Steve Bruce: My Toon heartache

Jimbo

Steve Bruce admits he still thinks about his decision to turn down the offer to manage boyhood club Newcastle United.

The Premiership side came calling two-and-a-half years ago following their decision to dismiss Sir Bobby Robson, only for Bruce to spurn their advances.

Earlier this season and with 'Bruce out' chants ringing around St Andrews, the Newcastle-born tactician must have been ruing his decision to turn his back on a switch to St James' Park.

However, Bruce has overseen a transformation of the club's fortunes and they now play Newcastle on Saturday in an FA Cup tie sitting top of the Championship and favourites to win promotion.

It is, though, with genuine affection that Bruce talks of Newcastle as he reflects on the biggest decision of his career in management.

"I am a typical Geordie, who is black and white through and through," he told the Sunday Express.

"You talk about big decisions in your life. To get the opportunity to manage them was probably the biggest compliment I've had in football.

"Bloody hell, Newcastle wanted me!

"It was the hardest decision I've had to make. But to have taken the job would have meant letting down the people here at Birmingham.

"I always wonder whether I've closed the door on a dream. As a player I'd always wanted to play for them and then I was given the chance to manage them."

Would Bruce have forced Bellamy and Robert out putting the club millions in debt searching for replacements?

So on the basis that Souness was dreadful (which no-one is denying), do you think that justifies the case that Bruce should have been appointed instead? <_<

Would Bruce have forced Bellamy and Robert out putting the club millions in debt searching for replacements?

So on the basis that Souness was dreadful (which no-one is denying), do you think that justifies the case that Bruce should have been appointed instead? <_<

Out of the two of them I would have prefered Bruce, thats not to say that I think he is anywhere good enough to manage us but he wouldn't have brought as much harm to the club as Souness did.

Souness, Bruce and Roeder are all about the same standard as managers.

Out of the two of them I would have prefered Bruce, thats not to say that I think he is anywhere good enough to manage us but he wouldn't have brought as much harm to the club as Souness did.

Fuck me Mystic Meg, any chance you could give these predictions earlier than a year before it happens next time?

Fuck me Mystic Meg, any chance you could give these predictions earlier than a year before it happens next time?

I've said it all along tbh

To be a fair I reckon a fair few, myself included, would have taken Bruce over Souness.

What with the characters we had regardless of what Souness had achieved in the past he was always going to be a nightmare and the wrong appointment for our club. I remember the day he got the job the first thing that was said to me by nearly everyone this side of the border was "So thats Bellamy and Robert out on their arse then..."

As much as I don't particularly rate Bruce, Werepig O'Leary etc, I am pretty confident not one of them could have messed up this club nor waste so much money whilst leaving a small squad in such a short space of time.

To be a fair I reckon a fair few, myself included, would have taken Bruce over Souness.

What with the characters we had regardless of what Souness had achieved in the past he was always going to be a nightmare and the wrong appointment for our club. I remember the day he got the job the first thing that was said to me by nearly everyone this side of the border was "So thats Bellamy and Robert out on their arse then..."

As much as I don't particularly rate Bruce, Werepig O'Leary etc, I am pretty confident not one of them could have messed up this club nor waste so much money whilst leaving a small squad in such a short space of time.

Completely agree. And it was something i've always thought. I wouldn't (and don't) want Bruce as manager, but i'd havetaken him over Souness because watever he may have done (and my guess would be pretty average) he wouldn't have cost us players like Souness or pissed away quite the same amount of money in such disaterous fashion whilst ruining the squad.

Same with when we were linked with Venables. I didn't want him at all, but Venables short term till the end of the season vs Souness long term...i'd have personally carried Venables from cockneyland myself. He'd have done nothing spectacular, but for whatever reason players like him and we wouldn't have had him fall out with players and reck the squad.

"I am a typical Geordie, who is black and white through and through," he told the Sunday Express.

Oh fuck off please!

Am I missing something with Bruce? Has he done or said something I've missed because I can never understand all these 'plastic geordie' comments he gets.

I can understand people not wanting him for his managerial skills but can never understand why he gets slagged by you for his geordie roots <_<

Oh fuck off please!

Am I missing something with Bruce? Has he done or said something I've missed because I can never understand all these 'plastic geordie' comments he gets.

I can understand people not wanting him for his managerial skills but can never understand why he gets slagged by you for his geordie roots <_<

Because people remember 95/96 when his Sky punditry left nobody in any doubt where he wanted the title to go.

What concerns me most about his comments is that IIRC, he'd recently signed a new contract with Brum when we sacked Robson with a £6m buy out clause.

If it's true that we offered him the position then, with everything being done by the book, we'd have had to agreed a compensation fee with Birmingham before we could talk to him.

<_<

[because people remember 95/96 when his Sky punditry left nobody in any doubt where he wanted the title to go.

??????????

But he was Man Utd's captain in that season. Of course he wanted to win the title? Is that all!

[because people remember 95/96 when his Sky punditry left nobody in any doubt where he wanted the title to go.

??????????

But he was Man Utd's captain in that season. Of course he wanted to win the title? Is that all!

He's got the comments right but the period wrong. It was the cup final in '99 IIRC

??????????

Hadn't he packed in by then? - if not then it may have been punditry since - my memories are admittedly twisted by bitterness but I definitely remember seeing him sitting in a Sky box after a match between us looking like a lot happier version of Bagpuss then normal.

??????????

He's got the comments right but the period wrong. It was the cup final in '99 IIRC

Thanks Craig.

Yup, wanted the club who he played for and had won the cup only 3 years previously to win the cup ahead of the team who he had 'supported all his life' and who had gone 44 years without winning it.

Said a hell of a lot.

Yup, wanted the club who he played for and had won the cup only 3 years previously to win the cup ahead of the team who he had 'supported all his life' and who had gone 44 years without winning it.

Said a hell of a lot.

Didn't he sign for Norwich from Gillingham when we were after him ,cos he was such a big Newcastle fan?

Edited by Dogmatix