Suicide

adios

It's a selfish, cowardly thing to do.

Never been directly affected by it, but have seen the effects on close friends of mine.

A guy I went to school with was working in Ireland with his dad, just doing some laboring. His dad comes home to the Hotel from the pub, find Chris swinging from his neck.

I have no sympathy for people who attempt suicide either. I'd love to find out exactly how many truly want to die, and how many are just doing it for attention.

and these fuckers who jump off bridges into traffic or the path of trains are fucking subhuman scum tbh.

When someone is that depressed they can barely fucking function man, cowerdice doesnt really exist.

If someone's going through that much pain then i guess for some people its the way out.

However suicide is a sin and they'l only go to hell anyway... :(

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You haven't been directly affected then you haven't got a fucking clue. You might think about a slightly more compassionate, empathetic and understanding approach before you finish your degree and are let loose on the general public.

She's got a point, like, that's a shocking attitude who wants to be a psychologist(?)

You two need to read the post before damning me.

The people who do it cause untold pain and suffering to those they leave behind. If I need deal with the mess of someone being so selfish, then of course I'd be tactful, but this is an internet message forum, where none of you are seeking couselling, especially not from me.

I cannot have sympathy for the people who attempt suicide because it's not in my nature. If I knew of a person who was contemplating it I'd certainly want to change their mind, search for the cause of their anguish and fix it. But I wouldn't for one minute think "Oh poor You" Suicide is a cowards way out and as such I'm not going to sympathise. If you're angry because you think I don't get the pain that the person leaves, then you didn't read the post. If you are angry because I don't care about the one who has died, then fine, because in committing suicide they've dumped all their misery onto someone else and fucked off.

unforgivable to me.

(p.s. I didn't see Cats post and would have phrased it better if I had)

I refer you back to your sentence where you state you have never been directly affected. Maybe if you had you would think differently because I know I do now.

My mate was many things. He was larger-than-life, gregarious, compassionate, caring, arrogant, the life and soul and in every aspect of his life he put others before himself. I don't, and will never accept that he was cowardly. Desperate, despondent and irrational - maybe, but not a coward. He was a nurse and killed himself with a drug knowing exactly what he was doing and what the consequences would be. That takes some fucking guts, and I will never, ever understand why he did it because his family and friends were EVERYTHING to him and had he been rational he never would have done this to the people he loved more than anything in the world.

Friend of mine did it 5 years ago. Taught me one thing, its nothing but a waste. Doesn't solve anything and causes alot of pain for others. Guess it shows the level of desperation some folk reach.

Presumably if your friend was going through a lot of pain, it solved that?

not really, the suicide just transferred his friends pain to other people.

It stopped his pain, no?

You two need to read the post before damning me.

I don't see how you think I've misread anything you said, unless you mean that usual grammatical error I ignored?

I didn't damn you btw.

Personally I think it's far more selfish to demand someone carry on living just to edify their friends and family. If someone's miserable enough to want to die, then to want them to live longer just so it doesn't make you feel upset is a bit much. Let's be honest, even when life isn't bad, it's still mostly boring with flashes of great enjoyment, which most people live for. It's like working 9-5 every day and waiting for the weekend. Personally I believe that most things in life aren't worth getting upset/down over, and in normal circumstances I'd never even contemplate suicide, because I know shit works out fine. But personally, over the last 2 years, I've been faced with a health problem that doesn't look like it's every going to be resolved. There's nothing I can do about it. Talking about it doesn't help, it can't be just gotten over or ignored, and I can't work through it, like I have been able to whenever anything else has gone wrong for me. I tell you something, I'm certainly not willing to spend the rest of my life like this, and anyone who wants me to just so it doesn't affect them is more selfish than any suicide.

Fair enough.

I feel sorry for those who feel the need to kill themselves to escape from whatever it is that is making life unbearable but don't take other with you. That Dad who jumped off a balcony on holiday with his children is exactly the type of person i'm talking about. Same goes for these people who throw themselves infront of trains and scar those on board for life. That's not fair.

Guest Patrokles

Just like to clarify that I wasn't suggesting I'm going to off myself. I was just giving an example of why people might not want to go on living, through no fault of their own, and in a situation they personally can't alter at all.

It's no surprise that there are polar opinions on this.

end of the day I would never be able to forgive.

People can call me selfish if they like, but to kill yourself is, in my opinion, taking the easy way out.

Especially when it leaves the devastation behind.

Edited by The Fish

To call them cowardly is an awful thing to say.

To be cowardly is to lack the courage to face danger, pain, peril etc.

would have thought that to call them cowardly was apt.

I know it stokes emotions and but it's the best word I can think of to describe the way I feel about the people who do this.

People can call me selfish if they like, but to kill yourself is, in my opinion, taking the easy way out.

Especially when it leaves devastation the behind.

How is it easy, exactly? I'd have to guess you've really never put too much thought into it to think it's easy. I can't imagine having the mental strength to go through with something like that.

