Snakes on a plane

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this film even have a plot or is it literally just snakes.... well, you know  :lol:

178342[/snapback]

Shh, if those film people read that people now even demand a plot the release of the film will get set back even further...

Words fail me.

178481[/snapback]

try motherfuckin snakes

178505[/snapback]

Never did anyone any harm!!

How does the Northern Soul classic go?

On her way to work one morning,

Along the path beside the lake

A tenderhearted woman found a poor half frozen snake.

Something like that.

Anyway, the snake ended up biting her :lol: That's thanks for you!

£7.50?

you're fucking joking right?

everyone knows/admits/declares that this is going tbe a shit film, and you've just paid £16.00 for the privilege of finding that out first hand?

you're a bigger idiot than I thought.

I am going to watch this film, but only on DVD and only when I've nowt better to do.

£7.50?

you're fucking joking right?

everyone knows/admits/declares that this is going tbe a shit film, and you've just paid £16.00 for the privilege of finding that out first hand?

you're a bigger idiot than I thought.

I am going to watch this film, but only on DVD and only when I've nowt better to do.

180866[/snapback]

So I read this

I just came back from it too. Awesome.

It really helped that the crowd was super into it. They added to the experience, and it makes you realize that the process of watching this film is more of a pop-cultural submersion than it is a cinematic viewing. People were enjoying the fact that they were watching Snakes on a Plane more than they were enjoying Snakes on a Plane. If that makes any sense.

Whenever it was silent during a scene, the crowd would all go, "hssssssssssssssss" and everyone cracked up. Major applause broke out at least a dozen times.

And another thing -- it was good because it knew when it was good. It was not a campy self-aware exercise in irony; it was a slam-bang piece of pop entertainment, and the sincerity of its dedication to the premise gave it some real value. If it had just been a joke, I don't think I'd have liked it so much. It managed to do two things simultaneously: a) not take itself seriously; :( but not condescend to the audience.

Condescending movies say: I'm smarter than the audience. This movie says: We're both smarter than the movie. But the movie is fun anyway. Sit back, relax, enjoy the fright.

and I read this

Simultaneously the worst and best movie i have ever seen in a theater.

There were points in the movie that were unbelievably funny just because they were so over the top rediculous (think the random apperance of the HUGE snake), everybody was cracking up/hooting/hissing during silence/applauding at SLJ's obvious lines, etc.

It helped that some people in the front brought inflatable snakes and the whole crowd was smacking them through the audience like beach balls before the movie started. Added to the atmosphere.

Basically, this is something that you should definitely NOT wait until the DVD comes out to see, because half the experience is experiencing this with a huge crowd of rowdy people who all know this movie is absolutely rediculous. Brilliantly rediculous.

And I thought that sounds like a good night out, I think I will give it a bash.

And hey £7.50 lets go bat shit crazy and live a little

So I read this

It really helped that the crowd was super into it :(  :( .

They added to the experience, and it makes you realize that the process of watching this film is more of a pop-cultural submersion than it is a cinematic viewing. People were enjoying the fact that they were watching Snakes on a Plane more than they were enjoying Snakes on a Plane. If that makes any sense.

Whenever it was silent during a scene, the crowd would all go, "hssssssssssssssss" and everyone cracked up. :lol:

Zany
Major applause broke out at least a dozen times.

And another thing -- it was good because it knew when it was good. It was not a campy self-aware exercise in irony; it was a slam-bang piece of pop entertainment, and the sincerity of its dedication to the premise gave it some real value. If it had just been a joke, I don't think I'd have liked it so much. It managed to do two things simultaneously: a) not take itself seriously; :lol: but not condescend to the audience.

Condescending movies say: I'm smarter than the audience. This movie says: We're both smarter than the movie. But the movie is fun anyway. Sit back, relax, enjoy the fright.

and I read this

There were points in the movie that were unbelievably funny just because they were so over the top rediculous (think the random apperance of the HUGE snake), everybody was cracking up/hooting/hissing during silence/applauding at SLJ's obvious lines, etc.

