HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray

Kid Dynamite

what you going for?

Im going for the HD-DVD simply because i already have my 360 running through an HD Scart on my folks TV and the DVD add on looks like being released soon and its only £90 in japan

http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/20-09-2006-3652.html

Sonys new blu ray player is being released too and that costs $999 :good:

http://www.bestbuy.com/olspage.jsp?id=pcmc...p;type=category

tough choice like!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like i pointed out before, sony last 2 'innovations' betamax and mini disc bombed terribly. Ive a feeling that the late arrival and daft price of the ps3 (£450 for the HD version) will see a lot of people leaning towards HD-DVD.

The thousands of middle aged men who paid £2k for hd tvs from currys not actually knowing what they do will probably latch onto the fact that hd-dvds go with hd tvs and that you have to buy a blu ray tv to watch blu ray dvds. never underestimate the stupidity of the british middle classes!

Guest Patrokles

Like i pointed out before, sony last 2 'innovations' betamax and mini disc bombed terribly. Ive a feeling that the late arrival and daft price of the ps3 (£450 for the HD version) will see a lot of people leaning towards HD-DVD.

The thousands of middle aged men who paid £2k for hd tvs from currys not actually knowing what they do will probably latch onto the fact that hd-dvds go with hd tvs and that you have to buy a blu ray tv to watch blu ray dvds. never underestimate the stupidity of the british middle classes!

Or, to be fair, the majority of the rest of the country.

Where the hell is that from? :good: Considering there is no such thing as a blu-ray TV, I doubt that people will invent one in their own mind tbh.

Oh, and the 'cheaper' PS3 will have HD output, Sony confirmed it recently. The doubts still remain as to whether we will get that version at all though.

Edited by nufc4ever

I have understood precisely 17% of everything that has been written on this page. Part of that was "Betamax"

Two different formats of next-generation DVDs, basically, with much greater capacity for higher detail picture quality. There is going to be a format war. It's nothing to worry about tbh.

I have understood precisely 17% of everything that has been written on this page. Part of that was "Betamax"

Two different formats of next-generation DVDs, basically, with much greater capacity for higher detail picture quality. There is going to be a format war. It's nothing to worry about tbh.

Ah, merci :good:

Guest Toplass-101

aye its not just me and Ragi who post gobildygook

How can you say "theres going to be a war" and expect us not to worry? OMG!!! somebody think of the children!

:good:

It's far too early to say...

HD is using AC1 as it's compression algorithm, Blu Ray has, up until now been using MPEG2 however they're changing it so that they're using AC1 as well.

AC1 has a better compression ratio and therefore they quality is not as reduced as that of MPEG2.

As for the cost, well at present the HD-DVD players are anything between £400 and £700, Blu Ray players are costing around £1000. However as with all technology, this will undoubtedly reduce rapidly over time.

With that in mind, and with no idea whatsoever how the Blu Ray will perform with AC1 compression or which way the consumer will sway, I'd keep your pennies in the piggy bank for the time being :good:

Surely anyone with any sense will wait until a) it becomes apparent which of the two formats will be most popular and b ) the prices come down.

The dweebs who have to be first to own these things either end up buying the wrong one or paying massively over the odds. I like having a decent widescreen telly, and when I go into Bainbridges or whatever and see the HD TVs, the picture is amazing, but I'm not THAT arsed that I would hand over thousands of pounds. It doesn't make the programmes you watch any better. :good:

Yep, there's no point at these prices. Just look how much DVD players cost these days.

Also, the SkyHD box has already dropped £100 to £199 I noticed the other day - if it dropped another £100 i'd be interested. Until then, it's just OTT for what you get.

Yep, there's no point at these prices. Just look how much DVD players cost these days.

Also, the SkyHD box has already dropped £100 to £199 I noticed the other day - if it dropped another £100 i'd be interested. Until then, it's just OTT for what you get.

Until you don't have to pay £10 a month for a handful of HD channels, they can nick off tbh.

Touché.

They had it on the Gadget Show last night and most of the programs aren't shown in HD anyway, even on the HD channels.

The sport would be the only thing worthwhile. Even so, you're really meant to have a 32"+ TV to get the best from it, mine is in my bedroom and it's 27".

I've got a 32" telly like, but it's not HD, and I'm already paying a tenner extra a month for the multiroom, so I'm not gonna pay another tenner for HD. Which reminds me - I need to ring Sky and threaten to leave again so that they give me my subscription for half price. :good:

Cruelly forgetting the shambles that is UMD :good: