Arrogance

Guest Patrokles

Guest Patrokles
"Both Ryan and myself can never understand why any player would ever turn down Manchester United for Blackburn or Newcastle," said Neville.

"Other players we missed out on recently are Ronaldinho and Arjen Robben, but I'd have to say Shearer was the one we wish we'd got.

"I played with him in England games and he definitely had the mentality of a United player. Why he never came to United, I do not know.

"I can't understand that decision and I can't begin to understand what must have been going through someone's mind when they choose Blackburn and Newcastle over United."

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shearer choose Newcastle, because he was born in Newcastle and grew up supporting the club. I dare say he has no regrets.

It's surprising to hear that from Man Utd player like, I'm used to hearing glory supporting tossers who've never seen Old Trafford (TV, aside) telling me that

Shearer choose Newcastle, because he was born in Newcastle and grew up supporting the club. I dare say he has no regrets.

It's surprising to hear that from Man Utd player like, I'm used to hearing glory supporting tossers who've never seen Old Trafford (TV, aside) telling me that

Aye, we had a canny side at the time too. You'd think we were in the position we're in now when he joined from Neville's comments.

2 lads who grew up supporting Man Utd and then then achieved their dream of playing for the club, won virtually every domestic medal in the game, can't understand why somebody would want to play for another club. :lol:

Well beat me up with a shittly stick, hold the back pages what a startling revelation! :pmsl:

Lead item on news at ten tonight for sure. ;)

Guest Patrokles

2 lads who grew up supporting Man Utd and then then achieved their dream of playing for the club, won virtually every domestic medal in the game, can't understand why somebody would want to play for another club. :lol:

Well beat me up with a shittly stick, hold the back pages what a startling revelation! :pmsl:

Isn't that the point with Shearer?

Do you think if we'd been mid-table like we have been the last 3 seasons (sad eh), he'd have turned down Man U to come to us? Like sh*te would he. He signed for us because at the time we were one of the best 2 teams in the country. Obviously the fact he was a Geordie swung it our way in the end.

Yeah, and I think that's what he's trying to say an'all.

I agree with Gemmill though. Why anyone, other than Shearer with his north east roots, would pick us or Blackburn over Manchester United is makes no sense to me.

This debate has been done to death before but I think it's perfectly understandable why he chose Newcastle at the time.

As has already been said it was the perfect opportunity for him at the time. You were flying high, SJH & Keegan had created a massive feelgood factor and the feeling in football at the time (not just from you lot) was that trophies were just around the corner.

That must have been a dream come true for him, the chance to lead your club to their first major trophies for decades. If you think he's a hero now just imagine if he'd achieved that ;)

I suspect Gary Nev is a little more puzzled as to why he chose Blackburn when he did, as am I. OK Jack Walker was pumping big money into the club but I don't think anybody really saw them as a long term succesful club.

It would have been an interesting dilemma for Shearer though. If he'd chosen Man Utd over Blackburn at the time, would he have then left Man Utd to join the Newcastle 'revival'. I guess we'll never know the answer to that one :lol:

This debate has been done to death before but I think it's perfectly understandable why he chose Newcastle at the time.

As has already been said it was the perfect opportunity for him at the time. You were flying high, SJH & Keegan had created a massive feelgood factor and the feeling in football at the time (not just from you lot) was that trophies were just around the corner.

That must have been a dream come true for him, the chance to lead your club to their first major trophies for decades. If you think he's a hero now just imagine if he'd achieved that ;)

I suspect Gary Nev is a little more puzzled as to why he chose Blackburn when he did, as am I. OK Jack Walker was pumping big money into the club but I don't think anybody really saw them as a long term succesful club.

It would have been an interesting dilemma for Shearer though. If he'd chosen Man Utd over Blackburn at the time, would he have then left Man Utd to join the Newcastle 'revival'. I guess we'll never know the answer to that one :lol:

No, would be my guess.

2 lads who grew up supporting Man Utd and then then achieved their dream of playing for the club, won virtually every domestic medal in the game, can't understand why somebody would want to play for another club. <_<

Well beat me up with a shittly stick, hold the back pages what a startling revelation! :icon_lol:

Lead item on news at ten tonight for sure. :blush:

Do you think if we'd been mid-table like we have been the last 3 seasons (sad eh), he'd have turned down Man U to come to us? Like sh*te would he. He signed for us because at the time we were one of the best 2 teams in the country. Obviously the fact he was a Geordie swung it our way in the end.

I dunno I seriously doubt he'd have come or we could have afforeded him if we'd been religation fodder (or not in the Premiership), but he could have left several times since 1996 when things looked bleak and very very mid-table or lower, and he didn't (although I think he came close on two occasions).

Obviously the postion of NUFC at the time and the manager we're also important, but it's jaded to undervalue his loyalty to the club and desire to play for NUFC (although very modern Britain).

The problem with comments from anyone connected with Manure is that they sound arrogant because Manure have built such an obnoxious reputation for themselves.

Tripe. I know quite a few Man Utd fans and none of them are like that. They've also got the best away following in the country by a mile tbh

Edited by Sima

That must have been a dream come true for him, the chance to lead your club to their first major trophies for decades. If you think he's a hero now just imagine if he'd achieved that :blush:

It would have been an interesting dilemma for Shearer though. If he'd chosen Man Utd over Blackburn at the time, would he have then left Man Utd to join the Newcastle 'revival'. I guess we'll never know the answer to that one <_<

Again though, it was at a time Blackburn were building something useful. In his first 3 years there, he finished 4th, 2nd, 1st, so it's not like he joined a nothing team, and in 1992 when he joined Blackburn, Man U had won only a few cups in some time, not the force they were soon to become.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

That must have been a dream come true for him, the chance to lead your club to their first major trophies for decades. If you think he's a hero now just imagine if he'd achieved that :blush:

It would have been an interesting dilemma for Shearer though. If he'd chosen Man Utd over Blackburn at the time, would he have then left Man Utd to join the Newcastle 'revival'. I guess we'll never know the answer to that one <_<

He chose Blackburn ahead of Man Utd because Dalglish and Walker sold him what they were planning to do where as Man Utd never quite did that and to be fair, he made what looked like the right decision at that time because not only were Blackburn challenging, they would later go on to win the title from Man Utd. I think most accepted, unless Blackburn could sustain their succes, he was always too big a fish for them and that eventually he'd move, I think at least in Shearer's mind that was always the case anyway. Even while at Blackburn he said in an interview (the season he was injured, our first in the Premiership), that his dream was to play for Newcastle before he retired which pissed off a few Blackburn fans at the time especially as we were coming fresh onto the scene. I personally think that was Shearer letting the powers be at St. James' Park that he wants to come back home sooner rather than later, when he's done at Blackburn, in an ideal world anyway.

Had NUFC not been challenging at the time (i.e. stuck in a division below or fighting to stay up ever season), he'd have joined Man Utd without doubt and probably tried to come to us in his 30s as was always his dream to pull on the shirt, but everything at that time was perfect for him, we could afford to pay a player of his quality the wages he demanded, we had a great squad, top manager, were genuine challengers and looked like winning trophies season in season out, him being a Geordie was the icing on the cake and made it all too easy for him to snub Man Utd again.

I'm not surprised Man Utd still regret the fact he snubbed them though because had he joined them, even signing after Blackburn, they'd have won much more than they did and wouldn't have spent all that money they have done on trying to find that right leader of the line, something like £70m by my reckoning over the years as Shearer would have lead that line for 10 years or so like he lead ours.

I liken it to the regret of SBR not taking over KK here at Newcastle or Schmeichel being in goal THAT day which still plays on wor minds.

On reflection joining NUFC proved a mistake for Shearer in my opinion (certainly professionaly) but by the same token, what he got personally from wearing the shirt he had always dreamed about, breaking the club's goalscoring record and as he put it himself just living the dream, proved far more valuable to him as an individual than trophies or awards ever could and that's what a lot of Man Utd fans can't understand but if you were from this region, you would. To a Geordie playing for the club is the biggest reward of all, nothing would ever top that, not Championship medals for Man Utd or playing in a European Cup final. That devotion to the club is what gives us our gates to be honest, not trophies or the promise of them and its the same for lads good enough to play football in our city, they don't dream about winning trophies, they dream about playing for Newcastle, probably because they've accepted the Toon and trophies isn't gonna happen :icon_lol:

When Shearer came back to Newcastle while a Blackburn player to visit friends and family, he would drive around the newly revamped St. James' Park a few times and those childhood dreams of his were right there in front of him, and something when offered, he couldn't say no to as had he, even with medals thrown in, I think he'd have truly regretted it, not playing for Newcastle at some stage of his career.

Fergie to this day is still pissed at not getting Shearer and too rights because had he, well, just how much more unstoppable would they have been? They already had three great leaders in Fergie himself, Schmeichel and Keane, imagine another up front, and then there is the goals, the ability to perform consistently without an arm around the shoulder or a kick up the arse, to any manager he and his type are the perfect footballers and pretty much priceless.

God, I'm fucking glad we've had 10 years of him. :nufc:

I wouldn't swap those 10 years for any trophy, if I'm being truthful. No doubt statements like that will rankle with some Toon fans like but we got a lot for our money.

The problem with comments from anyone connected with Manure is that they sound arrogant because Manure have built such an obnoxious reputation for themselves.

Tripe. I know quite a few Man Utd fans and none of them are like that. They've also got the best away following in the country by a mile tbh

I know a lot of people that support Man U, but I can't think of one that would support them if they'd won as "much" as Newcastle in their lifetime, most of them would have started being supporters after the beginning of the Ferguson era though.

He chose Blackburn ahead of Man Utd because Dalglish and Walker sold him what they were planning to do where as Man Utd never quite did that and to be fair, he made what looked like the right decision at that time because not only were Blackburn challenging, they would later go on to win the title from Man Utd. I think most accepted, unless Blackburn could sustain their succes, he was always too big a fish for them and that eventually he'd move, I think at least in Shearer's mind that was always the case anyway. Even while at Blackburn he said in an interview (the season he was injured, our first in the Premiership), that his dream was to play for Newcastle before he retired which pissed off a few Blackburn fans at the time especially as we were coming fresh onto the scene. I personally think that was Shearer letting the powers be at St. James' Park that he wants to come back home sooner rather than later, when he's done at Blackburn, in an ideal world anyway.

Had NUFC not been challenging at the time (i.e. stuck in a division below or fighting to stay up ever season), he'd have joined Man Utd without doubt and probably tried to come to us in his 30s as was always his dream to pull on the shirt, but everything at that time was perfect for him, we could afford to pay a player of his quality the wages he demanded, we had a great squad, top manager, were genuine challengers and looked like winning trophies season in season out, him being a Geordie was the icing on the cake and made it all too easy for him to snub Man Utd again.

I'm not surprised Man Utd still regret the fact he snubbed them though because had he joined them, even signing after Blackburn, they'd have won much more than they did and wouldn't have spent all that money they have done on trying to find that right leader of the line, something like £70m by my reckoning over the years as Shearer would have lead that line for 10 years or so like he lead ours.

I liken it to the regret of SBR not taking over KK here at Newcastle or Schmeichel being in goal THAT day which still plays on wor minds.

On reflection joining NUFC proved a mistake for Shearer in my opinion (certainly professionaly) but by the same token, what he got personally from wearing the shirt he had always dreamed about, breaking the club's goalscoring record and as he put it himself just living the dream, proved far more valuable to him as an individual than trophies or awards ever could and that's what a lot of Man Utd fans can't understand but if you were from this region, you would. To a Geordie playing for the club is the biggest reward of all, nothing would ever top that, not Championship medals for Man Utd or playing in a European Cup final. That devotion to the club is what gives us our gates to be honest, not trophies or the promise of them and its the same for lads good enough to play football in our city, they don't dream about winning trophies, they dream about playing for Newcastle, probably because they've accepted the Toon and trophies isn't gonna happen :icon_lol:

When Shearer came back to Newcastle while a Blackburn player to visit friends and family, he would drive around the newly revamped St. James' Park a few times and those childhood dreams of his were right there in front of him, and something when offered, he couldn't say no to as had he, even with medals thrown in, I think he'd have truly regretted it, not playing for Newcastle at some stage of his career.

Fergie to this day is still pissed at not getting Shearer and too rights because had he, well, just how much more unstoppable would they have been? They already had three great leaders in Fergie himself, Schmeichel and Keane, imagine another up front, and then there is the goals, the ability to perform consistently without an arm around the shoulder or a kick up the arse, to any manager he and his type are the perfect footballers and pretty much priceless.

God, I'm fucking glad we've had 10 years of him. :nufc:

I wouldn't swap those 10 years for any trophy, if I'm being truthful. No doubt statements like that will rankle with some Toon fans like but we got a lot for our money.

i'm sure you could have said all that in a pargraph or two instead of an 800 word op-ed

I know a lot of people that support Man U, but I can't think of one that would support them if they'd won as "much" as Newcastle in their lifetime, most of them would have started being supporters after the beginning of the Ferguson era though.

Couldn't agree more, anybody under say 25 should be banned from Old Trafford as they are post Fergie numpties. Come to think of it they should be banned from all grounds as they are all post sky numpties <_<

I guess you may be talking about out-of-towners here but believe me there was plenty of them before Fergie, even when in the 2nd division the London supporters branch had in excess of 1000 members, what's their excuse.

You need to open your eyes mate, Man Utd were very well supported long before Ferguson appeared on the scene. A certain genius by the name of Matt Busby ensured that.