NUFC VS PSV

Tom

If you take the first letters of all the teams Butt played badly against for us, something very interesting happens...

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to watch Whitley Bay V Whitburn instead of this. Cheap as chips, lovely weather, and with a young team they looked like they were trying to play a lot of football on the deck which is canny for that level. Plus, non league friendlies are never friendly and there were a few choice tackles and words exchanged. Spent the second half sunbathing behind the goal and talking to the away keeper. That's the way to watch football.  ;)

167837[/snapback]

Jesus wept you sound like an old cloth-capped man!

Re: Butt. That twat should never play for us again, end of story. If he's not on the pitch, he won't get booed and embarass all you sensitive souls....

167846[/snapback]

Renton man, you're like a huffy woman sometimes. As long as he plays for us, no one should be booing him. For a start it sounds utterly retarded, and secondly we are not in a position to be able to afford to hound a lad who is on daft money to the point where he'll dread taking possession of the ball. We're stuck with him because of the money we pay him, so if he gets a game (and he might have to if we pick up any injuries) I want him to play well and not get booed by silly arseholes in the crowd. Don't be a silly tart. ;)

167850[/snapback]

FACTAMUNDO...

Whether you like him or not, he plays for us at the moment, and there's fuck all conducive if we boo him. If Roeder picks him, support him!

Renton man, you're like the women I have working for me on the helpdesk. 2 of them can't stand each other and refuse point blankly to help each other out despite the fact that it makes the whole team look shit rather than each other!

167874[/snapback]

So I take it you would support a player no matter what they did or said would you? If they took the shirt off and pissed on it, next match would be fine if they were selected?

167878[/snapback]

Massive difference between pissing on a top and walking off the pitch after an awful performance tbh. I don't see where you're coming from at all.

167894[/snapback]

:lol: Is there?

I was using an extreme example to show how foolish Craig's implication that we should support individual players when they wear the shirt no matter what they've done. It's a two way thing, I will give support but I expect the player to show passion and actually be on our side.

If you think it was just a bad game, then fair enough, I agree. But as I have said, I think there was more to it than that and imo he betrayed us. If that makes me a fruitloop, well, I can take that too. There was certainly a lot of fruitloops at Cardiff though, just some have better memories than others.

I went to watch Whitley Bay V Whitburn instead of this. Cheap as chips, lovely weather, and with a young team they looked like they were trying to play a lot of football on the deck which is canny for that level. Plus, non league friendlies are never friendly and there were a few choice tackles and words exchanged. Spent the second half sunbathing behind the goal and talking to the away keeper. That's the way to watch football.  ;)

167837[/snapback]

Re: Butt. That twat should never play for us again, end of story. If he's not on the pitch, he won't get booed and embarass all you sensitive souls....

167846[/snapback]

Renton man, you're like a huffy woman sometimes. As long as he plays for us, no one should be booing him. For a start it sounds utterly retarded, and secondly we are not in a position to be able to afford to hound a lad who is on daft money to the point where he'll dread taking possession of the ball. We're stuck with him because of the money we pay him, so if he gets a game (and he might have to if we pick up any injuries) I want him to play well and not get booed by silly arseholes in the crowd. Don't be a silly tart. :blush:

167850[/snapback]

FACTAMUNDO...

Whether you like him or not, he plays for us at the moment, and there's fuck all conducive if we boo him. If Roeder picks him, support him!

Renton man, you're like the women I have working for me on the helpdesk. 2 of them can't stand each other and refuse point blankly to help each other out despite the fact that it makes the whole team look shit rather than each other!

167874[/snapback]

So I take it you would support a player no matter what they did or said would you? If they took the shirt off and pissed on it, next match would be fine if they were selected?

167878[/snapback]

Massive difference between pissing on a top and walking off the pitch after an awful performance tbh. I don't see where you're coming from at all.

167894[/snapback]

:lol: Is there?

I was using an extreme example to show how foolish Craig's implication that we should support individual players when they wear the shirt no matter what they've done. It's a two way thing, I will give support but I expect the player to show passion and actually be on our side.

If you think it was just a bad game, then fair enough, I agree. But as I have said, I think there was more to it than that and imo he betrayed us. If that makes me a fruitloop, well, I can take that too. There was certainly a lot of fruitloops at Cardiff though, just some have better memories than others.

