The clock is ticking, United

Scottish Mag

Jan 26 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Glenn Roeder is trying to bring two new players into St James' Park - knowing that the clock is ticking away against him.

The Newcastle United boss has targeted two players he hopes to bring in on loan before the transfer window slams shut next Wednesday night.

I believe those players are both from abroad and that they are a striker and a defender, but I get the impression that Roeder is not as confident of adding to his squad today as he was yesterday.

And the United boss must know deep down that he is paying a hefty price for the sins of his predecessors as, for the second January transfer window in succession, it appears that Newcastle United will not be buying a player.

Roeder had drawn up a January shopping list which included Peter Crouch, Darren Bent, Ajax striker Ryan Babel and promising Championship youngsters Giles Barnes at Derby County, Southampton's Gareth Bale and West Brom's Curtis Davies.

But with no transfer kitty forthcoming, that list must have been crumpled up and thrown in the bin in his office.

Indeed, I hear from the south coast that Roeder has been in touch with Southampton about Bale, who he rates as the best young left-back in the game.

Contacts in Southampton tell me Roeder was prepared to buy Bale and then lend him back to Southampton for the rest of the season, but the United boss is not at the races.

Instead I expect Martin Jol to do exactly that - sign the young Welsh international and then loan him back to Southampton until the start of next season.

With the coffers empty at St James' Park, Roeder has had the difficult job of sorting out the wheat from the chaff in the loan market.

There was talk today that United are vying with Manchester City for Utrecht left-back Edson Braafheid, but this is not correct.

In fact, it was announced today that Braafheid has signed for FC Twente.

Roeder travelled to Holland just before Christmas to watch Braafheid in action but decided not to follow up his initial interest.

After Albert Luque's dream move to Villarreal has broken down there is talk that Racing Santander are now interested in taking the United striker back to Spain.

But they don't have the money to think about signing Luque - even on loan.

Jan 26 2007

Glenn Roeder is trying to bring two new players into St James' Park - knowing that the clock is ticking away against him.

The Newcastle United boss has targeted two players he hopes to bring in on loan before the transfer window slams shut next Wednesday night.

I believe those players are both from abroad and that they are a striker and a defender, but I get the impression that Roeder is not as confident of adding to his squad today as he was yesterday.

And the United boss must know deep down that he is paying a hefty price for the sins of his predecessors as, for the second January transfer window in succession, it appears that Newcastle United will not be buying a player.

Roeder had drawn up a January shopping list which included Peter Crouch, Darren Bent, Ajax striker Ryan Babel and promising Championship youngsters Giles Barnes at Derby County, Southampton's Gareth Bale and West Brom's Curtis Davies.

But with no transfer kitty forthcoming, that list must have been crumpled up and thrown in the bin in his office.

Indeed, I hear from the south coast that Roeder has been in touch with Southampton about Bale, who he rates as the best young left-back in the game.

Contacts in Southampton tell me Roeder was prepared to buy Bale and then lend him back to Southampton for the rest of the season, but the United boss is not at the races.

Instead I expect Martin Jol to do exactly that - sign the young Welsh international and then loan him back to Southampton until the start of next season.

With the coffers empty at St James' Park, Roeder has had the difficult job of sorting out the wheat from the chaff in the loan market.

There was talk today that United are vying with Manchester City for Utrecht left-back Edson Braafheid, but this is not correct.

Roeder travelled to Holland just before Christmas to watch Braafheid in action but decided not to follow up his initial interest.

After Albert Luque's dream move to Villarreal has broken down there is talk that Racing Santander are now interested in taking the United striker back to Spain.

<_<

Guest Patrokles

Given the choice between £11million on Boumsong, Faye and Babayaro, or signing no one, I think I'd take the latter if it means a more productive summer.

If what Oliver says is true (I believe this is subtle pro-Roeder, anti-Board propaganda on his part tbh) then the lack of communication at the club is incredible. Also, signing some of those players would have cost in excess of £20million anyway so who's he trying to kid. All in all it's an attempt to mask the ridiculous lack of "planning" © made with regard to who were going/hoping to bring in, permanently and/or on loan.

but why not have the honesty to come out with it. Roeder has just about managed to keep the boat afloat. If we were a little lower in the league i have no doubt more effort would have been made.

I do not want money been thrown about, those days are gone, but we have been aware of the situation now for months and again Newcastle do nothing.

