Rossi set for Mackems switch

Jimbo

Keano ready for Rossi raid

By NEIL CUSTIS

December 29, 2006

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

MANCHESTER UNITED superkid Giuseppe Rossi is set for a shock loan switch from Newcastle to Sunderland.

Old Trafford boss Alex Ferguson is unhappy at the 21-year-old striker’s lack of first-team chances at Toon.

So Fergie is recalling the Italy Under-21 star from St James’ Park — and then letting him join Newcastle’s North-East rivals, who are managed by his old skipper Roy Keane.

Rossi has started only five games — three Premiership and two Carling Cup ties — since joining Glenn Roeder’s Magpies last August.

His only goal was in the 3-0 League Cup win over Portsmouth in October.

Keane has already been in touch with his old boss with the promise of games for Rossi.

And Keane will also try to persuade Fergie to let him borrow centre-back Jonny Evans, who is already a Northern Ireland cap at 19.

Reds right-back Phil Bardsley, 21, whose loan at Rangers was cut short after a bust-up, is already set for a loan move to Sunderland.

Ferguson is ready to allow the Rossi move to go through because his squad has been buoyed by the arrival of striker Henrik Larsson on loan from Swedish club Helsingborg.

Larsson, 35, will be available in the New Year and has already impressed in training. He retired from top-flight football at the end of last season when he left Barcelona to see out his career at his home-town club.

But Ferguson has taken the one-time Celtic and Sweden star on loan until the end of March and cannot wait to have Larsson available as he aims to utilise his squad after a busy holiday programme.

Lets hope he does for them what he's done for us - fuck all.

Wasn't given the chance. A blind man on a galloping horse could see he's going to be a cracking player in the right situation.

Anyone who thinks otherwise needs culled/a lobotomy.

Wasn't given the chance. A blind man on a galloping horse could see he's going to be a cracking player in the right situation.

Love your avatar - Trigger Happy TV?

My Man U supporting mate (the shame of it) has been raving about Rossi for ages.

We sign a kid on loan in a move that not many understood. Most of us thought he'd either be a hit and therefore hot-footing it back to Man Utd ASAP given their striker situation or that he'd flop meaning that we wouldn't persue him.

Not many thought we'd sign him and hardly ever play him - can't understand it at all - we're paying his wages and I presume there's fees for the administration of the loan transfer to be taken into account?

Kid never got a chance - I reckon he'll be awesome in the Championship and probably put the Mackems in with a strong bid for promotion.

Perhaps Rossi has not impressed in training, with the injury's we've had, if he'd have looked anything special he'd have been given his chance.

*draws pecked line on forehead with 'cut here' written next to it*

In my defence, oh wise one :calmdown:, I haven't seen a lot of him, but he strikes me as too lightweight. Aaaand, I hope, on this occasion that I'm proved right - for obvious reasons!!! :blink:

The right situation being The Championship presumably :calmdown:

I think his cause wasn't helped by not being able to play in the UEFA - and the way Sib turned out compounded that.

Maybe he paid the price for Sheff Utd (dunno if that was fair - I was on holiday and missed that).

It's hardly surprising Rossi hasn't got more games. At the end of the day he's a forward but not a 'striker'. I couldn't really see Rossi and Martins playing together and seeing as you paid 10 mill for one and the other was a 4/5 month loan signing, how can anyone be surprised he hasn't played more!

If Martins had picked up a long term injury or instead of signing Martins you'd signed a 'Crouch' type player then I'm sure Rossi would have got more games.

Rossi has the same problem if he remains at Old Trafford, I couldn't see him and Rooney in the same team and there will only be one winner of that battle. The lad needs to get himself in the shop window so needs to think carefully about where he goes next.

Black Cats rule out Rossi move

By Tom Adams - Created on 29 Dec 2006

Sunderland boss Roy Keane has ruled out a loan move for Manchester United's Giuseppe Rossi, but the former Red Devil is confident that Jonny Evans will join Phil Bardsley in moving from Old Trafford.

Italian Under 21 international Rossi has been linked with an immediate return to the North East when his loan spell with Newcastle expires after Saturday's game against Everton.

However Keane has stated he has no plans to bring the young forward to The Stadium of Light in January.

"The name Rossi keeps coming up and I keep ruling it out," Keane told the Sunderland Echo. "I'm happy to do so again."

