Jump to content

Hobbit movie to be made without Peter Jackson


Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the latest comment in the controversy surrounding a proposed movie based on J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, New Line head Robert Shaye told SCI FI Wire in no uncertain terms that the studio won't work with Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson on that film or any other film. Ever. At least not as long as Shaye is in charge.

 

Shaye's comments marked the first time a New Line executive has commented publicly on the fracas since Jackson announced that he has pulled out of the project and also appears to harden New Line's position against Jackson.

 

"I do not want to make a movie with somebody who is suing me," Shaye—New Line's chief executive officer—said in an interview on Jan. 5 while promoting The Last Mimzy, a New Line family fantasy that marks his first time in a director's chair since 1990's Book of Love. "It will never happen during my watch."

 

Jackson had told TheOneRing.net in November that he and partner Fran Walsh were bowing out after New Line, which produced the Rings films and has production rights to The Hobbit, told them the studio was moving ahead with The Hobbit without them. Jackson has said he won't discuss The Hobbit until a lawsuit against New Line over Rings accounting practices is settled.

 

As far as Shaye is concerned, Jackson is no longer welcome. "There's a kind of arrogance," Shaye said. "Not that I don't think Peter is a good filmmaker and that he hasn't contributed significantly to filmography and made three very good movies. And I don't even expect him to say 'thank you' for having me make it happen and having New Line make it happen. But to think that I, as a functionary in [a] company that has been around for a long time, but is now owned by a very big conglomerate, would care one bit about trying to cheat the guy, ... he's either had very poor counsel or is completely misinformed and myopic to think that I care whether I give him [anything]."

 

Shaye, who was also an executive producer on the Rings films, added: "He got a quarter of a billion dollars paid to him so far, justifiably, according to contract, completely right, and this guy, who already has received a quarter of a billion dollars, turns around without wanting to have a discussion with us and sues us and refuses to discuss it unless we just give in to his plan. I don't want to work with that guy anymore. Why would I? So the answer is he will never make any movie with New Line Cinema again while I'm still working for the company."

 

Shaye said that many of the Rings trilogy actors "suddenly, because, I'm guessing, of Peter's complaint," have declined to participate in celebrating New Line's 40th anniversary. "I'm incredibly offended," he said. "I don't care about Peter Jackson anymore. He wants to have another $100 million or $50 million, whatever he's suing us for. He doesn't want to sit down and talk about it. He thinks that we owe him something after we've paid him over a quarter of a billion dollars. ... Cheers, Peter."

 

New Line's hardened position against Jackson isn't the end of the story, of course. MGM, which owns the distribution rights to The Hobbit, on Nov. 20 told Variety through a spokesman that "the matter of Peter Jackson directing the Hobbit films is far from closed."

 

In his own online statement, Jackson said that New Line executive Mark Ordesky, who shepherded the Rings trilogy, argued that New Line is dumping Jackson because the studio has a "limited time option" on the film rights, obtained from Saul Zaentz.

 

Bit of an arse playing the quarter of a billion card given that the trilogy earned almost $3Billion at the cinema alone and the dispute is over DVD royalties that New Line want to barter over with him without disclosing actual profits.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoever directs it, the movie will be gash.

 

Considering your "taste" that’s a glowing endorsement for the movie tbh.

Can you honestly say that the three LOTR films weren't disappointing?

Yes

 

Singling me out taste-wise because you dislike Bowling For Soup is somewhat ignorant tbh.

 

It's not just Bowling for Soup tbh. It's the fact you love all the Saw's and all the Final Destination's but you hate Misery and thought Hostel was shit.

 

Bass-ackward on EVERY SINGLE THING.

 

I like the Final Destinations for what they are: cheesy flicks you can watch with people for a laugh.

 

Misery was godawful, especially since I enjoyed the book.

 

Hostel was tripe. There was no decent plot, rather it was an attempt to push the limits set by the MPAA and get away with as much sex and gore as possible. What's worse is there's going to be a fucking Hostel 2, if the 1st wasn't awful enough.

