Peter Crouch

Baggio

NEWCASTLE are weighing up a sensational transfer-window bid for Liverpool's Peter Crouch.

The Geordies are desperate to strengthen their firepower — and they see the England striker as the perfect man to lead the Toon attack.

Crouch, 25, joined Liverpool from Southampton in a £7million deal in July 2005 and he has scored nine goals for the Reds this season.

But boss Rafa Benitez wants to keep his strike-force intact to maintain their challenge in the Champions League this season — though there might be room for manoeuvre during the summer.

Crouch might welcome the move since he is thought to be unsettled by having to share first-team opportunities at Anfield with Craig Bellamy, Dirk Kuyt and Robbie Fowler.

Geordie boss Glenn Roeder will also make a £3m bid to sign Wes Brown from Manchester United next month.

Roeder knows he needs to land at least two new defenders — with Craig Moore admitting he will quit the club at the end of the season and Titus Bramble out of contract in the summer.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/story_page...rt/sport3.shtml

Posted this elsewhere until I found this :

Roeder on Red alert for Crouch

Dec 12 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United are keeping tabs on Liverpool's England beanpole striker Peter Crouch.

And while they accept it is going to be difficult to prise the 6ft 7ins striker away from Anfield, no-one knows just how the £450m takeover of Liverpool by the mega-rich Dubai International Capital Group is going to affect the red half of Merseyside.

United were actually alerted to the fact that Crouch (pictured) was not going to be an automatic choice in Rafael Benitez's side when they were beaten by Liverpool at Anfield in September.

And, sure enough, Liverpool have a three-into-two-won't-go situation with 25-year-old Crouch, United's summer target Dirk Kuyt and former Newcastle striker Craig Bellamy vying for the two front roles.

All United boss Glenn Roeder would say on the subject today was: "I am an admirer of the way Peter Crouch plays and the fact that he also scores goals."

Meanwhile, United were linked with a £2m move for Middlesbrough striker Mark Viduka over the weekend.

But while they were desperate to sign the Aussie international forward at the end of the August transfer deadline - and the player was just as desperate to come to St James' Park - this interest is now dead.

With the January transfer window just 19 days away, Roeder knows that United are going to be linked with a host a players, and last weekend was no exception.

Middlesbrough's former United defender Jonathan Woodgate was mentioned, as was another of United's August transfer targets, Fulham's England international defender Zat Knight.

This follows hard on the heels of reports in the last couple of weeks that United were hoping to bring another of their former defenders, Sylvain Distin, back to St James' Park.

However, Roeder said simply today: "I am not interested in bringing Jonathan Woodgate, Sylvain Distin or Zat Knight to Newcastle United."

As in the case of Knight and Viduka, United made a last-gasp effort to bring Blackburn defender Lucas Neill to St James' Park in the last 48 hours of the August transfer window.

But at Ewood Park on Saturday, Neill blotted his copybook with a poor performance against United in general and Charles N'Zogbia in particular, and Newcastle will not compete with Liverpool for the Aussie defender at the turn of the year.

Meanwhile, Chelsea striker Didier Drogba is convinced he and attacking partner Andriy Shevchenko can be a hit.

The Ukrainian has struggled for form since his £30.8m move to west London from AC Milan in the summer, and was substituted in the Blues' 1-1 draw with Arsenal on Sunday. But Ivory Coast striker Drogba, who in contrast has banged in 14 goals this season, added: "He needs to adapt to the way the team plays and to the league.

"That is not the most easy thing to do. But it is going well, he makes them for me to score and I make them for him to score."

Chelsea's draw with Arsenal leaves them eight points behind Premiership leaders Manchester United, a gap they can cut to five if they beat Newcastle at Stamford Bridge tomorrow night.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

i can't understand why crouch isn't getting a game at liverpool. he's been scoring for fun this year.

we need a new striker and i'd welcome him to the club, but on our budget i think we should be looking at cheaper targets - especially when we need at least two new defenders.

i can't understand why crouch isn't getting a game at liverpool. he's been scoring for fun this year.

we need a new striker and i'd welcome him to the club, but on our budget i think we should be looking at cheaper targets - especially when we need at least two new defenders.

OMG you still think we need defenders more than strikers you double wanker!!!!!!

OMG you still think we need defenders more than strikers you double wanker!!!!!!

Now now, chum <_<

how many of those games has he started?

If he was playing well he'd start more though, don't you think? I think he's a canny player tbf but I'm not sure he's what we need. I don't see him as a target man.

2 league goals this season suggests otherwise.

he hasn't started that many games in the league tbf. he's scored a few for england in for liverpool ib cup competitions. isn't he their top scorer in the champions league this season?

I think he's had a great year. When he was at Southampton he tore poor Titus to shreds at St. James'. Linked up well with Owen too whenever they've played together.

he's the sort of striker owen enjoys playing alongside. i imagine he'll be at least £7-8m though, so probably too much for us this time.

he hasn't started that many games in the league tbf. he's scored a few for england in for liverpool ib cup competitions. isn't he their top scorer in the champions league this season?

14 starts and 6 sub appearances. I'd be very reluctant to spend the money required on a player based on a purple patch, IMO Crouch is very much a hot and cold player and not one I'd have a great deal of confidence in.

14 starts and 6 sub appearances. I'd be very reluctant to spend the money required on a player based on a purple patch, IMO Crouch is very much a hot and cold player and not one I'd have a great deal of confidence in.

he's never going to be prolific over the course of a season but you've also got to look at what he offers to the team. he's a good outlet and plays well with his back to goal - exactly the kind of player we need imo.

the downside on that is the increased temptation for the likes of bramble to lump it forward to the big fella.

i'd expect him to chip in with 10-15 goals a season - not bad if he's playing alongside a clinical finisher like owen.

but tbph, i don't see it happening. he'll be too expensive for us plus i can't see why he'd want to leave liverpool - he's still their third choice striker and he's bound to still get a few games.