Newcastle identity

thenorthumbrian

Had a quick look on N-O. It's Alan fucking Oliver. ;) ;)

In the last 10 posts:

Can anyone reassure me about what qualities Glen Roeder brings to Newcastle as manager?

This is a man who managed three small southern teams and was a total failure at all of them, that’s a fact.

There is nothing in his career as a coach or manager which shows he has what it takes at any level of management never mind the top.

Just doing ok as a caretaker manager for a few games proves nothing.

I am a season ticket holder and have been for years and so I will get behind the team like I always do.

But I don’t hold any great hopes for the season , I hope I am proved wrong.

Is there any other premiership club who would have gone for Roeder as manager ? And I am not talking of the top 4 or 5 but any team at all?

The England players must be loving all this over the top nonsense about Ronaldo.

It takes away from the utter shite england were throughout the tournament.

The players kept telling anyone would listen that they were the greatest team in history.

Well the world cup proved that the majority of england players are over hyped, over rated, over paid bunch of mediocrity’s.

They are not capable of competing with the best in the world.

I am not that fussed about england (AKA London United ) so wasn’t that bothered but I hope the divvies who were bubbling in the street after the Portugal games learnt a lesson.

3 topics on here:

Newcastle identity: Geordies ?

The Lindisfarne Gospels: Bring them home

Remember Black & White Day

Personal website: NE Pride

The Northumbrian, I salute you! :)

Told you ;) Apparently I'm happy to be subservient to the London-based overlords (or something) because I thought the British Library was a good place to keep the Lindisfarne Gospels. I think that my not really giving a shit pissed him off more though.

While since I drank down the Quay like.  Its the new big market.  While the big market *shudder* is more where the dregs of society hang out.  In fact, no, its where what the dregs of society call the dregs of society hang out.  Oh that and 14 year olds etc.

I think the decent place (depending on what kind of night you are after), is now around the central.  Revolution, Acora (old Empress), 55', etc.

Mind, owld fogy that Im getting, I also like a drink in the Telegraph or up the top end.  Aye... used to be the Farmers or  the Doll (RIP).  Mind, everything was black and white then like...

168968[/snapback]

The Doll! Brought a tear to my eye reading that. Used to be a good spot to park the car on match days too.

Aye The Broken Doll. Some heavy nights in there like. A cracking range of Theakstons with a great atmosphere and an easy crowd. Some good live bands there as well. Used to stagger from there to the halal takeaway or the chilli pepper before getting a taxi (or walking) home.

Aye The Broken Doll.  Some heavy nights in there like.  A cracking range of Theakstons with a great atmosphere and an easy crowd.  Some good live bands there as well.  Used to stagger from there to the halal takeaway or the chilli pepper before getting a taxi (or walking) home.

169164[/snapback]

I used to go there to score weed in the old days. A bit of a dive like.

Aye The Broken Doll.  Some heavy nights in there like.  A cracking range of Theakstons with a great atmosphere and an easy crowd.  Some good live bands there as well.  Used to stagger from there to the halal takeaway or the chilli pepper before getting a taxi (or walking) home.

169164[/snapback]

169176[/snapback]

It was class man!

169164[/snapback]

169176[/snapback]

It was class man!

169189[/snapback]

Was it or is that nostalgia playing tricks on you?

169164[/snapback]

169176[/snapback]

It was class man!

169189[/snapback]

169197[/snapback]

I used to like the place, although it was a dive. I was canny young when it was pulled down. Used to go and see bands there.

169164[/snapback]

169176[/snapback]

It was class man!

169189[/snapback]

169197[/snapback]

I used to like the place, although it was a dive. I was canny young when it was pulled down. Used to go and see bands there.

169199[/snapback]

aahh..memories.. ;) many a time I ended up on stage in there when a good band were playing , shaking something or other... ;) the days of my yoof !!

I recently had nights out in both Jesmond and the Newcastle quayside and it was noticeable that there seemed to be virtually no Geordie accents to be heard in any of the bars we went to.

In fact hearing people talk it felt like we could have been in the Home Counties and not Tyneside.

I can’t help but think that the influx of southerners has resulted in Newcastle losing its Geordie identity.

The quayside has been colonised by wealthy people from down south, as they are practically the only people who can afford the property prices.

Many local people have been marginalised in their own city.

It seems to me that many of the southern incomers have an almost contemptuous attitude to local people.

I have no complaints about people coming to live in Newcastle from other parts of Britain and the rest of the world but its seems a great shame that while Newcastle was once a city known for having a strong identity it could now almost be seen as Essex on Tyne.

168730[/snapback]

HERE MAN JACKIE, GAN DOON THE RURSE N CROON AFTA THE MATCH AN' YUL HERE THE GEORDIE ROAR, MAN!!! WHEY AYE, CANNY BAG O' TUDOR, CLIMB A MOONTAIN N'ALL THAT LIKE!!!!!111!

WHEY YU BUGGER MAN... THUV EVEN GOT GAZZA'S SHELLSOOT FROM THE DUET HE DID WITH LINDISFARM FROM TOP OF THE POPS IN A BRASS FRAME!!111!!!!

EDIT: had a few spelling errors...

Edited by Fat Boy

The original text of the top post was printed in the letter section of the Chronicle tonight.

169503[/snapback]

;)

Laughing at the fact that this knobsack has sent this (or anything for that matter) into the Chronicle letters page AND the fact that Matt reads the Chronicle letters page. ;)

Having said that, the northumbrian probably only reads the Journal and the Chronicle. "What need do Geordie people have to hear of events taking place outside of the region? If I want to know what's happening in Lebanon and I want some southern based shandy drinker to tell me about it in his posh accent, I'll ficking well move there and ask him."

The original text of the top post was printed in the letter section of the Chronicle tonight.

169503[/snapback]

;)

Laughing at the fact that this knobsack has sent this (or anything for that matter) into the Chronicle letters page AND the fact that Matt reads the Chronicle letters page. :)

Having said that, the northumbrian probably only reads the Journal and the Chronicle. "What need do Geordie people have to hear of events taking place outside of the region? If I want to know what's happening in Lebanon and I want some southern based shandy drinker to tell me about it in his posh accent, I'll ficking well move there and ask him."

169727[/snapback]

;)

Chronicle letters are class. I particularly love the vent your spleen section on the right-hand side - created especially so people can phone in and leave their thoughts on an answering machine because they are illiterate.

The Vent Your Spleen section in the Ronnie seems to be a daily slagging match between young people and old people. Someone rang in ages ago to whinge about old people queuing in post offices at dinnertime and since then it's been a long campaign of 'I hate old people' and 'I'm elderly and hate young people'. ;)