Quentin Tarantino Overated?

wykikitoon

Quentin Tarantino Overated?  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Pulp Fiction is a work of total genius, I thought Reservoir Dogs was over rated and Kill Bill was ok, but everything else I've seen of his I've disliked.

Reservoir Dogs is my fave film of all time, Pulp Fiction wasnt as good imho but I do think it was a genius of a film, the way it jumps between stories and across time.

Kill Bill 1 & 2 were both class, Killing Zoe was good also, I honestly dont think Ive seen a film of his that I thought "that was average". The use of music is (again in my opinion) one of his big big strongpoints.

Even his acting parts have been good, Dusk til Dawn, his bit part in Reservoir Dogs and Im sure theres more but cant remember.

Plus the CSI episode he directed was a classic.

I think Pulp Fiction is a work of total genius, I thought Reservoir Dogs was over rated and Kill Bill was ok, but everything else I've seen of his I've disliked.

So you mean you didn't like Jackie Brown? ;)

I like his films but I thought the Kill Bills (especially volume 1) were very self indulgent.

Thats right, I thought it was shite tbh.

Thats right, I thought it was shite tbh.

:D

I was alluding to the fact it's the only other film he's directed.

No, but Hostel was disappointing.

Nowt to do with it tbh.

And it was really good tbh.

It was gash and he was heavily involved in it. If it wasn't so silly and cliched that it could actually be believable, then it would've lived up to the hype. It didn't.

Just goes to show that sometimes you just can't polish a dog turd, no matter who you are. Spielburg pops into my head for directing the odd shite film.

tbh.

No, but Hostel was disappointing.

Nowt to do with it tbh.

And it was really good tbh.

It was gash and he was heavily involved in it. If it wasn't so silly and cliched that it could actually be believable, then it would've lived up to the hype. It didn't.

Just goes to show that sometimes you just can't polish a dog turd, no matter who you are. Spielburg pops into my head for directing the odd shite film.

tbh.

It's an Eli Roth film.

Tarantino's his mate and increased it's circulation by agreeing to the posters saying "Quentin Tarantino presents" after He'd done some script doctoring. About as much to do with it's quality as Robert Towne was to do with Godfather's.

Brock, you rate Saw II, but didn't rate Hostel. This is not about opinions, you are mentally retarded. FACT!

Hostel was just an excuse to cram as much sex and gore into a film to see what they could get away with before the MPAA stepped in, whilst at least Saw 2 had a reasonable plot, and was Darren Bousman's directing debut. In light of that last fact, some discrepencies can be overlooked (like they got Adam's chain on the wrong foot ;) ). It's not a perfect film, but as a fan of the franchise I enjoyed it.

Hostel, as a film is average at best.

Brock, you rate Saw II, but didn't rate Hostel. This is not about opinions, you are mentally retarded. FACT!

Hostel was just an excuse to cram as much sex and gore into a film to see what they could get away with before the MPAA stepped in, whilst at least Saw 2 had a reasonable plot, and was Darren Bousman's directing debut. In light of that last fact, some discrepencies can be overlooked (like they got Adam's chain on the wrong foot ;) ). It's not a perfect film, but as a fan of the franchise I enjoyed it.

Hostel, as a film is average at best.

You completely missed the point, this is not surprising. Go back to your believable plot lines of Saw.

I find you far more offensive than the reality of a lads' weekend in Amsterdam. Go figure.

Hostel superbly crammed as much sex and gore into a film that disguised what was actually a rather clever attack at US foreign policy, whilst Saw 2 had quite possibly the most ridiculous plot ever spawned, and shouldn't be allowed an excuse such as being the directors first try, look at what Tarantino did with RD first time around. If your main point of critiquing a film is that they got Adam's chain on the wrong foot it can't be a film with a great deal to recommend it.

Edited by Happy Face

Hostel superbly crammed as much sex and gore into a film that disguised what was actually a rather clever attack at US foreign policy, whilst Saw 2 had quite possibly the most ridiculous plot ever spawned, and shouldn't be allowed an excuse such as being the directors first try, look at what Tarantino did with RD first time around. If your main point of critiquing a film is that they got Adam's chain on the wrong foot it can't be a film with a great deal to recommend it.

Right, this is a serious question. Did I see a different version of this film to everyone else? Can someone give me a brief rundown of all the sex in it?

Anyway, all of it was there for a reason, not a thing I saw was gratuitous (yes, inlcuding some pretty extreme violence).

PS HF - answer my PM, please. ;)

Right, this is a serious question. Did I see a different version of this film to everyone else? Can someone give me a brief rundown of all the sex in it?

Anyway, all of it was there for a reason, not a thing I saw was gratuitous (yes, inlcuding some pretty extreme violence).

I just edited Brock's post tbh. There wasn't enough to satisfy Jimbo, but there was as much as you'd expect in a film about some lads on a trip to get as much hole as they can.

PS - I did but my PC froze, wasn't sure if it was succesful or not. My answer was...I agree with you, though I don't recall where it was pertinent.

I just edited Brock's post tbh. There wasn't enough to satisfy Jimbo, but there was as much as you'd expect in a film about some lads on a trip to get as much hole as they can.

PS - I did but my PC froze, wasn't sure if it was succesful or not. My answer was...I agree with you, though I don't recall where it was pertinent.

I'll stick it here, don't highlight this area if you're intereted in doing the IQ test: -->

Odd one out. Circle, square, rectangle, iscoseles triangle, equilateral triangle. I said the iscosceles because all the others had equal angles contained within. They say circle as it has no straight lines around it's perimeter. Unless the circle is infinite of course, but I guess they didn't think of that... :D <--

In my opinion he is, what about you?

Tell me why he is and I'll tell you why he isn't.

I enjoyed Pulp but thats the only bit of work of his I have enjoyed. Hostel was pants, poor story line and relied on the gore which was mental. Although the birds were mint ;)

Kill Bill again poor story and mental outrageous things going on.

This is IMO and I know quite a few people who think the same. When I heard he was gonna do a couple of CSI episodes I didnt wank like a lot of CSI fans did, I was slighlty dissapointed and as a result I sill havent seen em.

I thought I would get a better opinion about him seen as though the board has a large movie fan base.

I feel I need to see more of his films as I havent seen a lot of his films, so what do hardcore CT fans reccommend?

Tarintino had pretty much fuck all to do with Hostel as he did with Hero, the other film he 'presented'.

Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill Vol. 1 are three of my favourite films of all time. Kill Bill Vol. 2 is okay but nothing special and Jackie Brown just leaves me cold.

I didn't really like Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. Saw them both after they were both hyped up by people I know to be utterly amazing films, and was let down tbh. Maybe if i'd watched them without any hype i'd have enjoyed them more, but I finished watching them thinking 'is that it?'.

The thing is, if you spot Tarantino's copies/references it makes those parts of his films even more enjoyable. The bitter people are the ones who didn't have a clue in the first place and feel dirty that they got 'cheated'.

Were the films he 'plagiarised' cinematic greats that lift his level of direction/writing? No, they were barely seen trash. He polishes a shit into a diamond and people call him a hack.

It's jealousy to be honest. All those angry film freaks who never picked up a camera themselves.

Reservoir Dogs (a shallow film about a failed heist and only that) offers less with each viewing, but at the time it grabbed your gullet and throttled you for 90 minutes, it was unbelievably fresh. I can't think of a better heist movie in the 10 years before it, heck Goodfellas was the only crime film of any kind to top it in that period.

For me, Pulp Fiction stands up to repeated viewings more than any other film. Can't back it up with why, because its detractors just won't agree, but I love it. It's totally spiritual, lessons of repentance and the rewards it reaps as opposed to the punishment doled out to those that choose to sin. But at the same time it's one of the funniest films made, pitch black humour you can belly laugh at without the discomfort you feel laughing at Todd Solondz.

Jackie Brown, I wasn't so much a fan of.

Kill Bill Vol 1 was hugely enjoyable, I grinned throughout. I can't believe anyone would look at the House of Blue leaves fight and not applaud it. How much of it is down to Tarantino I'm not sure (did Woo-Ping Yuen do any directing?), but apart from the action itself, the perfect fusion of music to the action was the best thing about it (the full colour Japanese version is well worth finding). Kill Bill Vol 2 had me looking at my watch, it seemed painfully stretched to get another film out of what they had, reiterating everything we learned in vol 1 for no reason. I think he was hoping Kill Bill would be to its inspirations what Reservoir Dogs was to The Asphalt Jungle. In vol 1 I think he succeeded, in vol 2 I think he failed.

Is he overrated? I think you have to base that on critical reception rather than popular opinion and you have to say his films have had mixed reviews, only the first 2 being almost unanimously praised.