NUFC v Levadia Tallinn

Gemmill

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Babayaro can play an'all. Or is he injured? Hopefully this lot are too crap to capitalise on our turdy defence.

Declared himself unfit apparently. He's a good sport.

Basically that clown turns up when he feels like it, and when he does decide to play he makes up for it by being generally useless and getting himself sent off. What a cock.

To be honest i'm not worried whatever defence we put out as they are all more than enough to win this game whatever people think about the players in question.

What will no doubt happen though is that with Bramble's confidence already near to rock bottom (at best!) to help him (and thus the team) through that, some fans will likely boo him when his name is read out and will get straight on his back the second he makes the slightest error. Because lets be honest that's what happens at St. James' these days.

To be honest i'm not worried whatever defence we put out as they are all more than enough to win this game whatever people think about the players in question.

What will no doubt happen though is that with Bramble's confidence already near to rock bottom (at best!) to help him (and thus the team) through that, some fans will likely boo him when his name is read out and will get straight on his back the second he makes the slightest error. Because lets be honest that's what happens at St. James' these days.

I said the same to someone at work earlier - you get a different crowd in on a European night, and I'm fully expecting Bramble's name to get booed and the crowd to get on his back.

I said the same to someone at work earlier - you get a different crowd in on a European night, and I'm fully expecting Bramble's name to get booed and the crowd to get on his back.

I'd expect it on a weekend match as well though! When you think back to the days of Keegan, booing was a very rare thing in any form, indeed Keegan had a go at the fans after one game for doing it, and rightly so. Now i obviously accept there was alot less cause for dissatisfaction under Keegan, but over the years booing, moaning, whinging etc. has just exploded. It happens at half time, at full time, during matches, it happens to the team, to individual players and just adds to any problems the team or individual players may be suffereing.

Back in the day you'd be far more likely for the fans to concentrate more on giving the opposition stick or the officials and back their own team. I used to love it when the whole ground got so wound up by the usual disgracefully piss poor and biassed reffing int his country that the atmosphere would just errupt in backing of the team and often lifted them accordingly.

Now as soon as its not goign our way its either silence, rumbles of discontent or outright booing, and shouting at our players, which does fuck all good at all.

We didn't get booed much under Keegan because we used to win most of the time. I remember the booing game that KK went off it, it was Bristol Rovers at home. They were rock bottom and we were stuffing everyone, and it finished 0-0. It was frustration, I know I was frustraited, but there was no need for pantomine booing like. Bramble needs a goal to stop the booing like, the booers tend to be the fickle bastids you see. Nicky Butt is a perfect example of that.

I was listening to Rodney Marsh (who is a tit) on the radio the other day, and he was on about booing in football. I know that to an extent he's just looking to get a reaction so people phone in, but he was saying that he can't believe this business with booing your own team at matches. He reckons when he played the fans got behind the team no matter what, and he never played in front of fans that booed the team.

He reckons that if he was playing football in the modern era he wouldn't be able to have the same relationship with the fans that he had in those days if that's how they behaved, as as soon as they started booing he would just think "Right, well bollocks to you lot." and would actually try LESS hard to succeed.

Now, for the most part I think he's completely missing the point that the relationship between players and fans has completely changed anyway because of the money players get paid these days, and the amount it costs to support a football team these days, but I could almost see the point he was trying to make. If you genuinely are trying hard and it's just not working for you and you go in 1-0 down at half-time with your fans booing you off, there'll always be those players desperate to get back out for the second half to prove you wrong, but there'll also be those who think "Fuck you" and don't put as much effort in as a result. I think, anyway.

I agree, Marsh is a tit, but in part his point is valid. A player with no confidence will always get worse when their own fans barrack them instead of backing them and bloody minded players will hardly respond to stick by giving everything for people who've just ripped into them. And if one player is getting abuse it doesn't inspire team mates (and possibly good friends) to give you more when you treat their mate like shit.

The problem is there seems at times to be more spectators than supporters.

A supporter will support his team and players, hence the word support in the title.

A spectator pays their money and expects a certain level of entertainment/effort/performance etc. in return for that money and when they don't get it, they make their feelings known. That's fair enough you're paying a shitload of money for what these days is mostly very poor, but you aren't a supporter when you do this, you're a paying spectator.

Guest Patrokles

I know that personally, I started off a game terribly once, and someone immediately got on my back about it- after a few cries of 'FUCK SAKE!' or 'COME ON, BEN, SORT IT OUT!,' I just completely lost confidence and initially overcompensated by trying too hard, which obviously made the situation worse, and then just thought 'fuck it, I don't care any more.' Eventually I just asked to come off. I felt that I was under constant scrutiny and couldn't do anything right. And that was just with one or two people. With 30-odd thousand booing me when I misplaced a pass, or muttering darkly when the ball came within a few feet of me, god knows how difficult it would have been.

By contrast, when I was a) relaxed, and :D felt well-supported, I played my best stuff.

I know that personally, I started off a game terribly once, and someone immediately got on my back about it- after a few cries of 'FUCK SAKE!' or 'COME ON, BEN, SORT IT OUT!,' I just completely lost confidence and initially overcompensated by trying too hard, which obviously made the situation worse, and then just thought 'fuck it, I don't care any more.' Eventually I just asked to come off. I felt that I was under constant scrutiny and couldn't do anything right. And that was just with one or two people. With 30-odd thousand booing me when I misplaced a pass, or muttering darkly when the ball came within a few feet of me, god knows how difficult it would have been.

By contrast, when I was a) relaxed, and :D felt well-supported, I played my best stuff.

Aye, I used to hate my mam coming to watch an aal.