Rooney breaks metatarsal

Jimbo

Don't see the excitement about Wright-Phillips tbh

129906[/snapback]

I like the idea of bringing SWP & Crouch on with 20 minutes to go.

Anyone that quick and direct terrifies defenders (especially late in a game when they might be tired or on a yellow) and we've seen that South American defences haven't got a clue about what to do against Crouch.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a slight side note - how good is Joe Cole now! Remember loads of people turning their noses up at him last year :blush:

129884[/snapback]

The way he beat the three defenders yesterday when I saw it on the replay, he looked for all the world like Maradona (don't laugh! :blush: ). The balance and the way he completely bewildered the defenders, plus the fact he's a barrel chested shortarse. Later on someone on the radio commented on it and mentioned "shades of Maradona", so I wasn't the only one. :o

129887[/snapback]

Jesus wept. These are the signs of an upcoming World Cup. English people getting totally crazy again. What's next? Peter Crouch showing Pele-esque touches? ;)

129898[/snapback]

I didn't say he's as good as Maradona, you tool! I said the balance and the way he beat the players and his build made him LOOK like Maradona. And someone else obviously thought the same for them to have said it on the radio. So shut it. :D

129900[/snapback]

Still a daft comparison. The only one looking like Maradona is probably you. :o

129909[/snapback]

If I'd said he's as good as Maradona, you'd be right. But I didn't. So you're wrong. :(

So you would start three players who are short of match fitness? (A. Cole, Rooney and Owen) Taking an unfit Beckham in 2002 was obviously a mistake and England certainly can't afford to have 3 players like that, Sven should leave Rooney and Cole at home.

give ower ;) cole is fit, hes played in 2 reserve games and hes got 40 days to get himself match fit.

129904[/snapback]

So you would take a player who will have played a maximum of about four full first team games in eight months? Did you see how bad Wayne Bridge was against Argentina due to a lack of games? Its a huge gamble.

so you wouldnt take a a player who is going to start the champions league final to the world cup!

damn right id take him, hes one of the best left backs in the world and if hes played 4 games before the world cup what numpty would leave him at home twiddling his thumbs if hes fit!

My point is that you cannot afford to take a risk with three players, Cole may well come back and look like he's never been away but to take three players who haven't been match fit is a huge gamble.

isnt the whole point to try and win the world cup? if that takes a gamble then so what. its no use hedging our bets and getting to the semis, thats nee use to anyone!

if he has a cracker in the champions league final you will soon be changing your mind!

My point is that you cannot afford to take a risk with three players, Cole may well come back and look like he's never been away but to take three players who haven't been match fit is a huge gamble.

129926[/snapback]

It's more than three: A.Cole, S.Campbell, L.King, W.Rooney, M.Owen

are all going to be suspect/lacking games. Thats a quarter of the outfield squad. Sven has some serious thinking to do.

well i for one am a little for optimistic. gerrard, lampard and cole are in the form of their lives. with any luck beckham will break his foot too and wright phillips will get a game. a back line of robinson, neville, cole, terry and ferdinand is as good as any other in the world and it still looks like owen is going to be fully fit.

129894[/snapback]

Owen & co can look forward to plenty of crosses rolling along the floor and into the side netting then.

Hope Ashton gets called up, Rooney won't travel.

129902[/snapback]

;)

129906[/snapback]

cos hes never had a chance all season. the excitement about his games at citeh was what got them £21mil for him. if he can recover that form again hed be an asset

129910[/snapback]

The fact that Chelsea paid that much for him doesn't make him worth that amount. He's done nothing all season, when he's been given a chance, and has never done anything of any note for England. You have to pick players on current form, not how they used to be. You may as well take Richardson because he scored a couple for England a while back.

SWP will never has as much impact for England as Beckham.

It's an absolute travesty that a player of Rooney's class won't go to the World Cup. I would have loved to see him play, he would have been one of the stars of the tournament.

Having said that, some of the pessimism is a bit over the top. England have more than a few world class players - a midfield of Lampard, Beckham, Cole and Gerrard is, on paper at least, one of the best midfields around. Also, Rooney's injury could actually take some of the pressure off the players. No-one is going to expect them to win the thing now.

A lot depends on Owen's fitness though. Him and Rooney are the only proven strikers England have.

well i for one am a little for optimistic. gerrard, lampard and cole are in the form of their lives. with any luck beckham will break his foot too and wright phillips will get a game. a back line of robinson, neville, cole, terry and ferdinand is as good as any other in the world and it still looks like owen is going to be fully fit.

129894[/snapback]

Owen & co can look forward to plenty of crosses rolling along the floor and into the side netting then.

Hope Ashton gets called up, Rooney won't travel.

