Metallica

Toonraider

Btw, you can't really call heavy metal a tried cliche unless you've listened to all the different sub-genres of it (and there's many). It's evolving all the time, even if a lot of the modern stuff in nu-metal and now metalcore is cack. Most diverse musical genre by a long way tbh.

That's nonsense. Heavy Metal, Metalcore & Nu-Metal are three completely separate genres. That'd be like me coming on here and saying 'well, rock music is a VERY DIVERSE genre, really.'

Erm, what are you trying to say? Metalcore is a type of metal. Nu-metal isn't, but is often considred metal by people who don't know much about metal, and is often the music people think of when they call it "noisy shit". Heavy metal tends to be used as just a general term for metal tbh, even if that is incorrect. Metal is a genre of music, just like rock, classical, jazz etc are. Metalcore is a sub-genre.

Renton I can't assume you know much about the genre from your responses.

As for Metallica, Ride The Lightning is their best album imo. Load/Reload/St Anger all have good songs, but aren't a shade on their 80s stuff. Black album is decent but not the best.

What I'm trying to say is that you can apply the 'most diverse genre' to the other genres, too, and with far more credibility than with metal. For example, I could say 'Rock is very diverse. There is post-rock, math-rock, punk-rock, indie-rock, prog-rock, psychedelic-rock, classic rock, rock'n'roll, blues rock, grunge, Third Wave Ska Revival, New Zealand Rock, Alternative rock, etc, etc, etc.

Of course, Metal itself is simply a sub-genre of a sub-genre (hard rock). So, you know. That's my point.

Math rock? What the fuck is math rock???

Do they croon about the value of Pi or something?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw, you can't really call heavy metal a tried cliche unless you've listened to all the different sub-genres of it (and there's many). It's evolving all the time, even if a lot of the modern stuff in nu-metal and now metalcore is cack. Most diverse musical genre by a long way tbh.

That's nonsense. Heavy Metal, Metalcore & Nu-Metal are three completely separate genres. That'd be like me coming on here and saying 'well, rock music is a VERY DIVERSE genre, really.'

Erm, what are you trying to say? Metalcore is a type of metal. Nu-metal isn't, but is often considred metal by people who don't know much about metal, and is often the music people think of when they call it "noisy shit". Heavy metal tends to be used as just a general term for metal tbh, even if that is incorrect. Metal is a genre of music, just like rock, classical, jazz etc are. Metalcore is a sub-genre.

As for Metallica, Ride The Lightning is their best album imo. Load/Reload/St Anger all have good songs, but aren't a shade on their 80s stuff. Black album is decent but not the best.

What I'm trying to say is that you can apply the 'most diverse genre' to the other genres, too, and with far more credibility than with metal. For example, I could say 'Rock is very diverse. There is post-rock, math-rock, punk-rock, indie-rock, prog-rock, psychedelic-rock, classic rock, rock'n'roll, blues rock, grunge, Third Wave Ska Revival, New Zealand Rock, Alternative rock, etc, etc, etc.

Of course, Metal itself is simply a sub-genre of a sub-genre (hard rock). So, you know. That's my point.

I was just about to ask that but didn't want to seem dim :)

I was just about to ask that but didn't want to seem dim <_<

Bit late for that given some of your posts dear :)

I was just about to ask that but didn't want to seem dim :)

Bit late for that given some of your posts dear :)

<_<

Guest Patrokles

math-rock is an offshoot of post-rock. It's tagged such because of the instrumental complexity, difficult time signatures and the density of the music, intertwining phrases, etc.

math-rock is an offshoot of post-rock. It's tagged such because of the instrumental complexity, difficult time signatures and the density of the music, intertwining phrases, etc.

aahh I see , thanks

clear as mud that like :)

aaaah - prog-rock then. :)

Guest Patrokles

aaaah - prog-rock then. :)

Not so much. It's a very guitar-led style and a lot heavier than prog. Let me try and find some examples.

Guest Patrokles

Slint are fantastic (I think Meenzer will agree) but I always thought of them as post tbh.

Spiderland is the math-rock grandaddy!

Guest Patrokles

Do these math-rockers give any consideration to having decent tunes or is it all a matter of how clever you can be with time signatures, key changes etc?

