lass has had enough and fucked off with Pierre the dashing young waiter from what was once your favourite restaurant?

2- All your mates have had it with you telling them to “do your research” and ghosted you? 
3- Your bank account is as empty as your soul, because the accumulated effects of Brexit and Covid have shafted you harder than a Lemon Stealing Whore? 
4- All of the above? 

“ Blair is worse than Jimmy Savile”… :lol: honestly, are you surprised Pierre is sharing his tips with Mrs. A, coming out with gibberish like that? 

Quite a lot of projection there :lol:

This place has always been cliquey and narrow minded.

I’m back here because football wise things are interesting again.

9 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Except Jews, obvs 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Mate, the Jews are human beings too. Some of the stuff that gets posted on here sometimes, seriously... ;) 

:lol: I was teasing and I don’t think there’s appetite from anyone on this board to get into it again.

You’re right, of course. But the Corbyn debacle did expose a blind spot in some sections of the left when it comes to antisemitism. 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

:lol: I was teasing and I don’t think there’s appetite from anyone on this board to get into it again.

You’re right, of course. But the Corbyn debacle did expose a blind spot in some sections of the left when it comes to antisemitism. 

True - did you see Emma Watson got in trouble for being anti-semitic the other day? I didn't really look into it truth be told but it feels like it's going to be a never ending debate in many ways.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

True - did you see Emma Watson got in trouble for being anti-semitic the other day? I didn't really look into it truth be told but it feels like it's going to be a never ending debate in many ways.

that was nonsense. a non-story

• Like 2