Quentin Tarantino Overated?

wykikitoon

Quentin Tarantino Overated?  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From The New Yorker

"In this Quentin Tarantino fantasy pastiche of samurai and martial-arts films, the trunk of a body, its head lopped off, will spurt blood like a fountain. We know that the non-stop violence is not meant to be real: for starters, the blood looks like cranberry juice. Yet Tarantino is working in a photographic medium, and the real-world associations are not so easy to shrug off. Tarantino's heroine, Uma Thurman, kills another female warrior in front of the woman's little girl, and the child doesn't react. Tarantino wants the shock of a mother killed in front of her daughter without the audience undergoing any discomfort at all. The movie is what's formally known as decadence and commonly known as crap. Saying that it's an homage to long-established genres in Hong Kong doesn't reduce its pop-nihilistic stupidity. Some of the sequences have a scintillating visual flair, but you come out feeling nothing at all. And this is only the first half. -David Denby "

The New Yorker

That sums it up for me.

I quite liked it, although I agree with a lot of that summary.

Watched both Kill Bill's recently again and think they are superb. Tbh I couldn't give a shit if people think he's overated. His films deliver what you expect them to and I find them immensely enjoyable. If other people don't then fine, don't bother watching them.

From The New Yorker

"In this Quentin Tarantino fantasy pastiche of samurai and martial-arts films, the trunk of a body, its head lopped off, will spurt blood like a fountain. We know that the non-stop violence is not meant to be real: for starters, the blood looks like cranberry juice. Yet Tarantino is working in a photographic medium, and the real-world associations are not so easy to shrug off. Tarantino's heroine, Uma Thurman, kills another female warrior in front of the woman's little girl, and the child doesn't react. Tarantino wants the shock of a mother killed in front of her daughter without the audience undergoing any discomfort at all. The movie is what's formally known as decadence and commonly known as crap. Saying that it's an homage to long-established genres in Hong Kong doesn't reduce its pop-nihilistic stupidity. Some of the sequences have a scintillating visual flair, but you come out feeling nothing at all. And this is only the first half. -David Denby "

The New Yorker

That sums it up for me.

Calling the film "crap" isn't really well-balanced though, is it? Film reviews are as pointless as music reviews, everyone has different tastes it seems.

Edited by Renton

An excellent article.

Overrated tbh.

That is the word.

I am ambivalent about Tinsle boy these days.

I meant the article. Lame-joke-tastic.

From The New Yorker

The New Yorker

That sums it up for me.

Calling the film "crap" isn't really well-balanced though, is it? Fi, reviews are as pointless as music reviews, everyone has different tastes it seems.

That's what I didn't agree with tbh and it's a lot more interesting than most of the shite that comes out.

Watched both Kill Bill's recently again and think they are superb. Tbh I couldn't give a shit if people think he's overated. His films deliver what you expect them to and I find them immensely enjoyable. If other people don't then fine, don't bother watching them.

Watched them for the first time recently, and I agree, although I think the first one spanks the second. For me he could have condensed a bit and got them into one film but they are great.

As for his other efforts, I like Jackie Brown a lot and Pulp Fiction is awesome, could watch it any time. But Resevoir Dogs is probably my favourite film of all time.

Watched them for the first time recently, and I agree, although I think the first one spanks the second. For me he could have condensed a bit and got them into one film but they are great.

As for his other efforts, I like Jackie Brown a lot and Pulp Fiction is awesome, could watch it any time. But Resevoir Dogs is probably my favourite film of all time.

Agree with that. He comes up with the reasons for the split in the making of Kill Bill on the DVD, but I am not convinced it wasn't about $$$$$$$. With clever editing it could have been reduced to less than 3 hours easily.

Reservoir Dogs would make a superb theatre play. I bet HF is mortified by that prospect. :baby:

Agree with that. He comes up with the reasons for the split in the making of Kill Bill on the DVD, but I am not convinced it wasn't about $$$$$$$. With clever editing it could have been reduced to less than 3 hours easily.

Reservoir Dogs would make a superb theatre play. I bet HF is mortified by that prospect. :baby:

Good idea. And give it a Beckettian twist. ;)

He might be IS overrated but the fact is he's the most important Hollywood director of his generation.

Directors aren't important in Hollywood.

:baby:

Fuck Off man, Hollywood churns out some very good films by directors with their own stamp.

Tarantino is overrated like the Beatles are. Doesn't mean they aren't awesome.

He might be IS overrated but the fact is he's the most important Hollywood director of his generation.

Fuck Off man, Hollywood churns out some very good films by directors with their own stamp.

Look I don't want to crucify his work, for the most part it is highly enjoyable. What I won't stand for is crime scene investigation with film theory books and geeky dribbling. In the cannon of modern cinema he has sealed a position and I like the way he made it from his video store job and I respect him for that. But at the end of the day I don't really find much in his work I can take away.

Name me even 3 directors who's involvement alone can green light a movie?

;)

Look I don't want to crucify his work, for the most part it is highly enjoyable. What I won't stand for is crime scene investigation with film theory books and geeky dribbling. In the cannon of modern cinema he has sealed a position and I like the way he made it from his video store job and I respect him for that. But at the end of the day I don't really find much in his work I can take away.

Post your 100 favourite films again mate, I fancy a laugh. :baby:

;)

Spielberg

Tarantino

Soderbergh

;)

Post your 100 favourite films again mate, I fancy a laugh. :baby:

No 'Tremors' anywhere to be seen :razz:

;)

Spielberg

Tarantino

Soderbergh

I'd only agree with the top one fully. :razz:

The other two probably.....

Edited by Parky

;)

Spielberg

Tarantino

Soderbergh

I'd only agree with the top one. :razz:

Howay man Parky, Tarantino just has to be mates with someone making a film for it to get the green light.

;)

Spielberg

Tarantino

Soderbergh

Howay man Parky, Tarantino just has to be mates with someone making a film for it to get the green light.

Only if it has a miniscule budget.

;)

Spielberg

Tarantino

Soderbergh

SODERBERGH

Life Interrupted (2007) (in production)

The Argentine (2008) (pre-production)

Guerrilla (2008) (pre-production)

Ocean's Thirteen (2007) (post-production)

... aka 13 (USA: promotional abbreviation)

The Good German (2006) Looking forward to this.

[/b]Bubble (2005/I)

"Unscripted" (2005) TV Series (pilot)

Ocean's Twelve (2004) [/i]CACK

Eros (2004) (segment "Equilibrium")

... aka Eros (France)

"K Street" (2003) TV Series

Solaris (2002) V. DISSAPOINTED THAT I WAS JUST A FAX OF THE ORIGINAL.

Full Frontal (2002)

Ocean's Eleven (2001)

... aka 11 (USA: promotional abbreviation)

... aka O11 (USA: informal short title)

Traffic (2000) EXCELLENT

... aka Traffic - Die Macht des Kartells (Germany)

Erin Brockovich (2000)

The Limey (1999)

On the whole Soderbergh I'm v keen on and there is a rich vein of layering in his work.

Edited by Parky

;)

Spielberg

Tarantino

Soderbergh

What about Peter Jackson and James Cameron then? Or George Lucas? Or Clint Eastwood?

Anyway, what's your point?