England v Trinidad and Lumbago

manc-mag

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know what Crouch was doing. He should have hit that standing up, he could even have taken a touch and placed it. The worst possible thing with his gangly legs was to needlesly attempt a bycycle kick!

At least Owen can argue his chance bounced straight at him, Crouch had time and space to put away what was a complete sitter.

Great save from Terry at the end there as well!

we so dont deserve that

149245[/snapback]

On what basis. We were poor but completely dominated and created a number of excellent of chances (even if we pissed them away). And the very simple fact if you take your chances and the other team doesn't you deserve the win, fact.

But we were poor, playing far too many long passes until later on.

Lennon made a massive difference and may teach Sven the benefit of positive substituitons, though he's determined Owen won't get time on the pitch to get match fit for when we really need him later on.

Thought Cole was unlucky to be subbed as he played better than Gerrard and Lampard who were off their games, but Sven can always argue his subs changed 0-0 into 2-0.

England were absolute pants before Rooney came on. Lucky you were coming up against a group of plodders.

Lucky you won, because if you put up an effort like that against Sweden they'll flog you.

England were absolute pants before Rooney came on. Lucky you were coming up against a group of plodders.

Lucky you won, because if you put up an effort like that against Sweden they'll flog you.

149253[/snapback]

You mean the Sweden who couldn't beat the team we just have? Its nothing to do with luck we won as we created and scored more goals, don't know why people find that hard to grasp, or does it always just have to be luck when its England.

England aren't playing well clearly, yet they sit there with two wins and no goals conceded. To do well in later stages and win it we need a big improvement, but 2 wins and 2 cleansheets is enough of a start providing they learn from the mistakes in these early games.

What I essentially meant was that if England played like that pre-Rooney against one of the better countries you would lose. No imagination, no flair, lazy defence.

I can see them improving as the tournament moves on.

What was with the crowd singing god save the queen 50 million times? Atmosphere was very poor for an England match tbh.

What I essentially meant was that if England played like that pre-Rooney against one of the better countries you would lose. No imagination, no flair, lazy defence.

What was with the crowd singing god save the queen 50 million times? Atmosphere was very poor for an England match tbh.

149256[/snapback]

I know, its bad enough hearing the national "anthem" at the start, they could think of something better to sing!

It is strange why England fall back on playing the same long passes over and over when things aren't working, but thats the sort of thing the management should have addressed eaons ago as its easilly prevented.

Regardless of the win I thought that was shit, and regardless of his goal I thought the decision to keep Crouch on and take Owen off was pathetic, the reason we were so dire today is because of the way we sacrifice our game to suit Crouch, I thought he looked a right donkey today, Owen was getting closer and closer to getting a goal prior to him coming off.

And as for Frank Lampard.........

Regardless of the win I thought that was shit, and regardless of his goal I thought the decision to keep Crouch on and take Owen off was pathetic, the reason we were so dire today is because of the way we sacrifice our game to suit Crouch, I thought he looked a right donkey today, Owen was getting closer and closer to getting a goal prior to him coming off.

And as for Frank Lampard.........

149261[/snapback]

I agree about Owen/Crouch. Even though Sven can say his choices won the match, Crouch had been poor and OWen was improving a bit for me and he needs time on the pitch. And we do hit the ball up too often.

But if we win the game after the subs and Crouch scores, Sven is in a pretty good position to say i told you so!

But he better give Owen 90 mins or near as possible against the Swedes as its Owen we will need come the later rounds.

149256[/snapback]

I know, its bad enough hearing the national "anthem" at the start, they could think of something better to sing!

It is strange why England fall back on playing the same long passes over and over when things aren't working, but thats the sort of thing the management should have addressed eaons ago as its easilly prevented.

149258[/snapback]

I can understand resorting to long balls when things are not going well and the time is running up. But England played the long ball game right from the start. There is not passing involved in the game at all - especially from the two central midfielders who are barely involved in the build up of attacks.

149256[/snapback]

149258[/snapback]

I can understand resorting to long balls when things are not going well and the time is running up. But England played the long ball game right from the start. There is not passing involved in the game at all - especially from the two central midfielders who are barely involved in the build up of attacks.

149266[/snapback]

Yeah, theres not much point having the players we do and then launching long balls and long passes all the time.

Its why we have to hope that if Rooney starts soon, they will play more football and have the option of Crouch coming off the bench as a different kind of weapon when things need mixing up.

There is no pace in Englands starting line up. Because he hasn't got the bottle to choose between Gerrard and Lampard, the fact that the edge is taken off both of them as attacking players only highlights it.

He has to choose. I would pick Gerrard as he is more mobile, dynamic and offers leadership. Tough luck on Lampard, but thats the way it goes.

Lennon is quick, but Beckham is captain and his crossing is the best there is.

So, if he wants genuine pace along with changing his central midfield, its got to be Downing in his natural position.

Add Rooneys inventiveness and we would be lot more threatening and likely to get to the latter stages, I think.

Agree totally about the long ball thing. I feel sorry for Owen - he's clearly not on form, but in both games he's been taken off just as Sven changes the game more to suit his style. Firstly playing Cole in behind Crouch, it should have been Cole in behind Owen. Then bringing Rooney on today, it clearly should have been Rooney paired with Owen.

At the end of the day you can't argue too much because Crouch stays on and scores, but it's so fucking frustrating the way Sven makes decisions sometimes. I'm very concerned at the prospect of Rooney-Crouch becoming the preferred strikeforce for the remainder of the tournament.

Edited by Gemmill