Oh, it's certainly not all about the cleverness behind it. Although personally I don't like much of it, there's often quite a solid emotional foundation behind it all. They are all very very musically accomplished and what they did was pretty exciting stuff at the time, but it wasn't art for art's sake. As for the decent tunes part, that's open to debate. Personally I find it all a bit too chaotic.

You're right, there are hundreds of different subgenre's, some of which are similar but many of which are so different they have little in common. And the level of creativity, technical ability, vocals and the like is great, but to the unenlightened like Gemmill/Renton :) they think all metal is thrash metal or "cock rock" type stuff. But each to their own!

It's not so much that I think it's all thrash metal or cock rock, just that it's all noisy shit. <_<

I hate the fact it is so hackneyed and cliched. The guitars are used to ridiculous excess, killing the melody in the process, and the lyrics are banal and almost always stereotyped (can't think of a single good lyrical song). Then there's the utterly ridiculous 'look' that accompanies it. Ironically, metal fans also tend to be hugely arrogant about the value their music has, which is close to zero for most people.

And before anyone starts, I do not rate goth stuff now either, it's equally bollocks!

That is ridiculous. A truly uninformed comment. There are a lot of shit metal bands that do things badly, but thats the same for any genre of music. When metal is done well not only is it melodic, but some of the most amazingly technical music you'll get.

Dismissing metal as having 'zero value' and 'stereotyped' is poor IMO.

Ridiculous. Really? OK, the melody is a moot point, if you like it, that's up to you. But I think we can be more objective on the banality of the lyrics of these bands. Why don't you point me in the direction of a Metallica song that has deep and meaningful lyrics then?

I mean, even the names of metal bands tend to be stereotyped, I mean Metallica ffs. Iron Maiden. Slayer. Poison etc.

I know I know very little about the genre now, especially how it has progressed over the last 10 years (although a lot of my friends tried to convince me it was quality in the 80s and 90s, none of them are really into it now), so point me to some stuff which isn't about drug taking, war, violence, shagging, or the Occult etc and maybe I'll think differently.

You're right, there are hundreds of different subgenre's, some of which are similar but many of which are so different they have little in common. And the level of creativity, technical ability, vocals and the like is great, but to the unenlightened like Gemmill/Renton :) they think all metal is thrash metal or "cock rock" type stuff. But each to their own!

It's not so much that I think it's all thrash metal or cock rock, just that it's all noisy shit. <_<

I hate the fact it is so hackneyed and cliched. The guitars are used to ridiculous excess, killing the melody in the process, and the lyrics are banal and almost always stereotyped (can't think of a single good lyrical song). Then there's the utterly ridiculous 'look' that accompanies it. Ironically, metal fans also tend to be hugely arrogant about the value their music has, which is close to zero for most people.

And before anyone starts, I do not rate goth stuff now either, it's equally bollocks!

That is ridiculous. A truly uninformed comment. There are a lot of shit metal bands that do things badly, but thats the same for any genre of music. When metal is done well not only is it melodic, but some of the most amazingly technical music you'll get.

Ridiculous. Really? OK, the melody is a moot point, if you like it, that's up to you. But I think we can be more objective on the banality of the lyrics of these bands. Why don't you point me in the direction of a Metallica song that has deep and meaningful lyrics then?

I mean, even the names of metal bands tend to be stereotyped, I mean Metallica ffs. Iron Maiden. Slayer. Poison etc.

I know I know very little about the genre now, especially how it has progressed over the last 10 years (although a lot of my friends tried to convince me it was quality in the 80s and 90s, none of them are really into it now), so point me to some stuff which isn't about drug taking, war, violence, shagging, or the Occult etc and maybe I'll think differently.

System Of A Down

Guest Patrokles

I really enjoy a band called Therion, the later stuff they did. There's an album called Secret of the Runes that's genuinely enjoyable. I mean, you're bang on when it comes to the lyrics and Therion are no exception, but they're a Norse band and the album is based around the concept of Norse mythology, so it's quite interesting to that exent. The most interesting thing though is how well it works musically. Sure, it's clearly metal, but it's really worth giving a go.

