Metallica

Toonraider

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love their music (well pre-black album anyway), but Hetfield and Ulrich for example are twats.

As a Zelda fan, I'm tempted to give Metalinka a try.

Oh and Trivium are not pish but they shouldn't keep changing. Their new album is a rip-off of old Metallica, so chances are if you like Metallica you probably wouldn;t like it.

Btw, you can't really call heavy metal a tried cliche unless you've listened to all the different sub-genres of it (and there's many). It's evolving all the time, even if a lot of the modern stuff in nu-metal and now metalcore is cack. Most diverse musical genre by a long way tbh.

Btw, you can't really call heavy metal a tried cliche unless you've listened to all the different sub-genres of it (and there's many). It's evolving all the time, even if a lot of the modern stuff in nu-metal and now metalcore is cack. Most diverse musical genre by a long way tbh.

Wouldn't necessarily agree with the last sentence, but there's a lot more to metal than people unfamiliar with the genre would give it credit for. Same way that I know bog-all about rap/hip-hop/whatever, so a lot of it sounds fairly similar or derivative to my ears, but I'm sure there's plenty of innovation and sub-genrefication going on there too. I just have no particular desire to educate myself about it. :)

Btw, you can't really call heavy metal a tried cliche unless you've listened to all the different sub-genres of it

I would sooner kill myself. :)

Subliminal messages?

Btw, you can't really call heavy metal a tried cliche unless you've listened to all the different sub-genres of it

Subliminal messages?

Apparently if you play Maiden's "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" backwards, it says "EAT.... MORE.... PIES...."

Subliminal messages?

Apparently if you play Maiden's "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" backwards, it says "EAT.... MORE.... PIES...."

:) You will NEVER catch me listening to Iron Maiden forwards OR backwards! <_<

Wouldn't necessarily agree with the last sentence, but there's a lot more to metal than people unfamiliar with the genre would give it credit for. Same way that I know bog-all about rap/hip-hop/whatever, so a lot of it sounds fairly similar or derivative to my ears, but I'm sure there's plenty of innovation and sub-genrefication going on there too. I just have no particular desire to educate myself about it. :)

Hmmm, well admittedly metal is probably the genre of music I listen to most, and there are the ocassional genres I never listen to, so maybe I can;t really judge. But I'd have to say the range from technique, vocals etc is huge. Also metal as a whole takes influence from every other genre of music. Sometimes it works out terribly, I admit. Rap-metal for example.

As the initial impression people get of it though, I can easily prove them wrong, though that won't suggest they'd like it. <_<

Hmmm, well admittedly metal is probably the genre of music I listen to most, and there are the ocassional genres I never listen to, so maybe I can;t really judge. But I'd have to say the range from technique, vocals etc is huge. Also metal as a whole takes influence from every other genre of music. Sometimes it works out terribly, I admit. Rap-metal for example.

As the initial impression people get of it though, I can easily prove them wrong, though that won't suggest they'd like it. <_<

You're right, there are hundreds of different subgenre's, some of which are similar but many of which are so different they have little in common. And the level of creativity, technical ability, vocals and the like is great, but to the unenlightened like Gemmill/Renton :) they think all metal is thrash metal or "cock rock" type stuff. But each to their own!

You're right, there are hundreds of different subgenre's, some of which are similar but many of which are so different they have little in common. And the level of creativity, technical ability, vocals and the like is great, but to the unenlightened like Gemmill/Renton :) they think all metal is thrash metal or "cock rock" type stuff. But each to their own!

Cock rock... argh, can't stand that stuff tbh.

Also find thrash metal gets boring quickly too, though to many non-listeners I'm sure that just means some druggie bashing his drum kit with a club, and the vocalist belching down the microphone without any tune. :blush:

Well OK, it was the production that made the drums sound like dustbins rather than the drums themselves. Either way, you'd expect someone like Ulrich to notice/care.

I got Napster-banned from my favourite PC in the 24-hour labs at uni for downloading Metallica stuff. Bastids. :)

It's not so much that I think it's all thrash metal or cock rock, just that it's all noisy shit. <_<

It's not so much that I think it's all thrash metal or cock rock, just that it's all noisy shit. <_<

Oh baby, pleeeeeease... give a little respe-eeeecct... tooooooo-oooooo heavy metal

Oh baby, pleeeeeease... give a little respe-eeeecct... tooooooo-oooooo heavy metal

There's something not quite right about a gay man taking the piss out of me about Erasure. :)

I hate the fact it is so hackneyed and cliched. The guitars are used to ridiculous excess, killing the melody in the process, and the lyrics are banal and almost always stereotyped (can't think of a single good lyrical song). Then there's the utterly ridiculous 'look' that accompanies it. Ironically, metal fans also tend to be hugely arrogant about the value their music has, which is close to zero for most people.

And before anyone starts, I do not rate goth stuff now either, it's equally bollocks!

Metallica are stlll a great live band even if their studio releases have been less than great recently.

St. Anger is a brilliant album.

Trivium just don't come close IMO.

\m/ <_< \m/

What album were you listening to? :)

You're right, there are hundreds of different subgenre's, some of which are similar but many of which are so different they have little in common. And the level of creativity, technical ability, vocals and the like is great, but to the unenlightened like Gemmill/Renton <_< they think all metal is thrash metal or "cock rock" type stuff. But each to their own!

It's not so much that I think it's all thrash metal or cock rock, just that it's all noisy shit. :)

There's something not quite right about a gay man taking the piss out of me about Erasure. :blush:

While defending heavy metal? I'll admit it's not your everyday scenario... :)