167900[/snapback]

Shit off man Renton ;)

Seriously, immediately after the match, how many people were of the opinion it was just another bad game for him? Absolutley no-one I talked too. I reckon you've all got bad memories. None of this laters the fact he is shit anyway. :lol:

Seriously, immediately after the match, how many people were of the opinion it was just another bad game for him? Absolutley no-one I talked too. I reckon you've all got bad memories. None of this laters the fact he is shit anyway.  ;)

167911[/snapback]

You think rage and embarrassment are the best conditions to assess things honestly? And the grammar's gone out the window, breath you're having a nervous breakdown. :lol:

I went to watch Whitley Bay V Whitburn instead of this. Cheap as chips, lovely weather, and with a young team they looked like they were trying to play a lot of football on the deck which is canny for that level. Plus, non league friendlies are never friendly and there were a few choice tackles and words exchanged. Spent the second half sunbathing behind the goal and talking to the away keeper. That's the way to watch football.  :lol:

167837[/snapback]

167846[/snapback]

Renton man, you're like a huffy woman sometimes. As long as he plays for us, no one should be booing him. For a start it sounds utterly retarded, and secondly we are not in a position to be able to afford to hound a lad who is on daft money to the point where he'll dread taking possession of the ball. We're stuck with him because of the money we pay him, so if he gets a game (and he might have to if we pick up any injuries) I want him to play well and not get booed by silly arseholes in the crowd. Don't be a silly tart. ;)

167850[/snapback]

At no point in the history of football has continually booing a player helped that player to play better or helped inspire his team mates to lift their game. And since supporters should want their team to win football matches then booing your own players is moronic and counterproductive.

It also makes our fans look like sad, fickle litte bastards on tv to other fans and the media which whilst not that important isn't great.

If the boss decides Butt is staying and is going to get the odd game then i will support him in the hope he does a job for us and helps the team i support do well. But sadly to some people its more important to give a player stick and make childish pantomime noises than it is to see their team win.

Seriously, immediately after the match, how many people were of the opinion it was just another bad game for him? Absolutley no-one I talked too. I reckon you've all got bad memories. None of this laters the fact he is shit anyway.  ;)

167911[/snapback]

You think rage and embarrassment are the best conditions to assess things honestly? And the grammar's gone out the window, breath you're having a nervous breakdown. :lol:

167918[/snapback]

Why was there rage though? Just because he played shite, or because he actually seemed to be passing the ball to his old team mates? Then went off with his old team and manager?

I went to watch Whitley Bay V Whitburn instead of this. Cheap as chips, lovely weather, and with a young team they looked like they were trying to play a lot of football on the deck which is canny for that level. Plus, non league friendlies are never friendly and there were a few choice tackles and words exchanged. Spent the second half sunbathing behind the goal and talking to the away keeper. That's the way to watch football.  :lol:

167837[/snapback]

167846[/snapback]

167850[/snapback]

At no point in the history of football has continually booing a player helped that player to play better or helped inspire his team mates to lift their game. And since supporters should want their team to win football matches then booing your own players is moronic and counterproductive.

It also makes our fans look like sad, fickle litte bastards on tv to other fans and the media which whilst not that important isn't great.

If the boss decides Butt is staying and is going to get the odd game then i will support him in the hope he does a job for us and helps the team i support do well. But sadly to some people its more important to give a player stick and make childish pantomime noises than it is to see their team win.

167924[/snapback]

I would imagine the people who boo do it to stop him being selected. And who gives a shit how it appears on TV to other fans?

167911[/snapback]

167918[/snapback]

Why was there rage though? Just because he played shite, or because he actually seemed to be passing the ball to his old team mates? Then went off with his old team and manager?

167927[/snapback]

Football fans are full of shite though, especially just after they've lost a cup semi-final. I can understand the feelings towards Butt and I'd expect them to have mellowed by now (at least amongst those of us with a brain).

167837[/snapback]

167846[/snapback]

167850[/snapback]

167924[/snapback]

I would imagine the people who boo do it to stop him being selected. And who gives a shit how it appears on TV to other fans?

