Cooking

Gemmill

Got a decent recipe for one, Alex? I'm a top dog at chilli con carne but I need more exotic ones.

Well, the recipe's in my head really but I always stick in some chipotles. These are dried, smoked chillies. You can get them at Mmm... Deli in the Grainger Market as well as some supermarkets. You can also get them online at places like South Devon Chilli farm. Basically, a bit like dried porcini mushrooms, you stick them in some hot water to soften them before removing the stalks and chopping them up. Keep the juice too and throw that in. Basically what it imparts is that smoky, barbecue sauce flavour, plus extra heat. I also add cumin, dried oregano, and ground coriander. I put fresh coriander in as well. You add the fresh coriander leaves near the end of cooking but you should chop the stalks up and add them too for flavour. The stalks need to be cooked a bit longer though. I also add fresh lime juice and a bit of tequila too. Another addition is cocoa powder but go easy on it (teaspoon or two). Also, the longer you cook it the better but the beans should only be cooked for the last 15 mins or so to stop them getting mushy. I also add soy instead of salt but that's a decent tip for for any stews, soups etc. If I think of owt else, I'll let you know ;)

Aye. Got people coming over tomorrow night so that's on the cards here too. Might prep it today so the flavours have time to get all sexay with each other.

That one you did a while back when I came round was mint like!

Aw shucks. For all it's not an Alex special (unlike the nucleus of my bolognese recipe :whistle:), the tips and tricks aren't too different to what he describes above. The only real difference is the lack of chipotles, simply because I live in a thoroughly impoverished part of town. :D There's a massive Waitrose at Canary Wharf though, so I might go on a store-cupboard binge there some time soon.

Recovering from a particularly brutal dose of Man Flu, so Chicken Chow Mein is on the menu tonight.

For 2

Couple of small chicken breasts

8-10 King Prawns.

Couple of nests of egg noodles (about 400g)

Half bunch of Spring Onions- shredded

Mange Tout or Sugar Snaps

Small carrot - cut into thin matchsticks

Garlic- a large clove finely chopped

Ginger- a tadge, finely chopped

2-3 tsp of Dark Soy

1tsp of corn flour, mixed with water

The Sauce/ Marinade

2-3 tsp of Light Soy

2 Tbsp of Rice Wine ( or dry sherry)

1 and a bit Tsp of Sesame oil

Pinch salt

Pinch ground pepper

1. Cut the chicken into thin shreds, put into a bowl

2. Mix all the marinade ingredients, add half of it to the chicken and let it marinate for about 30 mins.

3. Boil some water in your wok, cook the noodles for 3-4 minutes. Plunge them into cold water to stop them cooking further, then rinse and drain. Stir through a splash of sesame oil.

4. Heat the wok, add about a tbsp oil and let it get smoking, then add the chicken and stir fry for about 2 mins. Remove and keep

5. Heat the wok again , stir fry the king prawns and veg ( except spring onions) for 2-3 minutes, adding the garlic and ginger halfway through.

6. Add the noodles,spring onions, the remaining half of the sauce , dark soy , cornflour mix and a tsp of sugar. Continue cooking for a couple of minutes.

7. Stir through the chicken and cook for another minute or so.

8. Neck.

I added some shredded, dried cayenne chilli tonight, to the chicken mix and at the garlic stage, to kickstart the taste buds.

Edited by Monkeys Fist

Got a decent recipe for one, Alex? I'm a top dog at chilli con carne but I need more exotic ones.

Well, the recipe's in my head really but I always stick in some chipotles. These are dried, smoked chillies. You can get them at Mmm... Deli in the Grainger Market as well as some supermarkets. You can also get them online at places like South Devon Chilli farm. Basically, a bit like dried porcini mushrooms, you stick them in some hot water to soften them before removing the stalks and chopping them up. Keep the juice too and throw that in. Basically what it imparts is that smoky, barbecue sauce flavour, plus extra heat. I also add cumin, dried oregano, and ground coriander. I put fresh coriander in as well. You add the fresh coriander leaves near the end of cooking but you should chop the stalks up and add them too for flavour. The stalks need to be cooked a bit longer though. I also add fresh lime juice and a bit of tequila too. Another addition is cocoa powder but go easy on it (teaspoon or two). Also, the longer you cook it the better but the beans should only be cooked for the last 15 mins or so to stop them getting mushy. I also add soy instead of salt but that's a decent tip for for any stews, soups etc. If I think of owt else, I'll let you know ;)

plenty of ground cumin, fresh coriander, bbq sauce and three differnet types of chilis ( i use fresh green chilli, dried and jalapenos) = the don of chillies

Got some chipotles since they sound like a excellent addition and I think I've heard you mention them before. I'm nowt special with chilli (can do a canny con carne like) so anything to make it look like I know what I'm doing is appreciated.

That's how it should be done. Good stuff. I used diced chorizo in mine for good measure.

Got some chipotles since they sound like a excellent addition and I think I've heard you mention them before. I'm nowt special with chilli (can do a canny con carne like) so anything to make it look like I know what I'm doing is appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XNOiZfcNz0

Made dinner for a few friends tonight and I was unusually pleased with the results. It was pretty basic, but some tips off that thar interweb really made a difference.

Scran

• 4 little wheels of camembert
  • a red onion marmalade
  • 2 decent sized carrots

• 4 skinned Chicken Fillets
  • 2 finely sliced garlic cloves
  • 1 tsp Cumin seeds
  • 100g Gruyère Cheese
  • 8 slices of Parma Ham

• 900g potatoes
  • 30g sage leaves
  • 1 level teaspoon salt
  • 50g salted butter
  • 4 tbsp milk
  • 2 tbsp crème fraîche
  • 4 spring onions

• 25g butter
  • 2 shallots, diced
  • 1tbsp thyme
  • 300ml white wine
  • 250ml fresh double cream
  • 1tbsp Dijon mustard

Take the cheese out of it's box and pop it in a square of that grease proof baking paper stuff and make a little unwrapped parcel... I don't know how better to describe it, but take my word :shades: stick it in the oven for 15 minutes at 220. Serve it with the red onion marmalade and long slices of the carrots.

Butterfly the chicken and stuff with the garlic, the cumin and Gruyère (I grated this, but to be honest I doubt it'd have made much difference if you'd just sliced it.) Wrap it in the ham and pan fry it briefly in olive oil to seal it. Pop it in the over for 45 minutes on about 180.

Alp2yAsCEAELZvN.jpg

Boil the potatoes until they're ready to mash, then add everything else and mash :D . Simple as that really. make sure the Spring Onions and Sage is finely chopped.

Trickiest bit was the white wine sauce; fry the shallots and thyme in the butter and then when the shallots are soft, add the wine and boil until it's reduced (web says by half). Then add the cream and the mustard and bring it down from boiling so it's just warming nicely. I was really worried about the thickness as it seemed very watery, but by the time it was strained and served it was fine.

Served the chicken, mash and sauce with some snap peas.

Bloomin lovely with a surprisingly nice bottle of Wolf Blass Chardonnay. (no idea why, but I always had it in my head that Wolf Blass was one step up from Lambrini :unsure: )

The Shallots and Mustard to the sauce, the Cumin to the Chicken and the Carrots really made a fairly standard meal taste really good.

:good:

Cumin seeds are highly underrated. A secret weapon that can be deployed even in unlikely circumstances.

Honestly never used them before (according to my impaired memory anyway).

Cumin seeds are highly underrated. A secret weapon that can be deployed even in unlikely circumstances.

They're an absolute must when it comes to curries and chillies in my view. Always toast them for a few seconds first before using - unlocks the flavour.

They're an absolute must when it comes to curries and chillies in my view. Always toast them for a few seconds first before using - unlocks the flavour.

Crack a few Cardamom pods and hoy them in your rice as its cooking too.

Edit; I also hoy in a Bay leaf, 2-3 whole garlic cloves, and a teaspoon of whole black peppercorns.

Lurvely Jurberly.

( had a week of hotel food, can't wait to get home and make some decent bait ).

Edited by Monkeys Fist

Crack a few Cardamom pods and hoy them in your rice as its cooking too.

Edit; I also hoy in a Bay leaf, 2-3 whole garlic cloves, and a teaspoon of whole black peppercorns.

Lurvely Jurberly.

That's pretty much how I learned it from Madhur. :good: Couple of shards of cinnamon too, then cook it as slooooowly as your hob will allow.

EDIT: And warn your guests about the risk of biting into a rogue cardamom pod. ;)

Edited by Meenzer