It helped that some people in the front brought inflatable snakes and the whole crowd was smacking them through the audience like beach balls before the movie started. Added to the atmosphere.

Basically, this is something that you should definitely NOT wait until the DVD comes out to see, because half the experience is experiencing this with a huge crowd of rowdy people who all know this movie is absolutely rediculous. Brilliantly rediculous.

180884[/snapback]

apart from the bits I've highlighted the jist seems to be "Go with a massive group of maters and take the piss out of something stupid."

why not go with a massive group of mates and enjoy something worthwhile?

I suppose the real thing that I baulk at, is the price, £7.50 is a ridiculous fee, I'd understand if this piss poor film was demanding a tiny fee, but to charg ea blockbuster fee for a piece of (no matter how self deprecating)shot offends me.

why not just get a bunch of mates round to your house when it comes out on DVD and make a big night out of it?

So I read this

It really helped that the crowd was super into it :(  :( .

They added to the experience, and it makes you realize that the process of watching this film is more of a pop-cultural submersion than it is a cinematic viewing. People were enjoying the fact that they were watching Snakes on a Plane more than they were enjoying Snakes on a Plane. If that makes any sense.

Whenever it was silent during a scene, the crowd would all go, "hssssssssssssssss" and everyone cracked up. :lol:

Zany
Major applause broke out at least a dozen times.

And another thing -- it was good because it knew when it was good. It was not a campy self-aware exercise in irony; it was a slam-bang piece of pop entertainment, and the sincerity of its dedication to the premise gave it some real value. If it had just been a joke, I don't think I'd have liked it so much. It managed to do two things simultaneously: a) not take itself seriously; :lol: but not condescend to the audience.

and I read this

180884[/snapback]

apart from the bits I've highlighted the jist seems to be "Go with a massive group of maters and take the piss out of something stupid."

why not go with a massive group of mates and enjoy something worthwhile?

I suppose the real thing that I baulk at, is the price, £7.50 is a ridiculous fee, I'd understand if this piss poor film was demanding a tiny fee, but to charg ea blockbuster fee for a piece of (no matter how self deprecating)shot offends me.

why not just get a bunch of mates round to your house when it comes out on DVD and make a big night out of it?

180890[/snapback]

repition, the mother of all cop-outs.

I guess I think £7.50 is a bit much to spend at a cinema, especially as you're gonna buy pop and popcorn etc. taking the single expenditure to over a tenner on a piece of shit film.

in my mind it's no different to spending £10+ on Garfield the Movie, tbh.

I get that it might be a laugh to see a thoroughly toss film and think how wonderfully post-modern you're being, but I think that £7.50 is price too high for such pretention.... and that's coming from Moi

180890[/snapback]

Comes across like the "Why not stay at home and watch the match on the telly, it costs too much and there's every chance we'll play like crap?" argument, and holds just as little water.

It's not like it's really anything to do with post-modernism. It just sounds like a giggle, it's not every day you get to enjoy a group experience where everyone's basically on the same wavelength, and it's barely more than the price of a couple of pints dahn here anyway.

Life must be a right bag of laughs round your gaff. "Sorry I couldn't come out last night, I was so busy analysing my motivations for wanting to go out that by the time I was finished the pub was closed." :(

Edited by Meenzer

Student or no student, the day "£7.50" is a limiting factor in anything is a sad one imo.

You then get into the argument that £4 or whatever would be okay - £4->£7.50 is not worth even thinking about.

repition, the mother of all cop-outs.

I guess I think £7.50 is a bit much to spend at a cinema.........

180900[/snapback]

If repitition is the mother of all cop-outs then stop going on about the price. It's his bloody choice if he wants to pay £7.50 to go and see a film man :(

And Johnny - that wasn't the most in-depth review I've ever read :(