Danny Baker

Happy Face

He can be an annoying tw@t, but when he presented 606 when it first started and Fantasy Football, also on Radio 5 he was really good.

606 these days is OK, but its been completely toned down. Alan Green gets upset if people go a bit OTT, but that used to be encouraged and there was some really funny phone calls.

I can't stand Alan Green. He just sticks up for his mates. "Listen. Listen. I know Peter Reid/Graeme Souness/Alan Curbishley/whichever-manager-is-struggling personally, and I can assure you that what you are saying is not the case." etc. Prick!

Having said that, he's not as bad as Spoony. Listening to 606 on the way home the other day after the Cech/Cudicini incidents, and a caller brought up the subject of Bert Trautman. Spoony responds dismissively with "Before my time, mate." Now I know he wasn't born then, but neither was I but I know about the incident because I'm a football fan, and not some prick DJ who's been given a job that's beyond him. A few seconds later he says to the bloke "For those of us not aware of the story, can you fill us in please?". So basically can he tell YOU the story Spoony, because I bet the majority of people listening know exactly what he's talking about you clueless know-nowt no-mark.

Honestly, unless it's about a Premiership game in the last few seasons involving teams in the top 10, he hasn't got a fucking clue what he's on about.

Sums Spoony up tbh. His lack of knowledge is an absolute joke given his job. Strikes me very much as a casual arm chair fan. Which is fine. Unless you're hosting a national football phone-in.

Sums Spoony up tbh. His lack of knowledge is an absolute joke given his job. Strikes me very much as a casual arm chair fan. Which is fine. Unless you're hosting a national football phone-in.

I think the fact that he's a Cockney who supports Liverpool says that he is an armchair fan.

The thing about Danny Baker when he did 606 was that often he'd do the show from a regional BBC studio if Millwall were away.

Fair enough the guy can be a twat but he was class on 606 and was miles better than the likes of Spoony.

Danny Baker was class on 606 like, but got the push because he wouldn't pander to the boring arm chair bastids you get ringing up on it nowadays. He also used to go spectacularly off topic which used to liven it up.

Spoony sums up football in the media over the last 10 years. No nowt glory seeking Liverpool fan, which is a must if you want to work for the BBC these days.

I think the fact that he's a Cockney who supports Liverpool says that he is an armchair fan.

The thing about Danny Baker when he did 606 was that often he'd do the show from a regional BBC studio if Millwall were away.

Fair enough the guy can be a twat but he was class on 606 and was miles better than the likes of Spoony.

Even David Mellor was miles better than Spoony.

Even David Mellor was miles better than Spoony.

:blink:

Harsh but fair.

• 1 year later...
Back doing 606 tonight.

Heard this advertised during the week.

Unbelievable given his diatribes against 606 and 5live in the past.

Filthy lucre.

Still, Thank christ he's back. Fucking Spoony :icon_lol:

Danny Kelly seems to have a regular stint on Talksport at the moment too, he's the best thing about that station by a country mile.

• 3 weeks later...
Is Lukas Podolski a Judas? Is it praiseworthy to rhyme Germany with infirmary? Would you like to own the 28th minute of every football match? These are just a few of the questions that have been asked during Radio 5 Live’s Euro 606, the new football show hosted by Danny Baker. Yes, that’s right, Danny Baker, the presenter dumped by the station in 1997 for taking his passion for the beautiful game a step too far on air, saying he would understand if fans wanted to hit an official.

Baker’s sacking did little to harm his own career, but it had terrible repercussions for the phenomenon known as the football phone-in. Baker was irreverent, sometimes rude and always opinionated. His departure spelt the end of feisty footie debate, leaving us with those interminable stretches of broadcasting that demand nothing of the contributors, presenters or listeners.

“So Pete, you were at White Hart Lane this afternoon?” “Hello Forky, how yer doin’ mate? I wasn’t at the game but I heard some of it.” “So Pete, was it a penalty d’ya think?” “I wasn’t there Forky, obviously, but it sounded dodgy. But I really wanted to talk about Berbatov. Do you reckon he’ll stay, Forky?” Plaintive Pete knows he can rely on Forky for sympathy. He would not get any from Baker, though. “We’re not going to say thanks for your call here,” Baker warned listeners on his first show back.

What on earth is 5 Live up to? Was it brave to reinstate Baker, or naive? The station itself certainly has no idea what kind of decision it was. Baker has been given a small series of one-hour programmes, so it is fair to conclude the Beeb has been tentative. Amusingly, Baker wastes many of his minutes bemoaning that he has only 60 of them. They speed by and, as they do, must surely punch a hole in the bloated stomach of the standard 606 show.

By bringing back Baker, the BBC has simply demonstrated to football fans how patronising, dull and humourless phone-ins on 5 Live have become. There may be no turning back. After all, 5 Live’s football phone-ins are the only stodgy component

in its otherwise excellent output. Perhaps sensing that the phone-ins are their rival’s blind spot, talkSPORT has gone on the offensive and hired Danny Kelly to host rival caller based football shows.

Kelly has much longer on air than Baker but follows the same inventive path. It is a simple formula. He asks listeners interesting questions and if you treat listeners as intelligent people, they will respond in an intelligent way. Ultimately, a phone-in lives or dies on the quality of its contributors. If you only ask them: “Were you at the match?” they will answer only that yes they were and it was blinding, nervy or disappointing.

If you ask them to devise a limerick for a nation taking part in Euro 2008, they will find a pen, scratch their heads and come up with delights such as pairing Italy with bitterly and Austria with frostier.

I have hosted a football phone-in and, heck, it is not really that difficult as long as the callers have a decent tale to tell. If a stream of exceptionally dull fans tend to phone Spoony or Tim Lovejoy’s 606 then the hosts need to prompt the more interesting ones to call by asking better questions, and crucially, demonstrating that fans who do not have real passion or firm knowledge will be crushed.

Only fans with bottle bother to call Baker or Kelly because Baker and Kelly know their stuff. It is a myth that either of them berates decent innocent footie folk; they simply yearn for a real conversation that goes beyond the tripe of “Who’s going to win on Saturday?” When someone calls in, as they did on Tuesday, to ask to be made Minister of Walcotts, Baker expects there to be no need to explain what that means. Nor does he like towing the line. Baker cranked up the controversy levels stating: “The BBC panel have no reason to be there [Austria]. Happy expenses and all that and yet Jonathan Ross takes all the flak.”

Perhaps having, oh so cautiously, allowed Baker the tiniest slice of airtime, the BBC could now, if not actually giving him more hours, at least opt to ban football’s most boring questions. We can shout across the office or the pub, “Are the Reds up for it?” But once salaries are involved, football fans deserve better. Ask the right questions and you get better answers. The BBC should be asking itself a few right now.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle4192916.ece

Spot on. They want to get him back next season.