Coldplay

LeazesMag

Bands like Coldplay probably will get the even split from concerts. But Kid Rock is a solo artist who has a band to support him. Can't see them getting the same as him. I mean they don't even play in all of his songs.

He'll make most of his money from CD's and merchandise.

The live show is even.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BigThompers
I reckon most would know who Arcade Fire were.

Probably not imo.

But then, they're signed to an independent label with none of the financial/advertising clout that Coldplay's major label has.

Arcade Fire are one of the highest selling independent acts going.

:up: Not surprised that nobody snapped them up

The record companies could sell the general public fucking anything.

Easy as.

So talent isn't needed for longevity in the music industry?

No. Spice Girls being a brilliant example.

5 average looking women who can't sing become the biggest thing on the planet on the back of savvy marketing.

And you're suggesting they didn't decline? What about Gareth Gates, Fat rick waller etc etc? Why did the media tell people to like them and why did they nosedive?

Guest BigThompers
Bands like Coldplay probably will get the even split from concerts. But Kid Rock is a solo artist who has a band to support him. Can't see them getting the same as him. I mean they don't even play in all of his songs.

The live show is even.

Source?

The live show is even.

Source?

Experience. I don't need a source.

What difference does it make?

Avril (shite as she is) plays in a band.

So does Kid Rock and he has one of the top 100 selling albums in America of all time. So he's officially an awesome band then?

That was your argument man! :lol:

Are you pissed?

He's a solo artist with a supporting band man :up:

The money from a gig is split equally among members.

I very much doubt that.

avril will get the most with the rest of the band getting an equal split i imagine.

No it is split between musicians, that's fact. (record sales aren't, song writer 50% i think and then the rest)

99% of the time anyway.

Ive got zero facts to back it up (sound familiar?) but with avril being the main draw i bet she get the most out of the band members.

the other band member will get an equal split though im sure.

Joe Bonamassa played Newcastle academy full to capacity -

He's a multi millionaire.

I spoke to him afterwards and he pulled in about £100k and that went four ways equally.

Fact.

im sure it is - but all im saying is that in avrils case, i bet she gets the lying share of any profits from touring.

Guest BigThompers

So does Kid Rock and he has one of the top 100 selling albums in America of all time. So he's officially an awesome band then?

Are you pissed?

I very much doubt that.

avril will get the most with the rest of the band getting an equal split i imagine.

No it is split between musicians, that's fact. (record sales aren't, song writer 50% i think and then the rest)

99% of the time anyway.

Ive got zero facts to back it up (sound familiar?) but with avril being the main draw i bet she get the most out of the band members.

I spoke to him afterwards and he pulled in about £100k and that went four ways equally.

Fact.

OMG this information must mean that anybody that plays in or with any band does things the exact same way!

Are you pissed?

I very much doubt that.

99% of the time anyway.

Fact.

im sure it is - but all im saying is that in avrils case, i bet she gets the lying share of any profits from touring.

Hmm well we can never be sure but in Joe's case it goes four ways.

Probably not imo.

But then, they're signed to an independent label with none of the financial/advertising clout that Coldplay's major label has.

Easy as.

5 average looking women who can't sing become the biggest thing on the planet on the back of savvy marketing.

And you're suggesting they didn't decline? What about Gareth Gates, Fat rick waller etc etc? Why did the media tell people to like them and why did they nosedive?

Their decline was because they turned into a bunch of egotistical cows. They're still a huge name in the music industry, much bigger that Codplay, even if they do only perform once in a blue moon nowdays.

What about the winner of the competition the above two you mentioned entered? Will Young is still sells records and to me he's a passable singer whocan't write his own tunes.

Are you pissed?

I very much doubt that.

99% of the time anyway.

Fact.

OMG this information must mean that anybody that plays in or with any band does things the exact same way!

Id say so yes. :lol:

Upwards of £100k is a lot of money for a nights work wouldn't you say?

Interesting article on songwriting credits here

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/2...g.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- Of all the names in music, Chantal Kreviazuk may be the least likely to appear in a headline. Though she recently released her own album, the songwriter usually stays behind the scenes to pen hits with artists such as Kelly Clarkson, Gwen Stefani and Avril Lavigne.

art.avril.ap.jpg

Songwriter Chantal Kreviazuk claimed Avril Lavigne (above) didn't co-write songs attributed to her.

