Quentin Tarantino Overated?

wykikitoon

Quentin Tarantino Overated?  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a film entertains in whatever context that comes in, then that's all that matters, surely. Generally Tarantino films entertain so he gets a thumbs up from me. Too many film geeks in this thread tbh ;)

Aye, I hate it when people post an opinion on a subject that is straight out of book :(

Ergo the crux of my argument against tinsle boy.

If people just said they really found his work entertaining I'd go along with it.

But it is all this adding of film theory and the magnifyied of his importance that irritates me.

Why though? Can you not judge him based purely on his films and not what others make of him or don't make of him? What others say or think should be irrelevant.

Why is there even a need to discuss whether he's overrated or not, who cares.

Virign to film threads alert! :D

:razz:

.....cause I display the same fawning of my fav films/dir as the geeks that irritate me. :icon_lol:

I love my films, all kinds of films, but they are just films, you watch them, and that's it. Good to while away two hours or so. Anyway I prefer more productive things to TV and DVD, like posting on message boards :baby:

:razz:

He might be IS overrated but the fact is he's the most important Hollywood director of his generation.

Directors aren't important in Hollywood.

:(

Fuck Off man, Hollywood churns out some very good films by directors with their own stamp.

Tarantino is overrated like the Beatles are. Doesn't mean they aren't awesome.

Look I don't want to crucify his work, for the most part it is highly enjoyable. What I won't stand for is crime scene investigation with film theory books and geeky dribbling. In the cannon of modern cinema he has sealed a position and I like the way he made it from his video store job and I respect him for that. But at the end of the day I don't really find much in his work I can take away.

Post your 100 favourite films again mate, I fancy a laugh. :baby:

You'll get your chance to rape me when I put up me fav films of 2006 rasta. :razz:

The Squid and the Whale was good.

Btw Parkster, did you ever check out 'Lovers of the Arctic Circle' (mentioned it on N-O ages ago). Pure class and reet up your street I reckon. Plus, it gets extra points for being dead obscure ;)

That is in 'your' file along with John Fante. :razz:

Thanks for reminding me......Need to order 15 or 20 dvd's v soon if I am to get through the winter.

If you like it 'Sex and Lucia' by the same director (Basque bloke, his name escapes me) is just as good, if not better. John Fante is class btw (especially the Bandini quartet). If you like Chuck Buk, he'll be just your bag.

He might be IS overrated but the fact is he's the most important Hollywood director of his generation.

Fuck Off man, Hollywood churns out some very good films by directors with their own stamp.

Look I don't want to crucify his work, for the most part it is highly enjoyable. What I won't stand for is crime scene investigation with film theory books and geeky dribbling. In the cannon of modern cinema he has sealed a position and I like the way he made it from his video store job and I respect him for that. But at the end of the day I don't really find much in his work I can take away.

You'll get your chance to rape me when I put up me fav films of 2006 rasta. :razz:

Btw Parkster, did you ever check out 'Lovers of the Arctic Circle' (mentioned it on N-O ages ago). Pure class and reet up your street I reckon. Plus, it gets extra points for being dead obscure ;)

Thanks for reminding me......Need to order 15 or 20 dvd's v soon if I am to get through the winter.

Are you ever going to use your KG membership that I went through hell to get for you - not really - or what!?!

I've got loads of invites now, like, if anyone's interested?

Oi Park Hampers!!

Have you watched Element of Crime yet?

In fact has anyone, Alex, Nicos,......etc?

If not, pull your fingers out and get it watched, you won't regret it.

No, but I will now. Cheers.

Oi Park Hampers!!

It's in my rental Q.

Did you hear Von Trier has written an auto biographical script for someone else to shoot?

Are you ever going to use your KG membership that I went through hell to get for you - not really - or what!?!

I've got loads of invites now, like, if anyone's interested?

Getting a new pc in Feb with a mahoosive hard drive...Then it will be game on Indi. You are aware I was very grateful for your efforts earlier this year...Yes?

Getting a new pc in Feb with a mahoosive hard drive...Then it will be game on Indi. You are aware I was very grateful for your efforts earlier this year...Yes?

Nice one.

Yeah, I know, I'm just teasing. :baby:

Oi Park Hampers!!

It's in my rental Q.

Did you hear Von Trier has written an auto biographical script for someone else to shoot?

I didn't, but that's interesting, I wonder who'll get the chance?

I'd quite like to see him do it himself, it'd be interesting to see what he'd do with it, is it a straight autobiography or has he embellished it in any way, do you know?

Oi Park Hampers!!

It's in my rental Q.

I'd quite like to see him do it himself, it'd be interesting to see what he'd do with it, is it a straight autobiography or has he embellished it in any way, do you know?

It's called Erik Nietzsche - de unge år (Erik Nietzsche - the young years)

Erik Nietzsche is a fictional character but has been credited as the writer....actually Von Trier.

Jacob Thuesen will direct.

Erik Nietzsche is an intelligent but in many ways inexperienced shy young man who is convinced that he wants to be a film director. In the late 1970s Erik is accepted by the Danish National Film School where he enters a world of angry unhelpful tutors, weird fellow students and unwritten rules. It is both an exhilarating and angst-provoking period and Erik feels increasingly like a foreigner in the film industry. Frequently, he is merely an observer of the absurdities that surround him. He encounters trade union disputes, falls in love and experiences self–assured empowered women who refuse to make a commitment. It is a comedy full of drama - a sharp portrait of a conceited but entertaining world of film which we suspect our dogged young director will eventually concur with his vision.

http://www.dfi.dk/english/Danish+films/Fea...tm?FilmID=17694

Oi Park Hampers!!

