Freddie - get your arse in gear

Lazarus

It's only the 3rd, but I don't have a lot of confidence in them handling this any better than the last one. I hope I'm :lol: pleasantly surprised :icon_lol: but I doubt it.

If I hear Roeder use the words pole position again, I'll know we're fucked.

3 days down, that's 10% of the transfer window gone. <_<

Unless the players are of the right quality, I'd rather hang on until the summer. It's a bit of a risk but I don't think we'll go down regardless.

We need reinforcements

Jan 3 2007

By Luke Edwards, The Journal

Shay Given has urged Newcastle United chairman Freddie Shepherd to move rapidly in the transfer market after the Irishman admitted the squad was on the verge of breaking point because of injuries.

The Journal understands that Manchester United's England international Wes Brown is a Newcastle transfer target, with Middlesbrough's Chris Riggott another who is interesting boss Glenn Roeder as he attempts to boost his defencive options this month.

Southampton's wonder-kid Gareth Bale is another wanted by the Magpies manager and, while the likes of Arsenal, Manchester United and Real Madrid have been following the 17-year-old's progress, United could benefit from the fact the youngster has privately intimated he wants to join a club who will give him regular first-team football.

But it is up front that Newcastle's plans are causing the most confusion, with Peter Crouch adamant he will not be leaving Liverpool, while Everton manager David Moyes has insisted James Beattie is not for sale, despite dropping him for the 3-0 win over Newcastle last Saturday.

United's makeshift side did a magnificent job against aspiring champions Manchester United on New Year's Day, with rookie defender David Edgar's late strike securing a battling draw. But Given, who has returned far quicker than usual from a groin problem to ease his manager's plight, warned they cannot maintain their revival unless re-enforcements arrive to bolster a squad which has performed valiantly to cope without so many key players in recent weeks.

"Our team was strung together against Manchester United, we were struggling to get the bare minimum of players out there," said Given, who was full of praise for young defensive trio Edgar, Paul Huntington and Steven Taylor after their determined effort against the Red Devils.

"The treatment table has never been so busy during the whole time I have been with the club. I walked in there on Sunday and there was a board up with all the names on, and there were more injured players than fit players, which is no exaggeration. It's really bad and I can't put my finger on why."

He continued: "It would be nice to get a few new players this month - but even nicer to get some in this week so that they don't get cup-tied after the FA Cup games on Saturday.

"I don't know what the craic is in terms of new signings but we all know that we need to get some new players in and pretty quickly. The chairman is aware of that and he has said before he wants to strengthen in January.

"The manager has his targets as well and in an ideal world we would get them in this week, but that doesn't always happen. You could see against Manchester United that we only had 11 fit players to put in, we need new faces to add numbers to a small squad.

"There are a few players on the treatment table who aren't far away and, if we get the right quality of player as well, then that will help the squad no end. It's not just about numbers, it's about the calibre of players coming in, too."

Newcastle's medical staff will work frantically to get players back in time for the tricky looking FA Cup trip to Birmingham City, although captain Scott Parker is suspended and Nicky Butt is struggling with an ankle injury.

But Given is full of admiration for the way the squad has rallied around each other in the club's time of need.

He said: "Manchester United are a top team and they had their full squad up here, but we showed real character. We stuck together when we had to and we certainly deserved a point and could have actually won.

"It's nice, because I think they will be champions, if not champions then they will be very, very close. They have been on fire recently, beating teams up and scoring lots and lots of goals. They scored two against us but we gave them a real fight.

"The lads deserve a lot of credit because we had a lot of young lads out there but they stood up, were counted and became men. They had to do that. There was no alternative."

Heard Roeder the other day going on about 'we don't want to panic buy players'. Can anyone explain to me what we were doing on the final day of the summer window when we brough in Rossi and Le Sib at the last minute then?

Le Sib's been a God-send tbh. A lucky signing though.

He has, but it was complete fluke. Blatantly couldn't get anyone and then went to Willie Mckay at the 11th hour and asked him which of his clients was available. Stroke of luck rather than stroke of genius.

Unless the players are of the right quality, I'd rather hang on until the summer. It's a bit of a risk but I don't think we'll go down regardless.

The winter transfer window is always difficult. That's why I think deals normally should be done in the summer. Clubs are reluctant to let their better players leave in mid-season. Take Nugent for example, I can't Preston see gambling on their promotion hopes by letting their main striker go. There are only a certain kind of players who are going to be available. Either because they are deemed surplus at their current club - but is this really the kind of player we should look at? Or the club has to sell to cash in, be it because of financial troubles (e.g. when we signed Woodgate) or because the club wants to cash in before a player leaves on a free in the summer.

Wouldn't mind to get some players in who fall in the last category if they are cheap and quality. That would be a nice change from the expensive crap we normally sign during the summer.

Thing is, we have a real lack of bodies at the moment. If anything, we should be looking to bring in experience for the short term rather that putting the pressure on the kids (who, by the way, are doing superbly imo). However, that is far far easier said than done. Might be best to try and at least bring in a full back then sit tight till the summer.