However, Keane has revealed that he is on the verge of borrowing 19-year-old Northern Ireland international Evans from his former boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

Evans has impressed with United's feeder club Royal Antwerp this season, and is likely to be joined on Wearside by Bardsley after the defender had his own loan deal with Rangers cut short following a falling out with Paul Le Guen.

"Jonny Evans looks as though he's definitely coming here. I would say that's a done deal and I'm delighted about that," Keane added.

"I think he's going to be a top player for Manchester United and it's great for us that we could have someone of his potential joining us.

"Phil Bardsley looks as though he could be on his way too.

"He's been up to see me and have a look at the club and that one could happen over the next few days."

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=4...+out+Rossi+move

It's hardly surprising Rossi hasn't got more games. At the end of the day he's a forward but not a 'striker'. I couldn't really see Rossi and Martins playing together and seeing as you paid 10 mill for one and the other was a 4/5 month loan signing, how can anyone be surprised he hasn't played more!

I see your point there but given the fact that Roeder claims that Martins was "the only striker he wanted to sign all summer" and that both he and Shepherd claim that the loan signing of Rossi was planned and NOT a 'panic signing' surely that only serves to confirm how shit our transfer planning last summer truly was?

Either that or certain people at the club have been lying to us.......surely not? <_<

I see your point there but given the fact that Roeder claims that Martins was "the only striker he wanted to sign all summer" and that both he and Shepherd claim that the loan signing of Rossi was planned and NOT a 'panic signing' surely that only serves to confirm how shit our transfer planning last summer truly was?

Either that or certain people at the club have been lying to us.......surely not? <_<

Not really sure it was shit planning really, Craig.

With Owen & Dyer both out at the start of the season you didn't really have any cover for Martins (or Ameobi for that matter but that's a different story). If Martins had picked up a bad injury you would have really been in the shit. Seems to me that Roeder got a little 'insurance' on the cheap.

Not really sure it was shit planning really, Craig.

With Owen & Dyer both out at the start of the season you didn't really have any cover for Martins (or Ameobi for that matter but that's a different story). If Martins had picked up a bad injury you would have really been in the shit. Seems to me that Roeder got a little 'insurance' on the cheap.

Hmm - I'm not so sure. We knew for most of the summer that we would be without Dyer & Owen for the start of the season and anyone who had their heads screwed on knew Ameobi wasn't right and that it was only a matter of time before surgery was necessary.

How it seems to me is that Roeder was persuing many targets all summer (it's known he had a bid for Gudjohnsen accepted) and that Martins was the player who didn't say know. The club claim otherwise and state that Martins was their target all along and when certain quarters questioned the loan signing of a Man Utd reserve as the second striker signing, the club announced that they didn't panic in signing Rossi, it was planned all along - if that's the case then in my mind it is very poor planning.

• 3 weeks later...

Man Utd's Rossi strikes for Parma

Rossi spent the first half of the season on loan at Newcastle

Manchester United striker Giuseppe Rossi had an immediate impact in his first game on loan at Parma by scoring in the 1-0 win over Torino.

Rossi, 19, struck in the 75th minute for Parma - the club United bought him from in July 2004.

The win moved Parma up a place to 18th - the final relegation spot.

Meanwhile, leaders Inter Milan clinched a 3-1 win over Fiorentina to extend their record of successive victories in Serie A to 13.

Giuseppe Rossi's agent has claimed that Barcelona - along with a number of other top European clubs - are showing a keen interest in the Manchester United youngster.

The Italian Under 21 international failed to shine at Newcastle during the first half of the season, but scored on his Parma debut on Sunday after moving to Serie A on loan to underline his credentials as a talented prospect.

Rossi is highly-rated within the halls of Old Trafford but now Sir Alex Ferguson's plans to make the New Jersey-born striker a key figure in his future plans could be under threat following the news that Internazionale, Milan, Juventus and Roma have all enquired about his availability.

Agent Andrea Pastorello has revealed that United knocked back an offer for the forward in the summer, as well as confirming that European Champions Barcelona are keen admirers of the player who had been linked with a further loan move to Sunderland.

"We have had contact with Barcelona," Pastorello is quoted in the Guardian.

"But I repeat that it will not be easy to take him away from Manchester United.

"They've already said no to £4.2million, which is no small fee by today's standards.

"They have great faith in Giuseppe and turned down a £4.2million bid before the season started.

"I'm grateful to United and we will never clash. But in terms of his characteristics, I think Rossi is more suited to the Italian game and that's why we rejected a loan to another English club [after his spell at Newcastle].

"He is at Parma now and he has a chance to shine."