Tuesday's gossip column

Scottish Mag

I think he's implying we're going to get sued by someone for implying that Martins is lying about his age. Nice one Anal, drop us in the shite.

177856[/snapback]

The club hasn't said a word about. They can sue Oliver all they want though.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Patrokles

See, this is why that story was so damaging, because other people have picked up on it now and if it gets back to the player (as it will), he's not going to be entirely impressed that a potential new club has called him a liar. (even though the club said nothing)

See, this is why that story was so damaging, because other people have picked up on it now and if it gets back to the player (as it will), he's not going to be entirely impressed that a potential new club has called him a liar. (even though the club said nothing)

177908[/snapback]

Easily solved by talking to the player. Of course that would mean making an official approach for him, which I believe we have pencilled in for the 31st of August.

Guest Patrokles

177908[/snapback]

Easily solved by talking to the player. Of course that would mean making an official approach for him, which I believe we have pencilled in for the 31st of August.

177911[/snapback]

No one knows what's going on behind the scenes. As I've said, if the window closes and we haven't got anyone, I'll be as crestfallen as anyone. But if we have to play the Wigan game with Shola and Luque rather than just buying a player for the sake of it, then so be it.

177908[/snapback]

177911[/snapback]

No one knows what's going on behind the scenes. As I've said, if the window closes and we haven't got anyone, I'll be as crestfallen as anyone. But if we have to play the Wigan game with Shola and Luque rather than just buying a player for the sake of it, then so be it.

177915[/snapback]

If we'd made an official approach and had a bid accepted, we'd all know about it. Things are quiet because not much is happening. Why that is, I don't know, but I don't reckon we've had a bid accepted for any strikers. Inter aren't going to keep quiet and allow us to do a deal on the sly, as it's not in their interests.

177908[/snapback]

177911[/snapback]

177915[/snapback]

If we'd made an official approach and had a bid accepted, we'd all know about it. Things are quiet because not much is happening. Why that is, I don't know, but I don't reckon we've had a bid accepted for any strikers. Inter aren't going to keep quiet and allow us to do a deal on the sly, as it's not in their interests.

177920[/snapback]

If it was Souness in charge you wouldn't be saying this :D

But he is right:

No one knows what's going on behind the scenes

177908[/snapback]

177911[/snapback]

177915[/snapback]

177920[/snapback]

If it was Souness in charge you wouldn't be saying this :D

But he is right:

No one knows what's going on behind the scenes

177934[/snapback]

We haven't had a bid accepted. FACT!

Guest Patrokles

People act as though Wigan will turn us over if we don't sign anyone by then. I don't think we will have anyone in by then, but I also don't think that Wigan are Chelsea, or Liverpool.

People act as though Wigan will turn us over if we don't sign anyone by then. I don't think we will have anyone in by then, but I also don't think that Wigan are Chelsea, or Liverpool.

177978[/snapback]

No one is acting like that at all. But it makes more sense to start the season with your full squad, and a decent compliment of strikers. It's perfectly possible that Wigan could beat us, and it's also true that we'd have a better chance of beating them with top class strikers to put away the chances.

We could easily drop points though if we're struggling to score. We could draw early games that we could have won with someone to put the chances away, those dropped points could be the difference between Europe and nowt.

I do think Shola's gonna score a few this season, but I nearly shat my colon when he went down clutching his knee against Ventspils. If that had been a serious injury, Kuyt would have all of a sudden cost us £15m and Inter Milan would have made us say "Obafemi Martins is only 18 years old" ten times before handing over our £20m for him.

177978[/snapback]

No one is acting like that at all. But it makes more sense to start the season with your full squad, and a decent compliment of strikers. It's perfectly possible that Wigan could beat us, and it's also true that we'd have a better chance of beating them with top class strikers to put away the chances.

177983[/snapback]

Precisely....

This time last year we were fannying on like this and we were all convinced that we wouldn't be getting any strikers in before the window shut (be honest, not many thought we'd actually get Owen).

When the window closed on 31st August, we'd signed two players on the last day and it was generally agreed it was:

a ) too close for comfort

b ) it would have been satisfying to have had them for the start of the season.

Not to worry we though, we can learn from that mistake.

12 months on........ :D

Guest Patrokles

But the fact is, we probably COULD have signed A striker by now, but I'd rather we signed someone who was going to be a real quality player for us, rather than just someone who plays up front. How many here would have been happy with Hesky for six and a half million? 70% of people didn't even want Defoe.

But the fact is, we probably COULD have signed A striker by now, but I'd rather we signed someone who was going to be a real quality player for us, rather than just someone who plays up front. How many here would have been happy with Hesky for six and a half million? 70% of people didn't even want Defoe.

178035[/snapback]

What's with the belief that no quality strikers are available until the last two weeks of the window like? You aren't obliged to sign shit for the first 2.5 months you know. Wigan did, but they didn't have to. Kuyt for instance has been available to sign since the 1st of June......

Guest Patrokles

178035[/snapback]

What's with the belief that no quality strikers are available until the last two weeks of the window like? You aren't obliged to sign shit for the first 2.5 months you know. Wigan did, but they didn't have to. Kuyt for instance has been available to sign since the 1st of June......

178039[/snapback]

Perhaps we had other targets and were knocked back every single time. I don't think there's much perhaps about it, to be fair. Now we seem to have a straight chouce between Kuyt and Martins, and given the magnitude of the decision and its implications, Roeder wants to make sure he doesn't blow £10 million on a dud.

p.s. if Heskey scores a hat-trick against us then I want to be absolved of all culpability.

Edited by Patrokles

Reports in the North East today claim that Newcastle United have turned their attentions to a new striker.

It is claimed that manager Glenn Roeder is now interested in Wigan Athletic striker Henri Camara although Newcastle appear to have indirectly denied this via the local media.

However, if Camara is a target, it could mean that they're not so confident that they'll land Liverpool target Dirk Kuyt from Feyenoord.

Roeder will fly to Ireland to see Kuyt in action for Holland against the Republic on Wednesday.

from koptalk.

Guest Patrokles

Reports in the North East today claim that Newcastle United have turned their attentions to a new striker.

It is claimed that manager Glenn Roeder is now interested in Wigan Athletic striker Henri Camara although Newcastle appear to have indirectly denied this via the local media.

However, if Camara is a target, it could mean that they're not so confident that they'll land Liverpool target Dirk Kuyt from Feyenoord.

Roeder will fly to Ireland to see Kuyt in action for Holland against the Republic on Wednesday.

from koptalk.

178089[/snapback]

Article of the year.