Ginola: 8th best premiership foreigner

Jimbo

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't belive anyone would pick Robert over Ginola. I like Robert and forgave him a lot but Ginola had skill that Robert couldn't dream of tbh.

Robert could only beat a man if he was already in full flight when he received the ball, if he got it when he was stood still (which happens a lot with Robert) he was worse than useless. Ginola could beat anyone at any time.

I don't know who had the better stats but I would pay a lot more to watch Ginola than Robert.

I can't belive anyone would pick Robert over Ginola. I like Robert and forgave him a lot but Ginola had skill that Robert couldn't dream of tbh.

Robert could only beat a man if he was already in full flight when he received the ball, if he got it when he was stood still (which happens a lot with Robert) he was worse than useless. Ginola could beat anyone at any time.

I don't know who had the better stats but I would pay a lot more to watch Ginola than Robert.

They were very different players though. Ginola may have been better to watch, but the fact is Robert was more productive in terms of goals and assists. Robert also played in a worse team, and overall had a greater influence than Ginola imo; it would have been interesting to see him a Keegan team.

They were very different players though. Ginola may have been better to watch, but the fact is Robert was more productive in terms of goals and assists. Robert also played in a worse team, and overall had a greater influence than Ginola imo; it would have been interesting to see him a Keegan team.

Can anyone provide details of these stats? I'm not saying anyone is wrong but I would just like to know.

I notice the two main Robert fans in the thread were both only 11 when Ginola signed for us, but were of a much more reasonable age when Robert did. Not that I'm suggesting that that means anything about their opinion of Ginola.

:lol:

I was 18 when Ginola signed for us :lol:

Ginola was the better player no doubts imo. Ginola was actually far worse than Robert at tracking back (who was no worse than Nobby imo) but he beat peple for fun and was so good that often the only way to win the ball of him was to foul him. I'd remember countless times, Ginola geting the ball, beating 2-3 players and then puting a pin point cross over for Sir Les to bullet header in the back of the net or go solo and score a screamer.

Robert i liked alot too, very much a flare player and got alot of unwarranted stick (some people almost expected him to win us every match on his own).

Edited by TOPTOON

Robert divides the opinion of Toon fans like no one else which tells its own story. Most other club's fans wouldn't rate him anywhere near as high as Ginola. That tells its own story too. More importantly though, I rate Ginola as a better player.

Robert divides the opinion of Toon fans like no one else which tells its own story. Most other club's fans wouldn't rate him anywhere near as high as Ginola. That tells its own story too. More importantly though, I rate Ginola as a better player.

Mainly because Ginola played in the better side and media darlings Spurs. I don't think he'd have got anywhere near the hype had he played in the 2001-3 side.

"It's more difficult to compare the two because Ginola was playing for PSG when we were one of the best teams in Europe, whereas Robert was at PSG at a time when we were weaker and not a European force.

To compare them, we must also consider their team mates...

Now, my choice would just edge towards Ginola".

A lot of parallels between their times at PSG & Newcastle by the looks of that response.

"It's more difficult to compare the two because Ginola was playing for PSG when we were one of the best teams in Europe, whereas Robert was at PSG at a time when we were weaker and not a European force.

To compare them, we must also consider their team mates...

Now, my choice would just edge towards Ginola".

A lot of parallels between their times at PSG & Newcastle by the looks of that response.

Coincedence ? Robert = Shit team.

I think we'd have still challenged Man U in 1995-6 season with or without Ginola.

I don't think we'd have finished anywhere near 4th without Robert in 2002.

You could say the same about Beardsley and Bellamy but it doesn't make the latter the better player.

I think we'd have still challenged Man U in 1995-6 season with or without Ginola.

I don't think we'd have finished anywhere near 4th without Robert in 2002.

You could say the same about Beardsley and Bellamy but it doesn't make the latter the better player.

Beardsley better now than Bellamy though and showed it on Sunday night.

Excellent point. Although Beardsley scored and made just as many if not more than Bellamy still. Ginola doesn't rival Robert in that sense.

So can we have any stats to prove that?

Ginola = 1 goal every 10 games

Robert = 1 goal every 6 games

Assists are harder to find, but I think Robert wins that hands down too. (I'll keep looking though)

DK is absolutley GAGGING for a stat-attack!

I'd like to know too. From what I remember, Ginola actually didn't score that much compared to Robert who was usually our most prolific midfielder during his time here.

One thing I certainly agree that Ginola could do better than Robert was get past players, but other than that I'm not really convinced. I always thought Robert got a ridiculously hard time from a section of our fans and board members, and I'm wondering, is it the flair players that get the stick when things aren't going so well for the team? This is something that happened to Robert obviously and not Ginola. Also to switch things around, how well would Ginola have played in a Souness team?