Guest Patrokles

We're fucked. <_<

Oliver is more likely to win a beauty contest than a prize for his writing though. Jesus wept, it's childlike. "He had a list....but I bet it's been crumpled up and put in the bin!"

Not as good as:

"Contacts in Southampton tell me Roeder was prepared to buy Bale and then lend him back to Southampton for the rest of the season, but the United boss is not at the races.

Instead I expect Martin Jol to do exactly that - sign the young Welsh international and then loan him back to Southampton until the start of next season."

Thanks for the clarification.

We're fucked. :blush:

Oliver is more likely to win a beauty contest than a prize for his writing though. Jesus wept, it's childlike. "He had a list....but I bet it's been crumpled up and put in the bin!"

Not as good as:

"Contacts in Southampton tell me Roeder was prepared to buy Bale and then lend him back to Southampton for the rest of the season, but the United boss is not at the races.

Instead I expect Martin Jol to do exactly that - sign the young Welsh international and then loan him back to Southampton until the start of next season."

Thanks for the clarification.

<_< Aye, I didn't get what he meant by exactly the same there.

If Anal O. is right about this list then it rather demonstates the lack of professionalism of running the football club. If there really were names like Crouch, Bent, Bale et al who in the majority have 8m+ price tags to their name then it is foolishness of the highest order if you discover in January that you were building castles in the air.

There should have been a constantly revised from the last summer transfer fiasco. Now making the same mistakes again is just mind-boggling.

If Anal O. is right about this list then it rather demonstates the lack of professionalism of running the football club. If there really were names like Crouch, Bent, Bale et al who in the majority have 8m+ price tags to their name then it is foolishness of the highest order if you discover in January that you were building castles in the air.

There should have been a constantly revised from the last summer transfer fiasco. Now making the same mistakes again is just mind-boggling.

yeh it is, but at least it's consistent <_<

I also like this gem...

But Carr has now got to repay those fans by standing up to his responsibilities, something he has failed to do since arriving at the club.

He is one several first-team players - Emre, Duff, Nicky Butt, Babayaro, Charles N'Zogbia and Bramble are among the others - who frequently turn down requests from the media to talk to the supporters through them.

And as a result, willing young players like Taylor and Peter Ramage have been forced to carry an ever-increasing work-load.

The signing of Duff once again has to be questioned if it is true that we have no cash.

£5m wasted on a player for the one position that the majority of fans were happy with.

Tbh £5m wouldn't solve all our problems would it would certainly be a start.

But perhaps this is another example of Roeders transfer fund expecations being totally unrealistic.

The signing of Duff once again has to be questioned if it is true that we have no cash.

£5m wasted on a player for the one position that the majority of fans were happy with.

But perhaps this is another example of Roeders transfer fund expecations being totally unrealistic.

but 5m would buy us a decent CB and when I say decent I mean one that is better than we currently have <_<

but 5m would buy us a decent CB and when I say decent I mean one that is better than we currently have <_<

It'd probably buy us two.

It'd probably buy us two.

I like taylor, I think he needs tutoring to get the best out of him though

Very very easy to blame Souness, rather than the man who handed him the money in the first place.

It's all bollocks - Glenn thought he'd have about £50m to spend looking at his list of ideal players. Now he's having to resort to failing to bring in two loan signings?

Surely Roeder knew at the start of this transfer window how much money he had? Why's he been spouting all that shite about signing players when it's clear to every man and his dog that we can't actually sign anyone?

If what Oliver says is true (I believe this is subtle pro-Roeder, anti-Board propaganda on his part tbh) then the lack of communication at the club is incredible. Also, signing some of those players would have cost in excess of £20million anyway so who's he trying to kid. All in all it's an attempt to mask the ridiculous lack of "planning" © made with regard to who were going/hoping to bring in, permanently and/or on loan.

Alex, alex..................

you have used the word "subtle" about Alan Oliver- for shame, lad, for shame

3 detentions and 75 hail Mary's

that for me is the problem. He hands out a list of players he would like, and then at the end of Jan, oh we have got no one.

Was this all a stunt to make us believe they were aiming high and wanting to continue moving the club forward, when in fact it was just a smokescreen to cover the fact we are not getting anyone in.

If thats the case why not say at the begining of the window, "We are not getting anyone in"

God politics has farted its way into football as well

Jan 26 2007

What a shambles.