But earlier this month, Kreviazuk rocked the pop music world by suggesting that Lavigne was a collaborator in name only. Although she quickly retracted her comments and others defended Lavigne, the flap illuminated a long-standing fraud that has become more prevalent than ever: "singer-songwriters" who do much less songwriting than their publicists would have you believe.

"It's crazy!" exclaimed Grammy-winning songwriter Diane Warren, who has written for artists such as Whitney Houston, Celine Dion and Mary J. Blige. "How can someone look in the mirror and know they didn't do something and their name is on it? For money? For credit? It's a lie."

This being the music industry, money is of course a factor, since the writers of hit songs can earn more than the singer over the long term. But today's singers also press for writing credit because it gives them more of a cachet, presenting them as more of a "real artist" in comparison with a star who doesn't write a note.

"It's a practice that's been going on but now it's really prevalent in every situation," says songwriter Adonis Shropshire, who helped pen the hit "My Boo" for Alicia Keys and Usher, and has worked with Chris Brown, Ciara and others.

Shropshire says that many artists will only allow songwriters to work on an album in return for song credit, and "if they do write, they ask for more publishing than they honestly contributed ... it is the way it is."

The practice has been prevalent for decades. Elvis Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker, maneuvered to give the King songwriting credits on early hits like "Love Me Tender" even though he never wrote a word. James Brown was sued by an associate over song credits. Lauryn Hill settled a lawsuit by a group that claimed she improperly took sole production and writing credit on her Grammy-winning album "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill." And Diddy seemed to acknowledge claims that he wasn't really writing his raps in the "Bad Boys for Life" song with the brushoff line: "Don't worry if I write rhymes, I write checks!"

The notion that serious artists have to write their own songs seems to have grown over the past two decades. Today, even the fluffiest of pop acts is credited as having written their own material.

"We as an industry ... don't look at someone who has an incredible voice as an artist, whereas having an incredible voice is artistry," says Jody Gerson, an executive vice president of EMI Music Publishing. "I think people place more of a value on an artist if they write their own songs, it gives them credibility."

Indeed, Lavigne's songwriting abilities have been touted since she broke out as a teen with the hit "Complicated." But how much she contributed to her music has long been scrutinized.

On her first album, Lavigne worked with the writing trio The Matrix, but ditched them on her second album when she felt they were taking too much credit for the songs. "I am a writer, and I won't accept people trying to take that away from me, and anyone who does is ignorant and doesn't know what they're talking about," she defiantly told The Associated Press in 2004.

She connected with Kreviazuk for her sophomore album and the two became close friends. Kreviazuk lauded her songwriting ability in an interview with The AP, also in 2004 -- which made Kreviazuk's comments to Performing Songwriting Magazine all the more curious.

"I mean, Avril, songwriter? Avril doesn't really sit and write songs by herself or anything. Avril will also cross the ethical line, and no one says anything," Kreviazuk -- who was not included on Lavigne's latest album -- told the magazine before retracting her statement. The Matrix later came out to defend Lavigne's songwriting integrity.

Grammy-winning songwriter Dallas Austin says he's had a manager rave about a song Austin wrote all by himself, and then tell him, "We wanna know if we can get a piece of the pie on it because (the artist) wants to feel like she has a part ownership on the song.

"And I'll say, 'In all fairness, no. ... If you want to work with me at least sit here and put something into it, instead of coming after I've done everything and try and claim percentages on it.' "

Gerson calls the practice unfair but says it's "pretty prevalent in pop and R&B ... I think the way people now divide publishing splits is who was in the room. 'OK ... I changed the word "the" to "a," and I deserve 10 percent of the publishing.' "

Sean Garrett, who has created smashes for Beyonce, Kelis, Fergie and others, says he gave up credit when he was just starting out, which is common for newcomers. "It bothered me but I knew it was just a price that I had to pay to continue my career and stay focused with the big prize," he says.

Ne-Yo, a true singer-songwriter who co-wrote Beyonce's "Irreplaceable," says early in his career he had to deal with the same thing. He says some artists feel they are doing a novice a favor by recording their song -- especially if it becomes a hit -- so they deserve a piece of the royalties.