167931[/snapback]

I said it wasn't important but i personally prefer not to be lumped in with wankers that boo their own players all the time. And should potential new signings see that it hardly helps your clubs image.

Booing aplayer won't stop them being selected as managers do as they please and i think you're giving some of these "fans" a little too much credit as most of the do it because they think its big and clever and like getting their hatred of a player on show even when it hinders their own team.

167927[/snapback]

I wasn't there, I only saw it on tv, so obviously the likes of you, Gemmill, Alex, will have had a better view. I'm just saying that what people feel after the heat of the moment will generally be much closer to reality.

I don't really blame the lad for seeking comfort from a father figure at probably one of the lowest points of his career, it was ill-judged, but that doesn't surprise me.

I said it wasn't important but i personally prefer not to be lumped in with wankers that boo their own players all the time. And should potential new signings see that it hardly helps your clubs image.

Booing  aplayer won't stop them being selected as managers do as they please and i think you're giving some of these "fans" a little too much credit as most of the do it because they think its big and clever and like getting their hatred of a player on show even when it hinders their own team.

167936[/snapback]

From that perspective I'd say it's very important. Don't slag off Fred for tarnishing the club's image and then diminish the effect of the fan's behavior.

Renton, you said you wouldn't boo him now. Honestly, given your strength of feeling on the matter, I think that if you don't boo him, or have some sort of release mechanism, you might have a stroke at the match.

167927[/snapback]

I wasn't there, I only saw it on tv, so obviously the likes of you, Gemmill, Alex, will have had a better view. I'm just saying that what people feel after the heat of the moment will generally be much closer to reality.

I don't really blame the lad for seeking comfort from a father figure at probably one of the lowest points of his career, it was ill-judged, but that doesn't surprise me.

167938[/snapback]

I wasn't there either but that is between me, Mancy and the mongs at the ticket office :lol:

Booing a player won't stop them being selected as managers do as they please and i think you're giving some of these "fans" a little too much credit as most of the do it because they think its big and clever and like getting their hatred of a player on show even when it hinders their own team.

167936[/snapback]

From that perspective I'd say it's very important. Don't slag off Fred for tarnishing the club's image and then diminish the effect of the fan's behavior.

167940[/snapback]

Luckilly its not in the same league, as players can be quite selfish and the fact some other player at some other club may have got booed by his own fans will quickly leave their mind as its not that important. And fans of every other club pretty much do it! I just don't like my clubs fans doing it and people thinking i might be, because i am not and never will.

Even the stuff Fat Fred gets up to as embrassing as it is and in need of being stopped probably doesn't directly put off loads of players, in fact many seem to think we have a good chairman because he backs the manager with cash.

I wasn't there either but that is between me, Mancy and the mongs at the ticket office :lol:

167942[/snapback]

I'd swear you said you were there above, fecking part-timer tbh.

Edited by DotBum

Renton, you said you wouldn't boo him now.  Honestly, given your strength of feeling on the matter, I think that if you don't boo him, or have some sort of release mechanism, you might have a stroke at the match.

167941[/snapback]

Don't believe everything you see on a message board - especially stuff posted by me. :lol: I don't feel that strongly really. What I would say is that I'd be disappointed if this season I see him play in many games. First and foremost because I think he's shit, but secondly because I think he's a twat. I reckon Roeder will agree with me on point one at least so we won't see much of him, but if we do, then that's life. I never really adjusted to Bowyer's presence of the club, and never liked him as a player or person. I'm relieved he's gone and just wish Butt had followed him out the door.

Renton, you said you wouldn't boo him now.  Honestly, given your strength of feeling on the matter, I think that if you don't boo him, or have some sort of release mechanism, you might have a stroke at the match.

167941[/snapback]

Don't believe everything you see on a message board - especially stuff posted by me. :lol: I don't feel that strongly really. What I would say is that I'd be disappointed if this season I see him play in many games. First and foremost because I think he's shit, but secondly because I think he's a twat. I reckon Roeder will agree with me on point one at least so we won't see much of him, but if we do, then that's life. I never really adjusted to Bowyer's presence of the club, and never liked him as a player or person. I'm relieved he's gone and just wish Butt had followed him out the door.

