Quentin Tarantino Overated?

wykikitoon

Quentin Tarantino Overated?  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

But unlike a film, not make believe. Football isn't entertainment either, it has far more meaning than mere entertainment. A cinema will never ever be able to produce an atmosphere like a stadium or a film the sheer emotion and feeling the game draws from "punters". I like my films but that's all they are, films to either be enjoyed or not.

How does football have any more meaning than pure entertainment? It's a diversion for the working classes who can't afford the theatre.

You're saying it's not worth discussing because it's not real, how has that got anything to do with it. Tarantino's talent and ability to satisfy the viewer (or lack of it) is just as debateble as Scott Parker's.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But unlike a film, not make believe. Football isn't entertainment either, it has far more meaning than mere entertainment. A cinema will never ever be able to produce an atmosphere like a stadium or a film the sheer emotion and feeling the game draws from "punters". I like my films but that's all they are, films to either be enjoyed or not.

How does football have any more meaning than pure entertainment? It's a diversion for the working classes who can't afford the theatre.

You're saying it's not worth discussing because it's not real, how has that got anything to do with it. Tarantino's talent and ability to satisfy the viewer (or lack of it) is just as debateble as Scott Parker's.

Oh howay man, you know full well it has more meaning than pure entertainment. I'll agree to disagree with you regarding films though :rolleyes:

I know you love your films, and quite rightly but you can't seriously be trying to say football doesn't have more meaning to people that films!!!

I would never travel the length of the country and back for an important film, i wouldn't pay to see a film every other week regardless of who was in it/directed it, i wouldn't be utterly depressed if a big film turned out to be shite and if my favourite film lost out on the oscar to a film from Sunderland!!!

I could keep stretching the metaphor (albeit badly!) but the fact remains football is as has been said before, almost a matter of life and death to some people, films aren't.

Also do you really think football is cheaper than the theatre these days? And you're making quite a strange statement to think people only go to football because they can't afford the theatre!!! I mean St. James' is hardly full of people going: "God i wish i was at the theatre Royal watching Romeo and Juliet instead of this shite!"

I know you love your films, and quite rightly but you can't seriously be trying to say football doesn't have more meaning to people that films!!!

I would never travel the length of the country and back for an important film, i wouldn't pay to see a film every other week regardless of who was in it/directed it, i wouldn't be utterly depressed if a big film turned out to be shite and if my favourite film lost out on the oscar to a film from Sunderland!!!

I could keep stretching the metaphor (albeit badly!) but the fact remains football is as has been said before, almost a matter of life and death to some people, films aren't.

Many people travel great distances to catch limited release films, classics and rarities. They'll watch anything and everything by a director or star and people were more than a little depressed when George Lucas started fucking with their childhood memories. Just because you or I aren't like that, doesn't mean other people can't get more out of film than football.

Also do you really think football is cheaper than the theatre these days? And you're making quite a strange statement to think people only go to football because they can't afford the theatre!!! I mean St. James' is hardly full of people going: "God i wish i was at the theatre Royal watching Romeo and Juliet instead of this shite!"

I was flipantly talking about originally. :rolleyes:

Many people travel great distances to catch limited release films, classics and rarities. They'll watch anything and everything by a director or star and people were more than a little depressed when George Lucas started fucking with their childhood memories. Just because you or I aren't like that, doesn't mean other people can't get more out of film than football.

I don't think there's thousands of people every week and also midweek travelling to see rare films though! Also i doubt the canne film festival quite matches the attendace figures and worldwide audience of the world cup! :rolleyes:

Also those that have a massive problem with Lucas either stopped watching the star wars films, or ignore those 3 as if they didn't happen! And will probably avoid what he does in future. If our chairman or manager completely fucks up over we still keep going and going to watch shite as NUFC means far more to us than films fo to a bunch of geeks :blink: and we could never let it go!

But i do agree there are some people who don't like football who get far more from films.

Bet a few do, including Renton.

I don't think there's thousands of people every week and also midweek travelling to see rare films though! Also i doubt the canne film festival quite matches the attendace figures and worldwide audience of the world cup! :rolleyes:

Everone knows that a billion people watch the Oscars. The World Cup Final only attracts 600million. :blink:

Also those that have a massive problem with Lucas either stopped watching the star wars films, or ignore those 3 as if they didn't happen! And will probably avoid what he does in future. If our chairman or manager completely fucks up over we still keep going and going to watch shite as NUFC means far more to us than films fo to a bunch of geeks :blink: and we could never let it go!

Star Wars geeks will keep going back to anything related to it tbh. Lucas could piss on their shoes and they'd still go to watch episode 7 if it ever happened.

But i do agree there are some people who don't like football who get far more from films.

And I see what you're saying. At least in the UK, there are far more people passionate about football than are comaparably passionate about film. HTT was just talking crap by suggesting a directors talent wasn't an important enough issue to warrant a thread.

Everone knows that a billion people watch the Oscars. The World Cup Final only attracts 600million. :blink:

Star Wars geeks will keep going back to anything related to it tbh. Lucas could piss on their shoes and they'd still go to watch episode 7 if it ever happened.

And I see what you're saying. At least in the UK, there are far more people passionate about football than are comaparably passionate about film. HTT was just talking crap by suggesting a directors talent wasn't an important enough issue to warrant a thread.

I'm sure episode 7 will happen when Lucas' fortune dips below the dangerous 1 billion level, and i'm sure it'll be as bad if not worse than the recent ones!

And i agree with you about directors importance, they're far and away the most important person on a film, change director and you get a completely different film.

HTT was just talking crap by suggesting a directors talent wasn't an important enough issue to warrant a thread.

I could equally say you're talking crap regarding your opinion that football is just another form of entertainment HF, anyway this isn't going anywhere and I'm not wanting to get tied down in a debate about films vs football but you are right, I just don't see the point in discussing whether a film director is overrated or not because I don't think it matters to anyone or anything - but that's just me, you obviously see it differently so fair enough. I'll leave the thread now and leave you geeks to it. :rolleyes:

HTT was just talking crap by suggesting a directors talent wasn't an important enough issue to warrant a thread.

I could equally say you're talking crap regarding your opinion that football is just another form of entertainment HF, anyway this isn't going anywhere and I'm not wanting to get tied down in a debate about films vs football but you are right, I just don't see the point in discussing whether a film director is overrated or not because I don't think it matters to anyone or anything - but that's just me, you obviously see it differently so fair enough. I'll leave the thread now and leave you geeks to it. :rolleyes:

Geeks? At least I haven't set up a website and written vast tomes about my little hobby. Nerdlinger. :blink:

Geeks? At least I haven't set up a website and written vast tomes about my little hobby. Nerdlinger. :blink:

'Tomes' lovely word. :blink:

I could equally say you're talking crap regarding your opinion that football is just another form of entertainment HF, anyway this isn't going anywhere and I'm not wanting to get tied down in a debate about films vs football but you are right, I just don't see the point in discussing whether a film director is overrated or not because I don't think it matters to anyone or anything - but that's just me, you obviously see it differently so fair enough. I'll leave the thread now and leave you geeks to it. :blink:

:rolleyes:

Touché

• 1 year later...

Miramax have finally bought the completed script for Inglorious Basterds this week.

About time too, given it's ten year gestation it should be as near to perfection as Taranteeny can get, I fear it might be a case of Chinese Democracy though.

09_inglouriousbastards2_lgl.jpg

We’ve Got Quentin Tarantino’s ‘Inglorious Bastards’ Script

…and it is exactly as batshit over-the-top insane as we hoped.

The copy we acquired includes a handwritten cover page which we think might actually be in Tarantino's handwriting, reading, "INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS." This misspelling of "bastards" continues through the screenplay, suggesting we were right when we guessed Tarantino was writing really, really fast. He doesn't even have time to spell-check if he's gonna get this movie turned around by Cannes!

The script is 165 pages long and follows a squad of American soldiers called the Bastards — a guerrillalike force who travel behind German lines in 1944, striking terror into the hearts of Nazi soldiers. The Bastards are headed by Lieutenant Aldo Raine — the role we'd imagine Tarantino is hoping to land Brad Pitt for — described by the script as a "hillbilly from the mountains of Tennessee," who has around his neck a scar from where he survived a lynching. ("The scar will never once be mentioned," Tarantino writes.) In a parallel story, Inglorious Bastards follows a French Jewish teenager named Shosanna who survives the massacre of her family and flees to Paris, where she winds up running a movie house during the Nazi occupation.

The Bastards' and Shosanna's stories intersect when a gala premiere of a Goebbels-produced propaganda film is put on in Shosanna's theater, with Hitler and most of the German High Command scheduled to attend. Both the Bastards and Shosanna launch plots intending to end the war a little earlier than anyone expected.

The script's divided into five chapters:

Chapter One: Once Upon a Time … Nazi Occupied France

Chapter Two: Inglorious Basterds

Chapter Three: German Night in Paris

Chapter Four: Operation Kino

Chapter Five: Revenge of the Giant Face

The first chapter, set in 1941, introduces Shosanna and the film's antagonist, a Nazi officer named Landa who's known as the "Jew Hunter." The second chapter introduces the Bastards and their tactics: They kill Nazis on sight, take their scalps, and — when they let one go — carve a swastika into his forehead. The third chapter, set in 1944, reintroduces Shosanna in Paris ("This whole Chapter will be filmed in French New Wave Black and White"). The fourth sets up the Bastards' attack on the theater. And it all comes together in Chapter Five, which plays fast and loose with history, to say the least.

The script is definitely the ur-text of Quentin Tarantino's career up to now; it combines his love of old movies (war movies, Westerns, and even prewar German cinema), his attraction to powerful female protagonists, his love of chatter, and his willingness to embrace the extreme — visually and in his storytelling. (The flashbacks have particularly Tarantinoian flourishes: a thought bubble pops out of a character's head to introduce one, while another is shot spaghetti Western style.) All in all, it reads like Kill Bill meets The Dirty Dozen meets Cinema Paradiso.

We wondered at times if this script was a fake, and it's still possible that it is — but if so, it's such a skillful fake that the author has even mastered Tarantino's ability to write moments that seem almost like parodies of his own tastes. Such as, for example, our favorite moment in the screenplay, with a mix of fetishism and inspired comedy that feels authentically alive. Late in chapter four, the Nazis are preparing Shosanna's movie theater for its big premiere, and Goebbels tells her that he appreciates "the modesty of this auditorium." Then he suggests sprucing the place up a bit, with a chandelier from Versailles and a couple of Greek nudes from the Louvre scattered around the lobby. A quick montage shows this happening, and then Tarantino describes the result:

We see Workers trying with incredible difficulty, to hoist the huge, heavy, and twinkingly fragile chandelier, in Shosannas auditorium, which now resembles something out of one of Tinto Brass's Italian B-movie rip-off's of Visconti's "The Damned".

Download the script yourself here...

http://www.nightly.net/movies/download-que...astards-script/

i'm not sure tarantino will be remembered as a great director - we'll see in twenty years.

his films are incredible entertaining and interesting - but entirely on the most superficial levels - but this is carefully hidden by relentless gags, inventive (yet derivative although this isn't a valid criticism hence in brackets) set ups and strong dialogue. in other words. they're total kitsch.

but I can't help but feel his films skirt, rather than explore, the most important human issues - love, survival, identity.

that being said, his films are polar opposite style wise to my favourite directors and I still enjoy them so he must be doing something right.

Just read the opening scene. Brought to mind the opening of Once Upon A Time In The West. He's already managed to get some barefeet on screen too :icon_lol:

Not what I expected though, suggests a holocaust movie, not the Dirty Dozen actioneer I thought he'd written. Wonder how he'll be able to inject his black humour and comic violence into such a touchy subject.

I steal from every single movie ever made. If people don't like that, then tough tills, don't go and see it, all right? I steal from everything. Great artists steal, they don't do homages. :icon_lol:

I steal from every single movie ever made. If people don't like that, then tough tills, don't go and see it, all right? I steal from everything. Great artists steal, they don't do homages. :icon_lol:

there are lots of these quotes

picasso - 'good artists take, great artists steal'

godard - 'it's not where you take things from it's where you take them to'

etc. etc etc.

there are lots of these quotes

picasso - 'good artists take, great artists steal'

godard - 'it's not where you take things from it's where you take them to'

etc. etc etc.

The point is he doesn't just steal he practically copies whole movies.

Oi Park Hampers!!

Have you watched Element of Crime yet?

In fact has anyone, Alex, Nicos,......etc?

If not, pull your fingers out and get it watched, you won't regret it.

Just finished watching it.

Absoloutley craptacular I'm afraid.

Shades of The Third Man, Bladerunner and Brazil (none of which I'm particularly keen on) almost entirely in sepia and completely unfathomable. I normally don't mind unfathomability because I'll watch those films over and over and keep taking something else from it. Can't imagine ever giving this another chance though as it dragged interminably with no redeeming features apart from the nice rack on show about an hour in.