Ginola: 8th best premiership foreigner

Jimbo

I don't think he figured. It did help Ginola's cause that he went onto play for a London club. But it also helped his cause that he went on to play WELL for that London club, winning the PFA Player of the Year award in the process. He was just a better player than Robert.

Pfff. If Robert scored and created more than Ginola (both similar, attacking players) in a worse team, how is he a worse player?

Btw, I mean for us, what either did at other clubs is irrelevant, as that introduces even more confounding variables.

Ginola would run games for 90 minutes at his best and he would have two players marking him a lot of the time. There's more to football than pure stats.

:lol:

Ginola had it all and his humiliation of Neil Cox is one of SJPs greatest moments but he never EVER ran for more than 10 minutes never mind 90.

Brilliant footballer and its amusing to see people attempt to compare Robert with Ginola and Bellamy with Beardsley.

Bellamy and Robert were good players. The other two were on an altogether different level.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That performance against Neil Cox was out of this world. I used to sit in line with the touchline in the Milburn and the time when he beat Cox about three times in the space of 5 yards was absolutely unbelievable. Probably the best individual performance I've ever seen.

That performance against Neil Cox was out of this world. I used to sit in line with the touchline in the Milburn and the time when he beat Cox about three times in the space of 5 yards was absolutely unbelievable. Probably the best individual performance I've ever seen.

Better than Robert against Tottenham by any chance? <_<

Its hard to describe how good Ginola was that night.

If you saw Chrissy Waddle against Man City in 1983/84 then that was close (for a winger).

Robert against Tottenham is a very poor comparison to either of those two. Those performances were light years ahead of anything Robert managed (or was capable of managing). Seriously.

Ginola had to be seen live to be believed that night. You could smell Neil Cox shitting himself anytime Ginola got near him. Unbelievable. The 5 yards that Alex mentions was something I doubt anyone who saw it will forget.

It was the ultimate take the piss episode on a football field. Maybe Gazza against Steve Williams at Highbury was close but still nowhere near.

If you saw Chrissy Waddle against Man City in 1983/84 then that was close (for a winger).

Robert against Tottenham is a very poor comparison to either of those two. Those performances were light years ahead of anything Robert managed (or was capable of managing). Seriously.

Ginola had to be seen live to be believed that night. You could smell Neil Cox shitting himself anytime Ginola got near him. Unbelievable. The 5 yards that Alex mentions was something I doubt anyone who saw it will forget.

It was the ultimate take the piss episode on a football field. Maybe Gazza against Steve Williams at Highbury was close but still nowhere near.

And yet for such an amazing player he didn't score or achieve much really, odd that. Comparisons with Robert are one thing, but you are making him sound like an all time great which he wasn't.

This could go on forever!

Ginola was on a different planet in terms of technique, flair and enetrtainment to watch him play.

Robert delivered far more end product in terms of goals and direct assists which wins matches and he did it in a less attacking team than Keegan's side.

So Ginola wins hands down for the player you'd want to watch and with the most ability, but Robert gets you more goals and assists and more points over a season.

Take your pick which you prefer really!

Better than Robert against Tottenham by any chance? :)

And yet for such an amazing player he didn't score or achieve much really, odd that. Comparisons with Robert are one thing, but you are making him sound like an all time great which he wasn't.

<_< Making him sound like a talented player Renton. I dont think I have used the word great at all in terms of his contribution to Newcastle United.

Of course it depends what achievement is really doesnt it?

He achieved two 2nd places in the Premiership with us. He played in a very successful team in our terms.

I guess we could argue that Alan Shearer didnt achieve much either really, did he? Is that odd too?

Everyones favourite Welsh hunchback has won precisely nowt in his footballing career. What does that prove?

Ginola wasnt a great for us but he was undoubtedly one of the most talented players ever to play in Black and White. Probably in the top 5 I have seen. Gazza, Waddle, PB, Shearer and him possessed more talent than any of the others I have seen.

He was certainly the catalyst in 1996 in that teams were shit scared of him and Les (and PB). Erratic certainly but this nonsense of more end product from LR is to ignore footballs fundamentals. Newcastle did it everytime we played against him and benefited from it when he was here - teams had to double up on him.

He could do it all and he often did. Teams were shit scared of him. Other days he was a lazy twat but he still had the ability to make something happen.

I liked Laurent Robert but he really wasnt ever more than a good footballer. Its like trying to compare someone like Craig Bellamy with Peter Beardsley. They really are that far apart in terms of quality.

Like i say, unless you saw those first 4 or 5 months of Ginola then you really wouldnt understand why people are giggling at the mere thought of presenting a comparison with Laurent Robert.

Better than Robert against Tottenham by any chance? :)

<_< Making him sound like a talented player Renton. I dont think I have used the word great at all in terms of his contribution to Newcastle United.

Of course it depends what achievement is really doesnt it?

He achieved two 2nd places in the Premiership with us. He played in a very successful team in our terms.

I guess we could argue that Alan Shearer didnt achieve much either really, did he? Is that odd too?

Everyones favourite Welsh hunchback has won precisely nowt in his footballing career. What does that prove?

Ginola wasnt a great for us but he was undoubtedly one of the most talented players ever to play in Black and White. Probably in the top 5 I have seen. Gazza, Waddle, PB, Shearer and him possessed more talent than any of the others I have seen.

He was certainly the catalyst in 1996 in that teams were shit scared of him and Les (and PB). Erratic certainly but this nonsense of more end product from LR is to ignore footballs fundamentals. Newcastle did it everytime we played against him and benefited from it when he was here - teams had to double up on him.

He could do it all and he often did. Teams were shit scared of him. Other days he was a lazy twat but he still had the ability to make something happen.

I liked Laurent Robert but he really wasnt ever more than a good footballer. Its like trying to compare someone like Craig Bellamy with Peter Beardsley. They really are that far apart in terms of quality.

Like i say, unless you saw those first 4 or 5 months of Ginola then you really wouldnt understand why people are giggling at the mere thought of presenting a comparison with Laurent Robert.

Well I hear what you're saying and can agree to an extent, but really I would echo what Papa Lazaru said in the post above. If the boot was on the other foot again, how well would we have done under Robson during his two good seasons (4th and 3rd) with a 96 Ginola in the team instead of Robert? I'm not sure and I guess we'll never know.

I don't agree though that it's like comparing Beardsley with Bellamy, as I think the gulf in class between those two is much greater (I agree with you that Bellamy is over-rated). I also wouldn't put Ginola in the same class as the great geordie triumvirate of the 80s you mentioned (well, maybe with Waddle) or with Shearer for that matter, who as you know could have gone to any club in the world (staying with us being the reason he didn't win as much as he should have).

ginola = french for fine dribbler with little end product (statistically)

robert = excellent crosser and free kick taker, created more goals in 02 ( ithink) than any other player and scored about 8-10 as well....

both lacked application and both went missing from the game for long periods of time.

now if only we had someone that could dribble and cross and be there for the full 90!

Edited by canofbeans

And yet you barely saw Ginola play so shut it! :)

:good:

So if you don't go to matches you're not allowed an opinion right?

You'll be wanting me to see a film before I have an opinion on it next. <_<

You'll be commenting on Mario games you've never played next :woosh:

didn't realise this place was a creche.

toys back in prams you two.

:lol: I hope you're taking the piss, 'cause I know I was and I'm fairly sure he was too.