Selfish, yes, every human action is. It wasn't that that you said it was selfish, it was that you'd be one of the last people I would be likely to ask for psychological help from, which might be of some concern to you...

Especially when it leaves the devastation behind.

easy? WTF is easy about clambering onto the ledge of a bridge and chucking yourself off? Thats not the easy way at all, the easy way is to sit and wallow in your own depression day after day, thats the easy bit, finally ending it must be fucking hard.

And you can say you would never forgive but frankly, as Cath said until you've experienced it first hand then you havent got a clue what your reaction will be.

Guest Patrokles

To be honest, there are two school of thought on the whole 'cowardly' issue, too. For example, I daresay that many suicides AGONISE over the hurt and devastation they'd lead behind; I'd go so far as to say that those potential suicides who are loved and know they are are probably deterred more by those still alive and close to them than anything else.

Additionally, there is a desire to remain around those people, too. You don't want to just leave everyone behind when there is shit you want to do with/for them, times you want to spend with them.

The easy option in some ways is actually to keep going, no matter how sad you are, because it's so much harder to wilfully hurt people you care about and who care about you. And harder to accept a world without you in it when there's so much you still wanted to achieve.

There are obviously occasions on which suicide is a cowardly way out, yes, but I think it's important to consider the other side to it. Imagine how hard it is to leave a girl or boy you are madly in love with and who feels the same about you, even for a few months. Then imagine the knowledge that you'd be leaving everyone, forever. I know that rationally, you're not going to care once you're dead, but it doesn't work like that. Giving up people is a lot harder than just going through the motions daily.

To call them cowardly is an awful thing to say.

To be cowardly is to lack the courage to face danger, pain, peril etc.

would have thought that to call them cowardly was apt.

I know it stokes emotions and but it's the best word I can think of to describe the way I feel about the people who do this.

Depression is a condition not some fucker saying they cant be arsed to go to work anymore,

They cant see logic or sense and they only see one way out, that how bad they feel.

Its not something that can be turned round by change of circumstance, people have to go to hospitals and have treatment for depression,

People have to get out of the ''cheer up dave you puff'' attitude.

Go on an NHS website and actaully read about depression FFS....

By "easy" I blatantly meant "easier than facing whatever it is that you think is unbearable."

and If someone was depressed and seeking counsel of course I'd be a professional about it, just as I'm sure the medics on here have to shelve their personal feelings about a myriad of patients. Be they drug or spousal abusers, they'd still receive the very best treatment the medics could deliver.

someone asked my opinion I gave it, and as I'm being vilified I think it's best if I stop replying here.

It's fine to be indignant and say that "I won't know until..." and that's fair, but I was asked my opinion and my opinion is that suicide is easier than facing whatever it is, suicide is easier than seeking help. It's my opinion that the devastation it leaves behind makes in unjustifiable.

but like I say, as it's upset so many people I'll keep my opinion to myself in future.

Fishy isnt really gonna become a psychologist is he? :D

I think so, maybe I'm wrong. If right, though, this line from T-Keith really takes the biscuit:

Depression is a condition not some fucker saying they cant be arsed to go to work anymore,

:(

Guest Patrokles

By "easy" I blatantly meant "easier than facing whatever it is that you think is unbearable."

and If someone was depressed and seeking counsel of course I'd be a professional about it, just as I'm sure the medics on here have to shelve their personal feelings about a myriad of patients. Be they drug or spousal abusers, they'd still receive the very best treatment the medics could deliver.

someone asked my opinion I gave it, and as I'm being vilified I think it's best if I stop replying here.

It's fine to be indignant and say that "I won't know until..." and that's fair, but I was asked my opinion and my opinion is that suicide is easier than facing whatever it is, suicide is easier than seeking help. It's my opinion that the devastation it leaves behind makes in unjustifiable.

but like I say, as it's upset so many people I'll keep my opinion to myself in future.

But, again, it could be argued that the concept of taking your own life is far less bearable for most than continuing to exist.

I think so, maybe I'm wrong. If right, though, this line from T-Keith really takes the biscuit:

?

In what manner?

Are you really thinking about these two options, though?

?

In what manner?

That a future psychologist needs to be told these most basic of facts.

Fishy isnt really gonna become a psychologist is he? :(

:D

?

In what manner?

That a future psychologist needs to be told these most basic of facts.

I wasnt aware he was future psychologist.

I hope his opinion changes.... :(

Fishy isnt really gonna become a psychologist is he? :(

?

In what manner?

he means that it implies that despite studying it, you think I know nothing. :lol:

but seriously I have my opinions on the matter and clearly I've gotten everyones knickers in a twist. I'm man enough to say my beliefs are not going to win me any "nicest bloke in Britain" prizes, but they are MY opinions.

and as this is an internet message board and not a court of law I really don't think I needed to do anything but give chicken nugget answers.

if you wanted a full essay on suicide, depression etc. then I'd love to.

maybe then you'd understand why I've formed this opinion and not just leap around from indignation to affront.

FFS I might not be all warm and fuzzy, but I've made an opinion based on what I know. So sue me. :D