Newcastle may make late bid for Neill

Nobby

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=4...+closes+on+move

West Ham have leapt to the front of the queue for Lucas Neill and are close to tying up a deal for the Australian star, skysports.com has learnt.

Neill has also been in talks with both Liverpool and Newcastle, with long-time favourites Reds once looking likely to seal a move.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is keen to secure Neill, but he has thus far failed to offer a suitable package to the 28-year-old.

However, following talks - Neill looks as if he could be heading back to London, where he starred for Millwall before joining Blackburn.

Rovers have given up hope of persuading the defender to stay at the club and are now set to cash in on a player, who could depart for nothing in the summer.

West Ham boss Alan Curbishley is looking to spend big this month as he tries to save The Hammers from relegation.

Nigel Quashie and Luis Boa Morte have already signed and now he is obviously hoping that Neill will join the influx.

While West Ham close on Neill's signature, it cannot be ruled out that both Liverpool and Newcastle may make last-ditch bids to grab him.

Should West Ham finalise the transfer it is not thought Paul Konchesky will be heading in the opposite direction as part of this deal.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has suggested that The Reds would not make a renewed bid for Neill.

"We are continuing working on these things but we will not wait. If a player wants to come to play for Liverpool, he must say yes quickly," said Benitez.

"If he thinks about it for too long, maybe it’s a signal it’s time for us to look for other players. We have alternatives."

Edited by Nobby

What's the poiiiiiint???

Because he can play anywhere across the back line.

He's out of contract in the Summer so won't cost much.

He's a better LB than Babayaro.

He's a better RB than Carr.

He's a better CB than Bramble, Moore, Ramage, Huntington and Edgar.

Never been impressed with him tbh. Nobby is looking like a better rightback than him and we need to be looking for a propper left back not someone else who we can play out of position there.

Would be a decent addition to the squad perhaps but we starting 11 places we need to fill before then.

What's the poiiiiiint???

yeah but what's the poiiiiint??

i thought he was a right back. never seen much of him at left back or centre back but it's hard to imagine he'll be worse in those positions than the likes of bramble and babbayaro.

it also could (hopefully) mean carr is on the way out.

What's the poiiiiiint???

He's 'better' at the moment.

However, he is a filthy bastard, and the way he and Savage dragged Zoggy up of the ground at Ewood, really boiled my piss tbh.

What's the poiiiiiint???

My point being that Liverpool, etc, are all after him and we're not going to get him, so why bother wasting our time going in for him in the first place?

What's the poiiiiiint???

So is Distin and Ben Haim. Get in Freddie!

Good player, I've always rated him as someone to be much better than he looks if you know what I mean. As others have said he can play in numerous positions, has a great deal of experience and would walk straight into the side without needing to adapt to any difference in style of play or language barriers, indeed he's an ideal target in every respect. However I doubt we're after him as I don't think we have the funds or are in a position to spend any just yet, if we are on the verge of a takeover which may complicate plans on that front.

If we did have funds, we'd have submitted a few bids by now going on our past record or our inability to keep news from gobshites like AO who strangely enough has rubbished every link so far and hasn't written the usual "as I understand it Roeder is keen on X player and the word is that X player will be a United player by the end of the transfer window" bollocks. Perhaps he's been told to play down transfer plans?

He's a dirty thug and I don't like him, but from what I've seen of him, he's a decent player. Given the fact that he's also very experienced and wouldn't cost much, I wouldn't mind us signing him. The way Benitez has talked about him would suggest that his wage demands are stupidly high though.

Didn't Roeder talk about a signing at a talk-inn a few months ago? IIRC it was a defender and it was almost a done deal... :lol:

How many talk-ins does Roeder do? No wonder we never sign anyone. Last time he was at one, Liverpool were tying up a deal to bring Kuyt to Anfield, while he was telling everyone he was planning to watch him :blush:

Didn't Roeder talk about a signing at a talk-inn a few months ago? IIRC it was a defender and it was almost a done deal... :lol:

How many talk-ins does Roeder do? No wonder we never sign anyone. Last time he was at one, Liverpool were tying up a deal to bring Kuyt to Anfield, while he was telling everyone he was planning to watch him :blush:

It was Clark and Oliver, Anal said we had deals done for a 6'4 CB and a LB.

It was Clark and Oliver, Anal said we had deals done for a 6'4 CB and a LB.

;) Oh, just bs then. Sorry.