Godfather

Holden McGroin

You can't really expect something for nothing though can you.  They are providing a free channel so it has to pay for itself someway and adverts are really the only option.

167568[/snapback]

I didn't ask for anything for free, it was part of my package when I had Sky. That wasn't really my point, any movie channel that supposedly takes quality as seriously as it purports to can't show movies in that format; it's absurd.

They do have a bigger brand to think of, so shutting down the channel completely should maybe have been a realistic consideration.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't really expect something for nothing though can you.  They are providing a free channel so it has to pay for itself someway and adverts are really the only option.

167568[/snapback]

I didn't ask for anything for free, it was part of my package when I had Sky. That wasn't really my point, any movie channel that supposedly takes quality as seriously as it purports to can't show movies in that format; it's absurd.

They do have a bigger brand to think of, so shutting down the channel completely should maybe have been a realistic consideration.

167598[/snapback]

I'm sure shutting the chanel down was given due consideration but I for one am glad they have prefered this route. I know I couldn't consider paying the subscription fee they were charging for the quantity of programming they were offering when I am already paying for the full sky package. This way I get to see the quality films they offer which also allows me to make an informed decision on whether I want to by the films on DVD.

For me, as annoying as adverts are in films they don't dammage the quality of them. If they start cutting them then I would be pissed off.

Edited by David Kelly

Goodfellas > Godfather tbh.

166982[/snapback]

Noooooo.

Godfather is a good half hour longer.

167045[/snapback]

:lol:

I've just been reading about the Italian match fixing scandal, and how it is apparently typical of Italian culture - there is a widespread belief that to suceed you need 'a little bit of help' The help usually comes in the form of favours from referees, commentators etc, in return for more favours. The whole thing made me think of films like Goodfellas and the Godfather.

167056[/snapback]

Observer Sport Magazine? If so, I read it too. Moggi sounds like the closest thing going to a football Don like.

I'm sure shutting the chanel down was given due consideration but I for one am glad they have prefered this route.  I know I couldn't consider paying the subscription fee they were charging for the quantity of programming they were offering when I am already paying for the full sky package.  This way I get to see the quality films they offer which also allows me to make an informed decision on whether I want to by the films on DVD.

For me, as annoying as adverts are in films they don't dammage the quality of them.  If they start cutting them then I would be pissed off.

167626[/snapback]

Fair enough, for me it would be impossible to enjoy the mood being built up being interrupted by often equally well produced but unrelated ads.

As bad as Film Four got it still represented value at about 6 quid a month(?), which is still cheaper than the Sky Movies package?

Sky + them, then just fast forward through the ads tbh.  I'm enjoying having Film4 for nowt and don't notice the ads as I don't watch the films "live".

167630[/snapback]

From what I've heard, you'd drink piss if it was free tbh.

Sky + them, then just fast forward through the ads tbh.  I'm enjoying having Film4 for nowt and don't notice the ads as I don't watch the films "live".

167630[/snapback]

From what I've heard, you'd drink piss if it was free tbh.

167641[/snapback]

I hated it. I found it thoroughly dull, pretentious twaddle. I even went to the cinema to see it as well.

170212[/snapback]

You mean Lost in Translation? not Godfather?

Yeah?

....thank fuck for that

I was afraid I'd have to break out the Orbital sander again...

My big problem with lost in translation was in the trailer. It sold the film on the line that was something like "lets do a jailbreak and get out of here" and they never did. It was a totally different film to what was advertised. If the trailer matched the film better i might have liked it alot more.

My big problem with lost in translation was in the trailer. It sold the film on the line that was something like "lets do a jailbreak and get out of here" and they  never did.  It was a totally different film to what was advertised. If the trailer matched the film better i might have liked it alot more.

170222[/snapback]

oh sure spoil it for the rest of us

:blush:

My big problem with lost in translation was in the trailer. It sold the film on the line that was something like "lets do a jailbreak and get out of here" and they  never did.  It was a totally different film to what was advertised. If the trailer matched the film better i might have liked it alot more.

170222[/snapback]

It was better than her first feature, Virgin Suicides.

The music made lost in translations for me, that and being drunk, suicidal and depressed.

Now we have to wait for her next yawn before Kev Shields gets off his arse and releases something again.

I hated it. I found it thoroughly dull, pretentious twaddle. I even went to the cinema to see it as well.

