Cooking

Gemmill

Okay, today we are searching for stir fry tips. I have made these at various stages for the family over the last 20 years and every time they have been gut wrenchingly bad.

Yesterday the wife called into Giorgios butchers in Cleadon where they do ready prepared stir frys.

IE the raw meat and a few peppers, onions etc are mixed together in a delicious source that you then take home and stir fry.

However I would rather play about and create some of these myself and that way I also know what I am eating.

The ones we've tried so far are very spicy chinesey and I think have a fair bit of ginger in.

Anyone got any good recipes?

They come with the sauce in already? That's not a stir fry, it's a stew!

Don't buy that pre-prepared stir fry veg crap from supermarkets either, it's never fresh and tastes like cardboard.

I always use a basic teriyaki sauce (I don't often do stir fries as for no real reason I got bored with them) that I make myself when I do stir fries.

2 parts light soy sauce

1 part sherry (or rice wine but who the fuck normally keeps rice wine in the cupboard?)

1 part runny honey

Stir that all up together and taste to make sure it's not too salty. If it is, add more of the other ingredients.

Aside from that, it's basically frying meat 2-3 mins on high heat, followed by the veg for another 2-3 on top of that. As you do the veg, drop in little bits of water/teriyaki as you go to get a steaming effect going that'll make it cook quicker. Pour the rest in towards the end and let it reduce a little.

Doing teriyaki salmon tonight, if i haven't already I'll hoy the recipe up when I get home from work.

Okay, today we are searching for stir fry tips. I have made these at various stages for the family over the last 20 years and every time they have been gut wrenchingly bad.

Yesterday the wife called into Giorgios butchers in Cleadon where they do ready prepared stir frys.

IE the raw meat and a few peppers, onions etc are mixed together in a delicious source that you then take home and stir fry.

However I would rather play about and create some of these myself and that way I also know what I am eating.

The ones we've tried so far are very spicy chinesey and I think have a fair bit of ginger in.

Anyone got any good recipes?

They come with the sauce in already? That's not a stir fry, it's a stew!

Don't buy that pre-prepared stir fry veg crap from supermarkets either, it's never fresh and tastes like cardboard.

I always use a basic teriyaki sauce (I don't often do stir fries as for no real reason I got bored with them) that I make myself when I do stir fries.

2 parts light soy sauce

1 part sherry (or rice wine but who the fuck normally keeps rice wine in the cupboard?)

1 part runny honey

Stir that all up together and taste to make sure it's not too salty. If it is, add more of the other ingredients.

Aside from that, it's basically frying meat 2-3 mins on high heat, followed by the veg for another 2-3 on top of that. As you do the veg, drop in little bits of water/teriyaki as you go to get a steaming effect going that'll make it cook quicker. Pour the rest in towards the end and let it reduce a little.

Doing teriyaki salmon tonight, if i haven't already I'll hoy the recipe up when I get home from work.

Cheers for that. When I say sauce I mean it looks like it has been marinated etc.

I guess I could add spices to your recipe to get the "kick"? IE a bit of ginger etc.

Just found a site that might be canny....

http://www.familywok.com/recipes.php?rec=43

This is there Chinese Teriyaki sauce recipe.

Teriyaki Sauce

Ingredients:

1 cup Kikkoman soy sauce

5 Tbsp sugar

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 piece ginger, crushed

5 Tbsp ketchup

2 Tbsp sake or Sherry wine

salt to taste

Directions:

Place all the ingredients for the teriyaki sauce in a blender or food processor. Blend until well combined. Transfer to a storage container, cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Marinate meats for at least 3 hours.

Have got back into juicing. Not t taking steroids, using one of these bad boys

02d9bfa8-89e7-8f88.jpg

I'm having a juice consisting of:

5 carrots

4 apples

2 pears

1 lime

Half a cucumber

Some spinach

Some kale

For breakfast and lunch....combined with a hard boiled egg (not juiced). I wouldn't follow me into the toilet though. In fact I just wouldn't follow me at all.

So i stayed with my vegetarian girlfriend at the weekend. Had a couple of drinks on friday night and she asked if I could teach her how to do soups as she'd acquired a stick blender that wasn't being used.

There's a brilliant little shop down the road from her that sells all manner of fruit and veg for peanuts (we bought two big bags of stuff with change from a fiver). I've done a fair few soups during my stint at the restaurant, so this was a chance to have a little fun! Even named it after her being the chivalrous gent that I am Here we go (this is really bloody easy):

Julie's Winter Veg Soup

1 large potato (whatever kind you like)

1 large onion (to get this effect, we had to use two small ones)

1 bulb fennel

2 medium carrots

1 glass white wine

salt & pepper

1 litre veg stock made from veg bouillon (I let her keep the veg bouillon I used for our xmas dinner gravy. Or use homemade if you're in a Fearnley-Whittingstall mood)

- Roughly chop the veg. Don't waste anything. Use ALL the fennel. (A good tip for fennel virgins: cut it in half right down the middle, then place the flat side down for easy choppin.

- Fry the onions in a little oil until they're soft. 5 mins ought to do the trick.

- Add the fennel and give it another few minutes.

- Stir in the carrots, then dash in the wine. Season with salt & pepper. It'll smell pretty good at this point so have a sniff.

- Once that's all been stirred together, add your potato (hope you cubed it!)

- Give that all a good mix before you pour in all of your stock.

- Turn the heat down and let it simmer gently. Leave it for 45 mins or so. It's ready once the potato is soft enough to be easily separated by pressing on it with a spatula. Or stick it with a knife, whatever.

- Get your stick blender and pulverise the concoction. Watch you don't splash boiling hot soup over yourself as you do so. It'll go a lovely beigey orange colour.

- Serve it with some crusty bread & butter. You'll have 4 decent portions of the stuff to enjoy!

Really loved this. You get that aniseed of the fennel sweetened just a bit with the wine. You can always blend it in a food processor if you don't have a stick, probably safer too but not as fun.

Edit - wor lass actually doesn't have a large saucepan (oo-er) so we had to improvise...and use a wok. Not bad for soup as it happens! :D

Sounds nice that like. I quite enjoy making soup myself, especially at this time of year. Top tip is don't use tired old veggies from the back of the fridge just to use them up. Use fresh stuff and it'll taste a lot nicer. Might do a spicy carrot and coriander one this weekend actually.

Wait til CT sees this. This'll be his next impulse purchase, nailed on.

:)

Nah! This was the big fad in the states about 5 years ago. Not for me all those ingredients in one glass!

Reminds me of when were young and we all saw Rocky for the first time. We all went home and dared each other to down raw eggs. Yuk.

And don't bother telling me how nice it tastes either.

(now that I think about it I'm pretty sure we had a juicer some years back although I think it gone used more for making ice cram milk shakes.

It does taste nice like. The apples and pears overpower everything else, so it just tastes like fruit juice.

Your juicer was used to make ice cream milk shakes in the same way that your telescope will be used to hang clothes off in a month's time. :razz:

Nah! This was the big fad in the states about 5 years ago. Not for me all those ingredients in one glass!

Reminds me of when were young and we all saw Rocky for the first time. We all went home and dared each other to down raw eggs. Yuk.

(now that I think about it I'm pretty sure we had a juicer some years back although I think it gone used more for making ice cram milk shakes.

There was a place in Belfast did smoothies / fresh juices. They did this banana, strawberry, orange combo called (I shit you not) 'Love Juice'. That had a different meaning at my school.

I bet he's got a set of top of the range golf clubs that have been used twice.

As it happens I have a lovely set of Calloway big berthas in the loft!

I knew it :lol:

I think astronomy's more your bag tbh ;)

I bet he's got a set of top of the range golf clubs that have been used twice.

As it happens I have a lovely set of Calloway big berthas in the loft!

I knew it

I think astronomy's more your bag tbh

I really enjoy golf but it is all about having the right company with you (as in so much of life).

Once had a membership for a year with someone who turned out to be a nightmare to play with.

Omelettes are todays obsession.

Do we have any omelette experts on the board?

When I used to stay in posh hotels I used to love a well made, well filled omelette on a morning but alas have never managed to train the wife how to make one similar.

I have therefore decided, having mastered chips roast potatoes and jacket potatoes, to turn my attention to the omelette.

Any one?

There was a place in Belfast did smoothies / fresh juices. They did this banana, strawberry, orange combo called (I shit you not) 'Love Juice'. That had a different meaning at my school.

Theres a smoothie shop called that in Eldon Square, isn't there? :lol:

When I used to stay in posh hotels I used to love a well made, well filled omelette on a morning but alas have never managed to train the wife how to make one similar.

I have therefore decided, having mastered chips roast potatoes and jacket potatoes, to turn my attention to the omelette.

Any one?

Go for a classic Denver.

http://www.ehow.com/how_13825_make-denver-omelette.html

Not seen that place in Eldon Square like :lol:

And they're a piece of piss, CT. Mix 2 or 3 eggs is a bowl with a fork. Add a little milk at this stage too and also add the salt and pepper. Then add the mix to a pre-heated frying pan which already has oil in (I like to hoy a bit of butter in too). The pan needs to be canny hot. That's about it. Just move the spatula about so the liquid bits get cooked. Not too much though or you'll end up with scrambled eggs. I like it with cheese. You can add the grated cheese to the mix before you put it in the pan.

Some places finish it off under the grill I think but I never bother.

Any one?

Go for a classic Denver.

http://www.ehow.com/...r-omelette.html

Not a Jamie recipe..... :faint:

Btw, if you're adding onions or mushrooms or similar, you'll have to fry them off first.

Cheers.....helps if you have bloody eggs in the fridge. :doh:

Yeah, you'll need some eggs ;)

Fresh eggs are nicer anyway though.

Btw, you don't have to keep them in the fridge. They cook better that way too.

Edited by alex