Office phrases

Smooth Operator

Medicine is full of acronyms. One 'clinical educator' (apparently she used to be a nurse) told me that writing any acronym in a patient's notes, with the exception of MI and TB, is illegal and thus should not be done.

I mentioned this to a consultant after seeing notes awash with acronyms, who said she's clearly never practiced, as it would take years to fill everything out in full!

I've yet to come across a doctor using the more cynical ones, my favourite being a diagnosis of DFKDFC.

(Don't Fucking Know, Don't Fucking Care!) ;)

I quoted Alexi Sayle to our Project Manger the other day but unfortunately she's an Aussie and didn't get the reference - she was setting up some training sessions on a new system and told me she was organising some "workshops".

Cue "Anyone who uses the phrase workshop who isn't involved in light engineering is a twat".

Edited by NJS

My dad's epileptic and he's offended that the term has been changed in case he gets offended. I'd love to know whether any epileptic in history has actually taken offence to the word 'brainstorm'.

Medicine is full of acronyms.

I've yet to come across a doctor using the more cynical ones, my favourite being a diagnosis of DFKDFC.

161827[/snapback]

Fecking hell! I think I've been transcribing MD orders too long as that DFKDFC was immediately interpreted...have to admit I'd love to see that as well. ;)

My dad's epileptic and he's offended that the term has been changed in case he gets offended. I'd love to know whether any epileptic in history has actually taken offence to the word 'brainstorm'.

161921[/snapback]

It'll be the same situation with some nervous white councillor not putting up Christmas decorations for fear of offending people of other religions, who blatently couldn't give a shit.

Medicine is full of acronyms.

161827[/snapback]

Fecking hell! I think I've been transcribing MD orders too long as that DFKDFC was immediately interpreted...have to admit I'd love to see that as well. ;)

161925[/snapback]

I heard one when I was a student nurse (and haven't heard it used since actually) when a doctor referred to a patient as "Mr PF Bundy" Being very wet behind the ears I told him we didn't have a Mr Bundy to which I was informed it meant Pretty Fucked BUt Not Dead Yet :lol:

When I was in 6th Form at School, we got a new headmaster who used to go on like some business wanker. 'Pro-active' 'thinking outside the box' etc. Everyone thought he was a prick, even the teachers.

I HATE business speak. 'Pro-Active' is the worst one. It doesn't actually make any sense for a start. You're either active or you're not.

It's the language of greedy bastards to be honest.

When I was in 6th Form at School, we got a new headmaster who used to go on like some business wanker. 'Pro-active' 'thinking outside the box' etc. Everyone thought he was a prick, even the teachers.

I HATE business speak. 'Pro-Active' is the worst one. It doesn't actually make any sense for a start. You're either active or you're not.

162024[/snapback]

Classic Simpsons moment ;)

162024[/snapback]

Pro-active, instead of Re-active to be honest.

so it does make sense.

still a term used by festering twats mind

• 4 weeks later...

162024[/snapback]

They eventually replaced that dithering fool Cardinal then ;)

Edited by Wacky Jnr

Medicine is full of acronyms. One 'clinical educator' (apparently she used to be a nurse) told me that writing any acronym in a patient's notes, with the exception of MI and TB, is illegal and thus should not be done.

I mentioned this to a consultant after seeing notes awash with acronyms, who said she's clearly never practiced, as it would take years to fill everything out in full!

161827[/snapback]

I remember the doctor that appears on things like Have i got news for you, i think he's called Phil Hammond revealled a couple doctors use to describe patients:

TFTF = Too fat to fly

NFN = Normal for Norfolk

I used to work for one of these pretentious maggots; everything was fucking 'Bigtime' this and 'vis-a-vis' that, even used to talk about 'hinterlands' FFS! ;)

He also liked to believe he knew something about computers so I deliberately used the term 'trojan-horses' in his office to see how long it would take him to use it in a big meeting (having nay idea what it meant). 2 fucking days, tbf I think he'd contained himself.

Run it up the flagpole then hang yersel' off it, necker.

Edited by walkinthedog