129902[/snapback]

;)

129906[/snapback]

He changed the game in that recent England game, put in a good cross for Cole to score IIRC.

rooney will be missed very dearly by us, and the point several of you guys have raised is about match fitness. rooney when fully fit is possibly the best attacking force in europe coming from deep ( with the possible exception of Ronaldinho who is his peer).

the trouble with this injury is he will not be able to run and we all know how much ground he covers for england..

its a really big loss. and a shame.

question is who else does sven pick. owens going, as is crouch ( for some reason), i personally think ashton should go as he's technically a very good player playing in an average team, defoe has an attitude problem and though i think he's a good premiership player he's short of being world class. bent is probably not quite good enough yet but is learning and has made the step up to the premiership look easy.

we really have no one else that can do rooneys job.

we ain't winning the world cup this time chaps. it ain't happening.

Steven Gerrard:

"Any team without Wayne Rooney isn't as strong. In my eyes he is one of the world's best players now at 20," said the Liverpool skipper.

"It would be a disaster for England if we had to go to the World Cup finals without Wayne. He is idolised around the country and is our main man.

"I think it is impossible to have a successful World Cup without Wayne.

Great to see he's remaining positive ! ;)

Steven Gerrard:

"Any team without Wayne Rooney isn't as strong. In my eyes he is one of the world's best players now at 20," said the Liverpool skipper.

"It would be a disaster for England if we had to go to the World Cup finals without Wayne. He is idolised around the country and is our main man.

"I think it is impossible to have a successful World Cup without Wayne.

Great to see he's remaining positive !  ;)

129977[/snapback]

Not like a scouser to wallow in self-pity :blush: (I'm safe, Renton's not here).

Sven has spoken with Rooney and says he will be taking him if there is any chance of him playing in the later rounds.

129991[/snapback]

Other sources report that he won't take Owen unless he's 100% fit.

Strange.

June deadline for injured Rooney 

England will be allowed to replace Wayne Rooney in their World Cup squad up until 24 hours before their opening match against Paraguay on 10 June.

Fifa confirmed that their regulations allow for a player to be substituted provided the governing body is supplied with evidence of serious injury.

If a replacement is called up Rooney would take no part in the tournament.

Eriksson has to name his 23-man squad for Germany on 15 May, but will announce a provisional squad on 8 May.

Decent news because it means that you can see how he is after the six weeks or so and decide whether or not to risk him.

June deadline for injured Rooney 

England will be allowed to replace Wayne Rooney in their World Cup squad up until 24 hours before their opening match against Paraguay on 10 June.

Fifa confirmed that their regulations allow for a player to be substituted provided the governing body is supplied with evidence of serious injury.

If a replacement is called up Rooney would take no part in the tournament.

Eriksson has to name his 23-man squad for Germany on 15 May, but will announce a provisional squad on 8 May.

Decent news because it means that you can see how he is after the six weeks or so and decide whether or not to risk him.

130396[/snapback]

Aye, thats a decent bit of news. And I spose if anyone can recover in time it'd be a 20 year old lad. Still think it's wishful thinking mind.

I'm surprised at the rule actually. I would have thought that the "serious injury" would have had to have been incurred after you picked the original squad. If you pick the player knowing he's injured and are gambling on his recovery, then I don't really think you should be given the option to change your mind at a later date. Still it works in England's favour this time, so fair enough.

Aye, thats a decent bit of news. And I spose if anyone can recover in time it'd be a 20 year old lad

130401[/snapback]

That you Graeme?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/w...and/4966604.stm

Wayne Rooney has "more than one fracture" and maybe needs a "miracle" to be fit for the World Cup, according to England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson.

The Manchester United striker has since had a second scan on his metartarsal.

Eriksson said: "I knew yesterday [Tuesday] that he had more than one fracture. Miracles happen in life now and then, but I don't really know."

United believe Rooney is six weeks away from training but Eriksson is still set to include him in his squad.

England and Manchester United's medical teams meet on Thursday to discuss Rooney's chances of making the finals.

Rooney broke his foot against Chelsea on Saturday and an initial scan after the match revealed just one fracture.

And reports suggesting that the 20-year-old would definitely miss the World Cup have been played down by United.

A statement said: "Despite stories in the press we believe Wayne is still six weeks away from full training."

Eriksson added: "I will probably name him on Monday. It will be 26 or maybe 27 players.

"I will not rule him out until the doctors tell me there is no chance. No-one wants that to happen, everyone hopes he can take part in the World Cup at some stage."

Eriksson confirmed that Rooney would remain at his club to receive treatment for the duration of his recovery.

"I will be updated on Thursday because our doctor goes to Manchester to see [club doctor] Mike Stone."

:blink:

No point in even naming him in the squad if that's the case. Don't pick him and just get on with what you've got. If he has multiple fractures, he's not gonna be ready for the World Cup.