Being made redundant

Happy Face

Got told there'd be redundancies at work just before last weekend wasn't really too worried, just at the back of my mind had a bit of a nag. They said we'd know for sure on Tuesday gone. On Wednesday a few of us in particular were told we were at risk and we'd hear by the end of the week. On Friday we were told we'd get an email on Monday to organise a meeting for later on.

Can the bastards go about enforced redundancies in such a dragged out, cack-handed manner that leaves half the work-force stressed to fuck? There were no volutary redundancies offered either, is that allowed.

:angry:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got told there'd be redundancies at work just before last weekend wasn't really too worried, just at the back of my mind had a bit of a nag. They said we'd know for sure on Tuesday gone. On Wednesday a few of us in particular were told we were at risk and we'd hear by the end of the week. On Friday we were told we'd get an email on Monday to organise a meeting for later on.

Can the bastards go about enforced redundancies in such a dragged out, cack-handed manner that leaves half the work-force stressed to fuck? There were no volutary redundancies offered either, is that allowed.

They're required too by law I think. They're supposed to keep everybody constantly up-to-date with what's going on.

A couple of people who I used to work with are in the same boat. Its disgraceful, theres still a lot of contractors about and they took on a load of lets just say less skilled CSA staff (on better packages than most of the standard staff) not so long back. Nevermind the multitude of people on that account who just do fuck all. I remember last time this went round when I was still there after the dust had setteld I think they managed to get rid of 1 person. It might not be worth much but join the union, every little bit could help. Im sure theyre signed up to an agreement about staff redundancies which says it shoudl be contractors first before any permies

Edited by luckypierre

:lol:

A couple of people who I used to work with are in the same boat. Its disgraceful, theres still a lot of contractors about and they took on a load of lets just say less skilled CSA staff (on better packages than most of the standard staff) not so long back. Nevermind the multitude of people on that account who just do fuck all. I remember last time this went round when I was still there after the dust had setteld I think they managed to get rid of 1 person. It might not be worth much but join the union, every little bit could help. Im sure theyre signed up to an agreement about staff redundancies which says it shoudl be contractors first before any permies

What galls the most is ALS are advertising for 20 vacancies. They're desparatate.

What galls the most is ALS are advertising for 20 vacancies. They're desparatate.

One of the people I know is still in ALS. I've heard the batch team have been earmarked to be outsourced to India and ALS is full of contractors and people who do fuck all, some are both.

Have they mentioned being redeployed? Get in touch with HR. The more I hear about it the less the whole thing makes sense. Doesnt surpise though with that place, its always been a farce

Edited by luckypierre

I sympathise - I only found out this week my job was secure - this time the Department of Health seemed to make the process as stressful as possible, delaying their decision on whether we would get our contract (which is essential) several times, making everybody edgy in the process. After delays of a month I pretty much assumed we had lost to a competitor, but thankfully not as it turned out.

Not a lot you can do other than prepare for the worst and start looking at other jobs. Good luck, whatever happens.

happy face

you work for the same US company as me dont you ?

we're hearing the same, as usual my org hasnt even informed us, i'd like to think that means dont worry, but i just dont trust the bastards

happy face

you work for the same US company as me dont you ?

we're hearing the same, as usual my org hasnt even informed us, i'd like to think that means dont worry, but i just dont trust the bastards

I think it's only applications delivery.

as I said on NOL make sure you have "backup copies" of your critical files, address lists etc off site at all times but especially when redendancy is in the air

as I said on NOL make sure you have "backup copies" of your critical files, address lists etc off site at all times but especially when redendancy is in the air

Eh?

Address book for example, to contact new employers

owt you might need when you're on the dole

those usefull lists etc that you've put together to help you at work

your bookmarks ...................

If they give you the bums rush there is no opportunity to get that stuff

aye, they are supposed to keep you updated no matter what dodgy company they are!

I have been made Redundant in the past (Voluntary Redundancy)

however, they do NOT need to give you a choice and can just sack you off THE BASTARDS..BUT

they need to give you sufficient notice and like what the other person said thay HAVE to keep you

posted as to whats happening, when they are planning to get rid of people,

have they delayed the Redundancy date etc etc...

The advantage of redundancy is that you usually get a nice pay out, so enjoy it

and try get another job ASAP...My redundancy pay helped me put a deposit on MY HOUSE

Address book for example, to contact new employers

owt you might need when you're on the dole

those usefull lists etc that you've put together to help you at work

your bookmarks ...................

If they give you the bums rush there is no opportunity to get that stuff

Agreed. If you're in sales, that sales list could be gold for future employment, and code you've writen can often come in handy again as a techie.

I'd heed your advice Rob, if I'd won friends or influenced people. Unfortunately, the bulk of my data is emails from the receptionist to say the sanwich van is outside.

:lol::D Gold!