It's in my rental Q.

It's called Erik Nietzsche - de unge år (Erik Nietzsche - the young years)

Erik Nietzsche is a fictional character but has been credited as the writer....actually Von Trier.

Jacob Thuesen will direct.

Erik Nietzsche is an intelligent but in many ways inexperienced shy young man who is convinced that he wants to be a film director. In the late 1970s Erik is accepted by the Danish National Film School where he enters a world of angry unhelpful tutors, weird fellow students and unwritten rules. It is both an exhilarating and angst-provoking period and Erik feels increasingly like a foreigner in the film industry. Frequently, he is merely an observer of the absurdities that surround him. He encounters trade union disputes, falls in love and experiences self–assured empowered women who refuse to make a commitment. It is a comedy full of drama - a sharp portrait of a conceited but entertaining world of film which we suspect our dogged young director will eventually concur with his vision.

http://www.dfi.dk/english/Danish+films/Fea...tm?FilmID=17694

:baby: typical.

Cheers, I'll be looking forward to that, sounds good.

Edited by indigo

Speaking of Lars, has anyone seen Von Triers 100 Eyes?

Is it just an extra on the Dancer in the Dark DVD? Can't remember seeing it like.

Not sure, here's the description from KG:

Lars Von Trier and the making of Dancer in the Dark – or rather, vice versa. Audiences expecting a standard ‘behind the scenes’ documentary expose, look elsewhere : star Bjork, is never seen apart from in finished-movie footage – an end title informs us that "Bjork did not wish to comment in this film".

The countless infuriating gaps include any explanation for her mysterious Stephen Fry-style "holiday" from the shoot - though we do see what’s left of a dress after she’s "bitten it into tiny pieces". The most amusing moment comes when Von Trier mulls on ways to get over the absence of his vital star, and ponders the possibility of filming empty sets and somehow inserting a digital Bjork "by technological means". As for the real technology employed, there’s also frustrating little on the actual "100 eyes" themselves, the array of cheap DV cameras Von Trier placed all over his set in order to free himself from the slavery of actually "composing" each shot. The moments when we see the output from nine of the cameras, filling the screen and giving Dancer a cubist remix, are intriguing but all-too-brief.

Instead, the film mostly consists of valium-popping Lars detailing his preoccupations and his what-the-hell techniques in inimitable idiot-savant style, amply rewarding admirers who felt short-changed by his fleeting contribution to De Udstillede (The Exhibited, a documentary on one of his conceptual-art projects). Time and again Von Trier touches on some fascinating aspect of the film – that Catherine Deneuve’s role was originally written as a 35-year-old black woman ; his relationship with Bjork was "like a marriage", but too often we're told things without being shown them, without being allowed to form our own conclusions.

Von Trier has always seemed to attract the most unquestioning of hero-worshippers, and from this evidence Katia Forbert Petersen is one such acolyte – not only does she never challenge anything he says, she gives her film a title which explicitly links him with German cinema’s legendary ueber-villain character Dr Mabuse, an omniscient, almost omnipotent megalomaniac (who, according to the title of one of his films, had "1000 Eyes", i.e. surveillance cameras).

But this approach makes the fundamental error of taking Von Trier too seriously. With his love of "random effects", larkish "games" and relentless freewheeling, he may not even be a "director" as we’ve come to know the term. He’ll try anything rather than face the terrible day when he has to actually grow up – in the film’s most plausible "confession", he praises cinema as a way to stay within the control-freak realm of childhood, and making Dancer seems to bring him closer than ever to a relatively adult state of mind. Von Trier is more ueber-prankster than anything else, and, if anything, 100 Eyes confirms his status as our leading cinematic bullshit-artist. But, as Dancer shows, bullshit artists are still artists, and thus capable of great masterpieces.

I respect Tarantino, but he's really only made one masterpiece, in my opinion. And his work is highly derivative.

So I guess my answer would be yes, he is overrated.

which one?

If people just said they really found his work entertaining I'd go along with it.

But it is all this adding of film theory and the magnifyied of his importance that irritates me.

Who was more important to mainstream cinema in the 90's?

With just 2 of his films as director he was the dominant force of the decade like Spielberg was of the 70's and Hitchcock the 50's.

Why is there even a need to discuss whether he's overrated or not, who cares - THEY ARE JUST FILMS MAN! :blink:

You could say the same about football tbh.

Football is real.

It's an entertainment, just like film.

Why is there even a need to discuss whether he's overrated or not, who cares - THEY ARE JUST FILMS MAN! :blink:

Football is real.

But unlike a film, not make believe. Football isn't entertainment either, it has far more meaning than mere entertainment. A cinema will never ever be able to produce an atmosphere like a stadium or a film the sheer emotion and feeling the game draws from "punters". I like my films but that's all they are, films to either be enjoyed or not.

Why is there even a need to discuss whether he's overrated or not, who cares - THEY ARE JUST FILMS MAN! :angry:

Football is real.

But unlike a film, not make believe. Football isn't entertainment either, it has far more meaning than mere entertainment. A cinema will never ever be able to produce an atmosphere like a stadium or a film the sheer emotion and feeling the game draws from "punters". I like my films but that's all they are, films to either be enjoyed or not.

You don't half talk some shite. :blink: