Watching Dowloaded Programmes

David Kelly

I just finished downloading the latest Soprano's episode that I missed and it has come through as a WMF but when I try to play it I get the following message;

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

Does anyone know what I need to be able to watch this? This is the first time that I have downloaded anything other than mp3's.

I stay away from codec packs; they fucked my PC last time.

Get this: http://www.headbands.com/gspot/gspot221.rar and extract into a folder somewhere.

Run gspot.exe, load the file and it will tell you which particular codecs you need. They are all free, just google them.

EDIT - this only works for .avi files... You should still get it though.

Edited by nufc4ever

wmf is MS's new streaming format that replaces asf. Uses MPEG4. I'm surprised it didnt automatically dl'd the correct codec. Then again Im not, it is media player after all. Ditch it and use VLC instead

What's VLC?

I don't ususally use Media Player at all as my music is all on iTunes.

Like I say, these codec packs caused problems for me, and I didn't like the fact I couldn't just upgrade one of them when it became available.

I agree that they're a good solution for beginners though.

Like I say, these codec packs caused problems for me, and I didn't like the fact I couldn't just upgrade one of them when it became available.

Well they're fantastic for me, as i do alot of stuff involving codecs and ripping various movies.

Im with you on that one. Codec packs tend to cause all sorts of problems in the end

• 3 years later...

I've always had trouble playing any HD files I import from my camcorder. Sony say I should remove all free codecs.

I assume this is caused by a codec pack I installed ages ago and I don't need to delete all of them.

Is it safe to go System>Hardware>Device Manager>Sound, Video and Game Controllers>Video Codecs>Properties

and remove them all so I can stard from scratch with xvid. Or do I need to take more care than that to avoid fucking up my system?

I've always had trouble playing any HD files I import from my camcorder. Sony say I should remove all free codecs.

I assume this is caused by a codec pack I installed ages ago and I don't need to delete all of them.

Is it safe to go System>Hardware>Device Manager>Sound, Video and Game Controllers>Video Codecs>Properties

and remove them all so I can stard from scratch with xvid. Or do I need to take more care than that to avoid fucking up my system?

I've had a few Codec conflicts in the past and have always just used the uninstall option from add/remove programs. I've never went down the Device Manager route.

On the last couple of machines I've set up I've used a Codec pack called Shark which seems to work fine though I do use VLC as well - I use a mixture of playback apps.