 

Where the fuck was all the sex in hostel? I think I've missed out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It did have Kate Winslet's tits in tbf

I think he was taking the piss.

 

<_<

 

The saga continues with a retort from Jackson via his production company...

 

Our issue with New Line Cinema has only ever been about their refusal to account for financial anomalies that surfaced from a partial audit of The Fellowship of the Ring. Contrary to recent comments made by Bob Shaye, we attempted to discuss the issues raised by the Fellowship audit with New Line for over a year but the studio was and continues to be completely uncooperative. This has compelled us to file a lawsuit to pursue our contractual rights under the law. Nobody likes taking legal action, but the studio left us with no alternative.

 

For over two years, New Line has denied us the ability to audit The Two Towers and The Return of the King, despite repeated requests. Film auditing is a common and straightforward practice within the industry and we don't understand why New Line Cinema has taken this position.

 

In light of these circumstances, I didn't think it was appropriate for me to be involved in New Line Cinema's 40th Anniversary video. I have never discussed this video with any of the cast of The Lord of the Rings. The issues that Bob Shaye has with the cast pre-date this law suit by many years.

 

Fundamentally, our legal action is about holding New Line to it's contractual obligations and promises. It is regrettable that Bob has chosen to make it personal. I have always had the highest respect and affection for Bob and other senior management at New Line and continue to do so.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It did have Kate Winslet's tits in tbf

I think he was taking the piss.

 

<_<

 

The saga continues with a retort from Jackson via his production company...

 

Our issue with New Line Cinema has only ever been about their refusal to account for financial anomalies that surfaced from a partial audit of The Fellowship of the Ring. Contrary to recent comments made by Bob Shaye, we attempted to discuss the issues raised by the Fellowship audit with New Line for over a year but the studio was and continues to be completely uncooperative. This has compelled us to file a lawsuit to pursue our contractual rights under the law. Nobody likes taking legal action, but the studio left us with no alternative.

 

For over two years, New Line has denied us the ability to audit The Two Towers and The Return of the King, despite repeated requests. Film auditing is a common and straightforward practice within the industry and we don't understand why New Line Cinema has taken this position.

 

In light of these circumstances, I didn't think it was appropriate for me to be involved in New Line Cinema's 40th Anniversary video. I have never discussed this video with any of the cast of The Lord of the Rings. The issues that Bob Shaye has with the cast pre-date this law suit by many years.

 

Fundamentally, our legal action is about holding New Line to it's contractual obligations and promises. It is regrettable that Bob has chosen to make it personal. I have always had the highest respect and affection for Bob and other senior management at New Line and continue to do so.

 

 

It always gets ugly when they fight over money and what actually constitutes profit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It did have Kate Winslet's tits in tbf

I think he was taking the piss.

 

<_<

 

The saga continues with a retort from Jackson via his production company...

 

Our issue with New Line Cinema has only ever been about their refusal to account for financial anomalies that surfaced from a partial audit of The Fellowship of the Ring. Contrary to recent comments made by Bob Shaye, we attempted to discuss the issues raised by the Fellowship audit with New Line for over a year but the studio was and continues to be completely uncooperative. This has compelled us to file a lawsuit to pursue our contractual rights under the law. Nobody likes taking legal action, but the studio left us with no alternative.

 

For over two years, New Line has denied us the ability to audit The Two Towers and The Return of the King, despite repeated requests. Film auditing is a common and straightforward practice within the industry and we don't understand why New Line Cinema has taken this position.

 

In light of these circumstances, I didn't think it was appropriate for me to be involved in New Line Cinema's 40th Anniversary video. I have never discussed this video with any of the cast of The Lord of the Rings. The issues that Bob Shaye has with the cast pre-date this law suit by many years.

 

Fundamentally, our legal action is about holding New Line to it's contractual obligations and promises. It is regrettable that Bob has chosen to make it personal. I have always had the highest respect and affection for Bob and other senior management at New Line and continue to do so.

 

Newline should just kick out Bob Shaye who seems like a bit of a prick, fulfill their contractual obligations and make the Hobbit with Jackson which is waht all the fans want and which will make them (and him) another shitload of money!

