General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

If I do get redundancy I've got 13 years coming to me so should have plenty time to sort myself something out as well....but I've got a wife and kid and 3 mortgages...if it's just you renting a place then it sounds a perfect chance to do a world tour before locking yourself into another job.

That's shit mate, sorry for your troubles.

There's a bloke we work with; 57yr old. No idea what he's going to do. Most people are young enough to be retrained, or have migratable skillsets, he was struggling when we moved to the new software and away from pen and pad. It's shit and we're all hoping he gets forced redundancy so that he gets enough. If he doesn't he'll probably have to take a minimum wage job. He'll end in May like me, his eldest is supposed to be starting Uni in the Autumn. It might be they can't afford for him to go.

Thanks Obama!

Aye, times like these are shitters.

They're taking on dozens and dozens of cheap grads at the same time. Shocking stuff.

I'm the youngest in the team so ironically I'm best equipped for finding another job...but probably less likely to get the chop.

They're taking on dozens and dozens of cheap grads at the same time. Shocking stuff.

I'm the youngest in the team so ironically I'm best equipped for finding another job...but probably less likely to get the chop.

Have you shown them your work on football stats?

I was honestly giving thought to teaching.

Half as many posts as Fish today though, he deffo deserves the 30% cut ;)

I clocked out the minute I gave them an agreement in principle.

I'm like a tiny naked mother.

Just been told we're safe...for this quarter anyway. :)

Company is committed to losing 29,000 by October though so we'll see how long that lasts.

Congrats on dodging this bullet, but maybe this should serve as a warning shot across the bow?

You should blog more, by the way.

Just been told we're safe...for this quarter anyway. :)

Company is committed to losing 29,000 by October though so we'll see how long that lasts.

Start looking anyway and quite simply look for a company on the up who is expanding. You should never stop looking and never ever hold one iota of loyalty to anyone.

With a job like yours in that sector, there is always a chance of the global market overtaking things.

Start looking anyway and quite simply look for a company on the up who is expanding. You should never stop looking and never ever hold one iota of loyalty to anyone. 

With a job like yours in that sector, there is always a chance of the global market overtaking things. 

I have no loyalty. I'm just last and lack any ambition whatsoever :lol:

Well the company I work for has altered it's contract with the Met Police which means a dramatic change in working hours and as such a dramatic reduction in pay (-30%).

So I've negotiated a voluntary exit package of 6 months tax free at the end of this contract which is beginning of May. I've no debt to speak of so am wondering what exactly to do with myself.

I'm confident in getting a new job soon after (already been offered a couple), but I want to take a while to enjoy this windfall. Obviously some of it will be put away for a rainy day, some will be used as a buffer in case my start date is a couple of rent payments later, but the rest I want to spend doing something Once-In-A-Lifetime-y.

Any ideas?

Sorry to hear about the job - have you considered travelling? You might not get a better opportunity and it's a very rewarding thing to do, even if you have done some of it in the past. For instance - go to South America and perhaps be in Brazil for the WC?

Alternatively I'd heartily suggest Japan. 6 month entry VISAs.

Sorry to hear about the job - have you considered travelling? You might not get a better opportunity and it's a very rewarding thing to do, even if you have done some of it in the past. For instance - go to South America and perhaps be in Brazil for the WC?

Also buliding on that - saw Gemmil's post. He's right depending on the kind of person you are. If you think you're a 'more often than not landing on your feet' kinda guy, then travel.

If you're not, then don't.

Ultimately I don't think you'd ever regret using it to do something cool, and you might regret not doing so.

Just got a pay rise. :)

Still going to look for jobs outside of the kitchen though. I'm hoping to do some food buying, just need to find somewhere willing to take on a trainee.

giphy.gif

Beware the pixels!

Also buliding on that - saw Gemmil's post. He's right depending on the kind of person you are. If you think you're a 'more often than not landing on your feet' kinda guy, then travel.

If you're not, then don't.

Ultimately I don't think you'd ever regret using it to do something cool, and you might regret not doing so.

I'm often referred to as "That lucky bastard"