"If you're an unknown songwriter and you are lucky enough to get on a superstar's album and you know that the song is going to be a single," Ne-Yo says, "and it means if it becomes No. 1 everyone is going to know your name because you wrote it, I think it's worth giving up a piece of publishing ... you are going to make your money back."

Shropshire recalls working with an A-list singer, whom he did not want to name, who wrote two words on a song and ended up getting a large piece of the publishing rights. But he couldn't complain when the song became a hit.

"It didn't really bother me that much. The song came out and it did wonderfully well," he says. "That's just the way the industry works."

That shouldn't be the case, says Warren. Although she had credit taken from her early in her career, she quickly put a stop to it. Later, one major superstar demanded some of Warren's royalties for the privilege of said superstar recording her song. But Warren refused.

"It's like, 'OK, you want some publishing? OK then, give me a piece of the money you're making touring for the next five years for the hit I just wrote you.' "

But now that songwriters like Warren, Garrett and Ne-Yo are established, they rarely find themselves taken advantage of any more.

"I give other people credit where credit is due, like Beyonce really did vocally arrange ('Irreplaceable')," Ne-Yo says. "So for someone to come in and take my credit because they are who they are? That doesn't work for me. I don't care who you are. ... I'm not going to give you something you don't deserve."

Guest BigThompers

Probably not imo.

Easy as.

Their decline was because they turned into a bunch of egotistical cows. They're still a huge name in the music industry, much bigger that Codplay, even if they do only perform once in a blue moon nowdays.

What about the winner of the competition the above two you mentioned entered? Will Young is still sells records and to me he's a passable singer whocan't write his own tunes.

Will Young is an immensely talented singer. The thing is, people don't care who writes the music if it sounds good.

Probably not imo.

Easy as.

Because the Media got the most out of them that they could?

Jesus Thompers, do you really need this shit explained to you?

Probably not imo.

Easy as.

Will Young is an immensely talented singer. The thing is, people don't care who writes the music if it sounds good.

Immensely talented singer? Christ, Ella Fitzgerald and Frank Sinatra would be turning in their graves to hear that.

Guest BigThompers
Id say so yes. :up:

Ok and? You think that because you once met somebody that divided the takings evenly that it works the same all across the industry? You moron. This is one of these things you're bringing up pathetically to name drop that you once met this guy...

Guest BigThompers

Probably not imo.

Easy as.

Immensely talented singer? Christ, Ella Fitzgerald and Frank Sinatra would be turning in their graves to hear that.

What? Different eras. He's singing pop music and is one of the better artists there is around at doing so. Like it or not.

Ok and? You think that because you once met somebody that divided the takings evenly that it works the same all across the industry? You moron. This is one of these things you're bringing up pathetically to name drop that you once met this guy...

Not really like :lol: (met him a few times)

Most of the time I would say though. Working musicians have brains too you know :up:

By the way if you like Coldplay buy (download) 'The Seldom Seen Kid' by Elbow.

I have no doubt you will enjoy it.

What? Different eras. He's singing pop music and is one of the better artists there is around at doing so. Like it or not.

Class doesn't change no matter what era it may be. Standards just drop.

Guest BigThompers

Not really like ;) (met him a few times)

Most of the time I would say though. Working musicians have brains too you know :lol:

So if you were presented with the opportunity to play guitar for U2, you'd fuck them off unless you got an equal share of the profits? :up:

Guest BigThompers

But you like Arcade Fire? :up:

you know that the pop in pop music just means popular right?

so Ella Fitzgerald and Frank Sinatra were singing Pop music.

Not really like ;) (met him a few times)

Most of the time I would say though. Working musicians have brains too you know :lol:

So if you were presented with the opportunity to play guitar for U2, you'd fuck them off unless you got an equal share of the profits? :up:

If I was playing guitar for U2 I would want a fucking fortune, but it's not really a 'demand' thing it's just what happens.

Like a policy, like letting an old woman sit down on the bus.

Saying that the guitar parts are a piece of piss and The Edge isn't going anywhere :D

But you like Arcade Fire? :up:

One of the most original bands out there nowadays. Win Butler may not be a fantastic singer but atleast he's writing brilliant music, unlike your mates Will or Chris.

Guest BigThompers
you know that the pop in pop music just means popular right?

so Ella Fitzgerald and Frank Sinatra were singing Pop music.

No they weren't because it wasn't called pop music then.