The main thing I find with metal, good metal, is that it's just good fun. It's impossible to take metal seriously, though that doesn't preclude enjoyment. For example, a Therion song called 'Nightside of Eden' is RIDICULOUS, but all the more brilliant for it. I think the trouble comes when fans of the genre really try and present it as something deep and all that. Because, really, it's not. At all. It's macho music. Look at Manowar, for example! But it can be extremely fun in the right mood.

System Of A Down

Syndrome Of A Down more like.

Guest Patrokles

re. Therion. How could this NOT be really OTT fun?:

Therion Goes Classic - At the Palace Hall/Bucharest/Romania, on December 9th, Therion plays with full symphonic orchestra, choir and international opera stars.

The band will go on stage with nearly 70 musicians of the Academic Radio Choir, 100 instrumentists of the Romanian Radio Orchestra and guest classical singers from Vienna, awarded as best opera-voices world-wide.

Markus Stollenwerk, who joined the famous German band Rage for their “Lingua Mortis” album will be the conductor of this world-premiere event.

The repertoire includes famous classical pieces in Therion’s version, as well as Therion songs with symphonic orchestra, some of them never played live before.

The project is done with kind support of the Swedish Embassy in Romania.

“Therion Goes Classic” concert is part of a project called “Ars musicae, ars medicinae – music against cancer” developed by Aquarius Foundation/Romania; all thanks for the initiative go to Therion. Funds raised following the concert are aimed to the treatment of children with cancer in Romania in 2007. Organisers also thank Wolfgang Milchrahm/Austria for his support.

It's not so much that I think it's all thrash metal or cock rock, just that it's all noisy shit. :)

I really enjoy a band called Therion, the later stuff they did. There's an album called Secret of the Runes that's genuinely enjoyable. I mean, you're bang on when it comes to the lyrics and Therion are no exception, but they're a Norse band and the album is based around the concept of Norse mythology, so it's quite interesting to that exent. The most interesting thing though is how well it works musically. Sure, it's clearly metal, but it's really worth giving a go.

The main thing I find with metal, good metal, is that it's just good fun. It's impossible to take metal seriously, though that doesn't preclude enjoyment. For example, a Therion song called 'Nightside of Eden' is RIDICULOUS, but all the more brilliant for it. I think the trouble comes when fans of the genre really try and present it as something deep and all that. Because, really, it's not. At all. It's macho music. Look at Manowar, for example! But it can be extremely fun in the right mood.

It makes more sense when you put it like that, that it's more entertainment than fine art. As that was such a reasonably balanced post I think I'll stop my wind up now..... <_<

Each to there own etc. Anyway, I don't know if this is common knowledge, but Gemmill has Coldplay posters on his bedroom wall ffs!

System Of A Down

Very clever. :)

In all the time I've been on any of these forums I don't recall ever once seeing you admit to liking any music whatsoever.

Actually, you did mention Ian Brown once I think, is that the extent of your tastes?

Guest Patrokles

It's not so much that I think it's all thrash metal or cock rock, just that it's all noisy shit. :)

It makes more sense when you put it like that, that it's more entertainment than fine art. As that was such a reasonably balanced post I think I'll stop my wind up now..... <_<

Each to there own etc. Anyway, I don't know if this is common knowledge, but Gemmill has Coldplay posters on his bedroom wall ffs!

well, I'm not really one of the metal die-hards, so feel free to continue winding up those who are.

Why are you trying to divert attention to me you utter nancy boy!

It's their, not there by the way. And it's to each their own, not each to their own. God you're an IMBECILE!

:)

Fuck off!

Btw, wasn't the last band you saw Erasure?

You're right, there are hundreds of different subgenre's, some of which are similar but many of which are so different they have little in common. And the level of creativity, technical ability, vocals and the like is great, but to the unenlightened like Gemmill/Renton <_< they think all metal is thrash metal or "cock rock" type stuff. But each to their own!

System Of A Down

Very clever. :blush:

In all the time I've been on any of these forums I don't recall ever once seeing you admit to liking any music whatsoever.

Actually, you did mention Ian Brown once I think, is that the extent of your tastes?

Nah, he gets on my nerves a bit tbh - his albums have an awful lot of shit on them. I like all sorts of stuff, I just don't really talk about it all that much. :)