Thursday's football gossip

khay

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A massive defender who could intimidate the opposition a it from set pieces (at both ends), and maybe bully their centre forwards a bit could be very useful to us. What we're really crying out for, though, is a leader.

Much ado about nothing then...

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsD...~970320,00.html

Glenn Rules Out Defensive Duo

GLENN Roeder insists he is still looking to bring in new faces before the January transfer window closes, but says Goran Gavrancic won't be coming to St. James' Park.

The 28-year-old Serbian, currently playing for Dynamo Kiev, has been a name brought to the manager's attention in recent weeks.

But Roeder revealed: "I have conducted my own investigations into Gavrancic and decided he is not a player we will be signing.

"I have been told by people I respect and who know what they are talking about that he is no better than the defenders we already have at St James' Park.

"But while Gavrancic is not coming this does not mean we have slackened off in our efforts to bring a couple of players in before the transfer window closes next Wednesday.

"The four or five players we have targeted are still with their clubs and I can put my hand on my heart and honestly say that we have not wanted any of the players who have already moved in the transfer window.

"I can only repeat what I have already said and that is I will not panic or lose my nerve and I will not bring players in just for the sake of adding another body to our squad."

Gavrancic is an international team-mate of Manchester United's Nemanja Vidic.

Another player linked with United has been American centre-back Oguchi Onyewu, currently with Standard Liege.

But Roeder added: "I am aware of this player but he is not a player I am trying to sign."

Like I said yesterday or the day before. I wish he'd keep his gob shut until it was a done deal. He's constantly making himself look a right twat with these empty promises.

I'm in a state where I find all this quite amusing. I don't expect anything "pleasantly surprising" coming through in this transfer window, so I am just concentrating on the comedy value of our transfer "planning" :lol:;):pmsl:

One minute we're 48 hours away from signing the bloke, the next he's spoken to a few people who've told him the lad is shit. How do we get within 48 hours of signing someone who's shit?

Lack of 'planning' perchance?

We don't know it's necessarily the same guy.

Well yesterday he was hopeful of having a player in within 48 hours, today he is specifically ruling out one player and saying that we're still hopeful of signings by next Wednesday. I'd say from that that it's pretty clear that this was our 48 hour man.

Guest Patrokles

We don't know it's necessarily the same guy.

Well yesterday he was hopeful of having a player in within 48 hours, today he is specifically ruling out one player and saying that we're still hopeful of signings by next Wednesday. I'd say from that that it's pretty clear that this was our 48 hour man.

But then you look at what was said about negotiations with the player's club, and having him over here to take a look at, etc, and it suggests that Roeder had already made up his mind that he wanted the player, which would seem to imply that he wasn't GG. You may well be right, but all I'm saying is that it's not necessarily the case.