Question for the Irish amongst us

Mags

Will be on your fair shores this week in the Galway area- anything that you can recommend as a must see?

The nearest airport with a 'plane to Tyneside????

Been there many many, many moons ago but can't remember a thing about it - probably pissed as a fart most like. :unsure:

There's always :unsure:

That'll be a given...have three days open and really am not keen on the 'view the working sheep farm' idea. I'm not adverse to the pubs and snapping pics of the area and bay for that time but looking for other ideas as well.

Have you got your accomodation sorted? My parents were down there a few months ago and stayed in The G which is a new 5 star hotel but the prices aren't ridiculous, they seem to highly recommend it.

Galway is a lovely city and there's loads of bars, restaurants etc as it's a big university town. If you get the chance to get off the beaten track then head for Connemara and Clifden. Some of the most stunning scenery ever.

Yes, accomodations are all sorted... one of those package deals with airfare and lodging. Quite impressed actually upon looking into where I'll be staying.

don't proclaim your Irish Heritage at the top of your lungs like every other American Tourist.. I'm sure it pisses the Irish off as much as it does the rest of us

Yes, accomodations are all sorted... one of those package deals with airfare and lodging. Quite impressed actually upon looking into where I'll be staying.

Where are you staying ??

Galway is a lovely city and there's loads of bars, restaurants etc as it's a big university town. If you get the chance to get off the beaten track then head for Connemara and Clifden. Some of the most stunning scenery ever.

Cheers Cath :unsure:

Where are you staying ??

First night is at Killarney Towers Hotel- after that I'll have to check my itinerary- can't remember the name of the other place.

Ignorant yank question here too- what's customary for tipping waitstaff or any drivers? (Different customs and accepted norms)

If you're in a restaurant with service probably about 10%, but check your bill to make sure you haven't been given a service charge already. I usually tip taxi drivers about 10% too. I don't think you need to tip anyone else.

Why do Americans love Ireland so much though? No offence to the irish, but I think there are plenty of other European countries that are more interesting, including England.

Tip no one! Ever.

Well you can if the service was good or the driver made an effort to chat to yous but its not as standard as it is in the States.

Tight wad. I thought you were irish, not scottish. :unsure:

If you're in a restaurant with service probably about 10%, but check your bill to make sure you haven't been given a service charge already. I usually tip taxi drivers about 10% too. I don't think you need to tip anyone else.

Absolute rubbish, why should a tip be automatic? You're paying the restaurant already for the service, by tipping you're paying twice, as I said it should only be done if the service was above your expectation.

And any restaurant that charges me a service charge without it being explicitly stated in the menu can get fucked too, a restaurant I went to in Covent Garden once tried to charge me a service charge AND for listening to the band they had on (£5 a head!), needless to say the cunts didn't get it.

Ignorant yank question here too- what's customary for tipping waitstaff or any drivers? (Different customs and accepted norms)

Why do Americans love Ireland so much though? No offence to the irish, but I think there are plenty of other European countries that are more interesting, including England.

A lot of Americans have Irish ancestry, I imagine that accounts for most of it. It's the same in this country though, compare the celebrations of St Patrick's day to St George's day!

A lot of Americans have Irish ancestry, I imagine that accounts for most of it. It's the same in this country though, compare the celebrations of St Patrick's day to St George's day!

Most have more British blood in them than Irish though. The anti-British sentiment in Boston is frigging ridiculous when you consider this!

Absolute rubbish, why should a tip be automatic? You're paying the restaurant already for the service, by tipping you're paying twice, as I said it should only be done if the service was above your expectation.

And any restaurant that charges me a service charge without it being explicitly stated in the menu can get fucked too, a restaurant I went to in Covent Garden once tried to charge me a service charge AND for listening to the band they had on (£5 a head!), needless to say the cunts didn't get it.

Well I only don't tip if the service is shit. Most waiting staff are on minimum wage after all. I probably shouldn't tip taxi drivers but I usually do for some reason.

And anyway, I would imagine it would very much be expected for an American to tip in Ireland, but if Mags doesn't mind embarassment then that's her perogative.

Most have more British blood in them than Irish though. The anti-British sentiment in Boston is frigging ridiculous when you consider this!

Fair point.

I generally don't work out 10% or anything, I just tip to what sounds about right

if the seven housemates have had a good meal with good service and it came to £90 I'd get everyone to chip in to take it up to hundred.

If I'm out with a girl and I'm buying dinner I'll tip a little more generously, out for a curry with a bunch of lads it's the change we've got.

Taxi drivers rarely if ever get a tip, they're a bunch of robbing bastards as it is down here, so I aim to pay the exact fair and will even argue about the length or path of the journey.

just curious, whats the most you've ever been tipped, or tipped another?

the best thing to see in Ireland is the bottom of a Guinness glass

Oh, I dunno, I can think of a couple of reasons to pay a visit to the Emerald isle

index.jpg

and I couldn't be bothered to block out the guy on the left before you lot try to insinuate that I am, in any way gay,

I don't know what it is with us yanks and any part of Great britain to be honest. For myself I enjoyed England and am going to Ireland because the opportunity came up and I've never been. This really has nothing to do with being American. I love to travel and would have been just as chuffed going to Istanbul as Galway.

Agreed on Boston but it's simply a fact of many people there having STRONG legitimate (familial) irish ties and the more recent history there is catholic irish immigration. You'd swear the IRA was alive and kicking in Boston in certain areas and the pride these people take in their heritage is unbelievable.

*edit* Dave?The Corrs? Bit too elevator muzak-ish for me.

Edited by Mags