170212[/snapback]

Thank fuck I'm not the only one who thinks that while the rest of the world joins in one big circle jerk over Bill Murray.

I liked it personally. Beautiful scenery, great acting, and an over-riding sense of melancholy. OK, so nothing really happens, but then, life is actually really like that for most of us, I've yet to have an Indiana Jones day.

I liked it personally. Beautiful scenery, great acting, and an over-riding sense of melancholy. OK, so nothing really happens, but then, life is actually really like that for most of us, I've yet to have an Indiana Jones day.

170285[/snapback]

I think that sums it up pretty well. I wasn't sure whether I liked it or not right up to the end and then Just Like Honey came on and won me over completely.

It was better than her first feature, Virgin Suicides.

The music made lost in translations for me, that and being drunk, suicidal and depressed.

Now we have to wait for her next yawn before Kev Shields gets off his arse and releases something again.

170230[/snapback]

She's made Marie Antoinette. By all accounts it's REALLY bad. Universally panned at Cannes, don't know if there's going to be a different edit released, but her egoism is boundless on it I'm led to believe.

The Virgin Suicides I liked, mainly due to the Air soundtrack. But the soundtrack to Lost In Translation wasn't original enough to make me enjoy it. Watching two conceited individuals pour scorn on people of another culture, and people of their own doesn't do it for me.

The opening shot on the other hand is fantastic. But that's because it's taken wholly from John Kacere, who's a legend.

The opening shot on the other hand is fantastic.  But that's because it's taken wholly from John Kacere, who's a legend.

170306[/snapback]

Doesn't come close to Woodpecker Goes Down a Metal Pole tbh.

The opening shot on the other hand is fantastic.  But that's because it's taken wholly from John Kacere, who's a legend.

170306[/snapback]

Doesn't come close to Woodpecker Goes Down a Metal Pole tbh.

170310[/snapback]

Well who could?

Maybe Hitchcock or Welles in his prime.

170212[/snapback]

Explain.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but my overriding thought at the time was that she seemed to think she was offering some kind of meaningful insight. Whereas it was basically just scenery, Scarlett Johansen looking pretty and some sloppy cliches about the Japanese.

170840[/snapback]

I thought both main characters wandered around this beautiful, alien landscape with a sense of childlike wonderment the whole time, I didn't think they were ever offensive in their stereotypes. I'll admit I don't know much about Japanese culture, I've never been, but I found it interesting. Can you educate me as to what the sloppy cliches were? I obviously wouldn't want to carry around these misconceptions. What was the meaningful insight she was trying to offer, but failed?

I had made the assumption Johansson's character had written it based on her own first-hand experiences (I also thought it was based on a book). I only realised it was Coppola when I saw it last weekend, but I'm still assuming it's based on her experiences.

I had made the assumption Johansson's character had written it based on her own first-hand experiences (I also thought it was based on a book).  I only realised it was Coppola when I saw it last weekend, but I'm still assuming it's based on her experiences.

170855[/snapback]

It is her. Her Ex-husband is Spike Jonze the pop video director (and excellent film director). The dizzy blonde is Cameron Diaz by all accounts, Spike Jonze cast her in Being John Malkovich. Must've wound Sofia up.

I've got to respect her for making it though because as far as I can see it makes her look like a complete tool and I don't know why Spike would put up with her shit.

I thought both main characters wandered around this beautiful, alien landscape with a sense of childlike wonderment the whole time, I didn't think they were ever offensive in their stereotypes. I'll admit I don't know much about Japanese culture, I've never been, but I found it interesting. Can you educate me as to what the sloppy cliches were? I obviously wouldn't want to carry around these misconceptions. What was the meaningful insight she was trying to offer, but failed?

170855[/snapback]

It wasn't just offending the Japanese. (Tthough she did with repeated digs at their English pronunciation. Not the characters, they played it with straight exasperation, but she kept focusing on it for comic effect. YOU'RE IN THEIR COUNTRY BITCH, LETS HEAR YOU SPEAK THEIR LANGUAGE). Bill Murray was a twat who didn't give a shit about his family, fair enough if he's grown distant from his wife but being a shit to his kids didn't endear me to him. Scarlett Johansen was an arrogant bitch who ridiculed everything. So a woman didn't know Evelyn Waugh was a man, is that reason enough to display utter contempt and walk away in the middle of a conversation.

I actually liked the film otherwise :blush: