Michael Gravgaard

janu

Michael Gravgaard (born April 3, 1978) is a Danish professional footballer, who is currently playing for F.C. Copenhagen. He normally plays the centre back position, but he can also play as a striker. He has played 11 games for the Danish national team, scoring four goals.

Biography

Born in Randers, Gravgaard started his senior career with local club Randers Freja in 1996. Initially playing in the lower-league Danish 2nd Division, Gravgaard helped the club win promotion to the 1st Division in 1999. He entered the Danish top-flight football relatively late in his career, as he foremost wished to pursue an academic career. Only after graduating as an accountant, Gravgaard signed a contract in the top-flight Danish Superliga championship, when he moved to Viborg FF in the summer 2002.

At Viborg, he established himself as one of the best central defenders in the Superliga, and he was at times used, with relative succes, as a striker. In his three seasons at Viborg, he appeared in 94 league games for the club and he scored 18 goals. In the summer break 2005, Gravgaard moved on to league rivals F.C. Copenhagen (FCK), alongside Viborg's goalkeeper Jesper Christiansen. He quickly established himself among the key players of FCK, and due to his heading ability, he soon earned the nickname of "Copenhagen Air Force" among the FCK fans.

He was selected for the Danish national team in August 2005. He played the second half, coming on as a substitute for Per Nielsen, and scored the goal to 3-0, in a 4-1 friendly match win against England. Gravgaard played his first full international match on September 7, 2005, against Georgia. In the following two games against Greece and Kazakhstan, he scored a goal in each match. The start of his national team career thus featured three goals in five games, an impressive tally for a central defender.

Full name Michael Julius Gravgaard

Date of birth April 3, 1978 (age 28)

Place of birth Randers, Denmark

Height 1.86 m

Nickname Copenhagen Air Force :lol:

Position Centre defender, striker

I see he scored against England in the 4-1 friendly defeat

101242.jpg

Edited by @yourservice

Comes from the team I kind of follow over here in my exile. Seen a lot of the lad, IMO quality defender, great positioning, excellent header of the ball, good feet and knows his way to the back of the net.

Reckon he is head and shoulders above the rest of our current crop has played champions league this season and done fairly well. Difficult to say how quick he would settle into the premier league after playing in the Danish Superleague, bit like Scotland, very little competition for the top two or three clubs.

Comes from the team I kind of follow over here in my exile. Seen a lot of the lad, IMO quality defender, great positioning, excellent header of the ball, good feet and knows his way to the back of the net.

Reckon he is head and shoulders above the rest of our current crop has played champions league this season and done fairly well. Difficult to say how quick he would settle into the premier league after playing in the Danish Superleague, bit like Scotland, very little competition for the top two or three clubs.

Just read over here that Copenhagen knocked back a reported bid of around 20 mill danish, around 2 mill in the UK, appears very doubtful that they would agree to a loan deal which it seems we are after.

At around 3 mill he would be a snip.

Reckon he is head and shoulders above the rest of our current crop has played champions league this season and done fairly well.

Agree with that. Reckon him and Taylor would be a very good partnership. Actually, he reminds me of Sami Hyypia. Carm, composed and a good leader at the back.

At around 3 mill he would be a snip.

Reckon he's valued at around £3-4m. No chance FCK will let him go on loan first.

Absolute shite against the USA last week. Made to look quite ordinary by several players on their international debut.

Might have something to do with the Danish league having a break until March since last November...

Absolute shite against the USA last week. Made to look quite ordinary by several players on their international debut.

Might have something to do with the Danish league having a break until March since last November...

... and the US league having been on Break since October?

Edit: October, not September. Sorry

Edited by Zathras

Touché <_<

I'd still rather judge a player by the performances in his league or especially in the Championsleague than in a meaningless friendly in the mid of the winter break.

Touché <_<

I'd still rather judge a player by the performances in his league or especially in the Championsleague than in a meaningless friendly in the mid of the winter break.

I would tend to look at the Champion's League ahead of a friendly as well, but he was totally undone by any kind of speed all day--he'd get murdered in the premiership.

And again today...

Michael Gravgaard's agent has played down talk linking the player with a move to Newcastle.

Reports emanating from Scandinavia suggested Newcastle were lining up a move for the FC Copenhagen ace.

Magpies boss Glenn Roeder admitted earlier this week he was hopeful of signing an international defender this week fuelling suggestions that Gravgaard could be his target.

However, Gravgaard's representative Ivan Benes insists he has not had any contact with Newcastle regarding the Danish international.

"I have had no contact with Newcastle regarding Michael," Benes told skysports.com.

"He has been linked with a number of clubs in this transfer window.

"He is under a long contract with FC Copenhagen and it all depends on FC Copenhagen."

Any loan move for Gravgaard looks unlikely with FC Copenhagen not expected to be willing to let the player move away on a short-term deal