 

But that would be a bit too sensible so instead they'll keep fighting Jackson and try and get other people to make the film meaning it has a completely different director, writers, creative team, special effects team and everything else and may not get the likes of Mckellan back either!

Link to post
Share on other sites

aahhh but the whole of Hollywood is based on NEVER making a profit however much $$$$$$$ a movie takes - they reckon there si far more talent and invention in the finace & accounting depts of a studio than you ever see on the Big Screen

 

 

Which is why wise men & women take a cut of the TAKINGS before dedcutions

Link to post
Share on other sites

aahhh but the whole of Hollywood is based on NEVER making a profit however much $$$$$$$ a movie takes - they reckon there si far more talent and invention in the finace & accounting depts of a studio than you ever see on the Big Screen

 

 

Which is why wise men & women take a cut of the TAKINGS before dedcutions

 

When they say "Gross or net"? Be sure to pick the right one. <_<

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 11 months later...

Sense prevails !

 

Peter Jackson, Oscar-winning director of the Lord of the Rings movies, has signed a deal to produce two films based on JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit.

 

The filmmaker had been in dispute with New Line Cinema over income generated by the first film in the Rings trilogy.

 

"I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us," said Jackson. "We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth."

 

A director for the films - prequels to the Rings movies - has yet to be named.

 

The two Hobbit films will be filmed simultaneously, with their release planned for 2010 and 2011.

 

'New chapter'

 

Sir Ian McKellen has already expressed an interest in reprising his role as the wizard Gandalf.

 

In a statement, Jackson said the agreement enabled his Wingnut Films company to "begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line".

 

The three films in the Rings trilogy generated $3bn (£1.48bn) at the worldwide box office and won 17 Oscars.

 

New Line co-chairman Bob Shaye had previously said Jackson would never make The Hobbit "during my watch".

Link to post
Share on other sites
New Line co-chairman Bob Shaye had previously said Jackson would never make The Hobbit "during my watch".

 

Bob Shaye, New Line Co-Chairman and Co-CEO comments, “We are very pleased we have been able to resolve our differences, and that Peter and Fran will be actively and creatively involved with ‘The Hobbit’ movies. We know they will bring the same passion, care and talent to these films that they so ably accomplished with ‘The Lord of the Rings’ Trilogy.”

 

;)

 

MGM and New Line will co-finance and co-distribute two films, “The Hobbit” and a sequel to “The Hobbit.” New Line will distribute in North America and MGM will distribute internationally.

 

;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Good news indeed. Bit puzzled by "two" films though? Unless its one called "There" and the other called "Back Again" ;)

 

I presume the other film would be based on 'The Silmarilion' ;) which tells the tales from a much earlier middle earth. Before Gollum had the ring when Isildur took it from the dark lord and should have destroyed it when he had the chance.

 

Sorry!!! huge fan of all the books

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope jackson learns from the mistakes he made in LOTR`s.

 

He made them far too sentimental and concentrated too much on the battle scenes.

 

I enjoyed the 1st film but was disappointed with next 2. The middle film was the weakest imo.

 

Wonder how they will mangle the hobbit into 2 films....looks like they planning to make the battle of the 5 armies into half the second film (

 

I wonder if TOlkien is a bit miffed right now!

 

 

"Before Gollum had the ring when Isildur took it from the dark lord and should have destroyed it when he had the chance. "

 

DO new line own the copyright for the silmarilion?? I am guessing this will be left alone and in 5 years time another 3films will be made to spin out the revenue a bit further!

Edited by qscqscqsc
Link to post
Share on other sites
Good news indeed. Bit puzzled by "two" films though? Unless its one called "There" and the other called "Back Again" ;)

 

I presume the other film would be based on 'The Silmarilion' ;) which tells the tales from a much earlier middle earth. Before Gollum had the ring when Isildur took it from the dark lord and should have destroyed it when he had the chance.

 

Sorry!!! huge fan of all the books

 

Apparently the first one will be The Hobbit and the second one will be between the Hobbit and LOTR.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...