Lynne Truss

Wor Al

So, a few weeks before Euro 96 she'd never heard of Alan Shearer? He was only the best player in the country at the time like. Tells you all you need to know about her knowledge of football. Stick to punctuation marks pet.

So it sounds like she's admitting to only becoming a football fan due to the Euro 96 bandwagon. Oh dear, you've been sussed.  ;)

113801[/snapback]

The annoying thing is that she's made a career out of it as well. Why do newspapers employ know-nowts like this? HTT has written better articles than that - that's how bad it is.

I've never been much of a one for sticking to a single newspaper (apart from normally getting the Sunday Times) but I used to occasionally buy The Observer's sister paper The Guardian on a Saturday. Part of the reason I stopped doing so was that football coverage was shocking.

I wonder though, would they allow Michael Owen to write (or even ghost write) an article on the finer points of the English language? No probably, because it would have zero credibility. So why is Lynne Truss allowed to write stuff about football?

"Of course, it wasn't always like that. I used to support... er… Manchester United. But then, you had to support them where I came from in... erm... Hampstead."

113807[/snapback]

;) Straight out of Ali G man, without the irony.

"I was always wiv the Man United, but when it became obvious they weren't gonna do the double, I went over to the Arsenal"

'Look at me, I pick and choose who I support as often as I buy new shoes, but I can spell and have big knockers so read on...'

113810[/snapback]

sometimes wish i could do that, im cursed with loving TUFC (bottom of football league) and NUFC, certainly a roller coaster ride! ;)

This is the woman who felt her time would be well spent protesting outside cinemas at the lack of apostrophes in the title of the film Two Weeks Notice, as long as it keeps her out of football stadiums.

This is the woman who felt her time would be well spent protesting outside cinemas at the lack of apostrophes in the title of the film Two Weeks Notice, as long as it keeps her out of football stadiums.

114151[/snapback]

Champions League though, potential for her to be pissed off there ;)

114151[/snapback]

Should there be apostrophes in that context? My proofer keeps editing my work to reflect that, but I've always rejected the changes....

'Look at me, I pick and choose who I support as often as I buy new shoes, but I can spell and have big knockers so read on...'

113810[/snapback]

Fair enough, only if I see a picture of said knockers though.

Women who actually do know about football must shake their heads when they read tripe like that as it puts the neanderthal thoughts that all females know jack-shit about the game right back to the fore.

But, she has managed to form a debate so will no doubt be a happy bunny ;)

Edited by snakehips

113810[/snapback]

Fair enough, only if I see a picture of said knockers though.

114227[/snapback]

ss06handb.jpg

You sure you still want to see them?

Required!

040209_tampon.jpg

114022[/snapback]

Jeeeeeeeeeez, 80's-tastic! :lol:

I'm inclined to agree with the sentiment (of your post and not the article) though....