167991[/snapback]

seething, tbh...

167941[/snapback]

167991[/snapback]

I'd rather Bowyer was here than Butt.

167837[/snapback]

167846[/snapback]

167850[/snapback]

FACTAMUNDO...

167874[/snapback]

167878[/snapback]

Shall we grab the context back there Renton? ;)

No player at this club is ever likely to do that and if they did, I doubt they'd ever play again for us so the comment is without substance.

Why continue to persecute one of our players which happened ages ago? Life's too short man!

Sorry like buy anyone Booing one of our players on the pitch might as well sit with the opposing fans. They will sing various things in an attempt to jibe or rile one of the opposing players. By booing one of your own its doing just the same.

I really dont see the point of trying to get one of our own players on the pitch to have a bad game? I really cant get that to sink in.

I dont have to like Butt to want the team to win. I can sing and shout to support the team. But as they say the games so much about morale, people who try to lower morale by booing etc our own, need to get a grip.

the fact it makes you look and sound like a twat it another thing :lol:

Edit: for some odd grammar correction (sounded right the first time..)

Edited by JawD

United manager Glenn Roeder has warned Nicky Butt's critics that they will never drive him out of St James's Park after backing the troubled midfielder to win over the Newcastle supporters.

The former England international endured a fraught return to action in the North-East at the weekend when, during his first appearance on Tyneside in 15 months, he was barracked by a significant section of United fans.

It seems that a player who spent last term on loan at Birmingham has yet to live down his disastrous debut campaign for the club, a season that culminated in his insensitive response to a humiliating FA Cup semi-final defeat at the Millennium Stadium.

But while some of those who were at St James's Park for Saturday's pre-season meeting with PSV Eindhoven demonstrated their discontent with the 31-year-old, Roeder is unconcerned by the prospect of a Gallowgate backlash.

"I would say our supporters are a forgiving crowd," said a manager who, with Amdy Faye bound for Charlton, has told Butt that he will be given the chance to repair his shattered reputation in a black and white shirt this season.

"There were a few boos when he first came on but Nicky got in some good tackles and the crowd even enjoyed the fouls he gave away because they could see his commitment. Nicky doesn't know any other way to play and he will be strong enough to come through this - a small section of the crowd booing him."

Arguably a questionable signing from Manchester United two years ago, Butt did little to distinguish himself during his maiden campaign in the North-East. And his refusal to acknowledge the Newcastle supporters as he fled the pitch in the aftermath of a 4-1 humbling at the hands of his former club in Cardiff saw his popularity plunge to a new low.

Had Birmingham not been relegated from the Premiership last season, the former Old Trafford favourite would never have returned to Tyneside. That the terms of a permanent transfer were overridden by City's demise have left Roeder with a considerable conundrum.

The deterioration of the player's reputation, coupled with his lucrative contract at St James's Park, means United's hopes of removing him from the wage bill have always been limited. Butt is tied to the club for another two years, and his manager must find some use for him.

He has yet to start a first-team game this summer and has captain Scott Parker, Emre and Charles N'Zogbia blocking his path.

But Roeder has insisted he will give Butt every chance to force his way into his Premiership plans after insisting that he is a great admirer of his talents.

"Nicky knows that he will have every chance of picking up his career here," added the Newcastle boss.

"I have told all the players that if they play well enough, they will get the shirt. Once they have got their hands on it, it's up to them to keep it.

"Nicky has played for one of the biggest clubs in the world in Manchester United and he has a drawer full of medals and caps for England. There is no doubt that he is a strong character."

With Lee Bowyer having departed for West Ham, and Faye set to follow as soon as Charlton can thrash out a deal with the Magpies, Butt will provide cover for Parker and Emre.

Yet whether Freddie Shepherd will be prepared to invest so much in a back-up player remains to be seen.

And the unfavourable reaction of the supporters to the midfielder could prompt a fresh attempt to find him alternative employment.

RENTON IS SEETHING!

And his refusal to acknowledge the Newcastle supporters as he fled the pitch in the aftermath of a 4-1 humbling at the hands of his former club in Cardiff saw his popularity plunge to a new low.

Are Newcastle fans really that precious? :lol: "Fled" the pitch btw. Jesus wept, Oliver.