Windows Vista

Jimbo

Launches today, anyone using a copy or has bought one ?

I've ordered a copy of the Home Premium 64bit edition.

Don't do it!

Never use release editions of operating systems because they are always full of bugs.

Give it six months until they have at least got to version 1.1.

Out of interest jimbo, give us a couple of reviews please?

If possible after day 1, week 1, month 1?

Bet it will make interesting reading.

Interesting to note Microsoft's pricing policy on this. The US versions are roughly half the cost of the same version in the UK :unsure:

Microsoft Enterprise Library at work will soon be updated and I've got a spare machine at home which is capable of running it so I'll give it a whirl ;)

Launches today, anyone using a copy or has bought one ?

I've ordered a copy of the Home Premium 64bit edition.

Don't do it!

Never use release editions of operating systems because they are always full of bugs.

Give it six months until they have at least got to version 1.1.

Out of interest jimbo, give us a couple of reviews please?

If possible after day 1, week 1, month 1?

Bet it will make interesting reading.

Not only will you likely get the release bugs, but the ONLY reason to really get Vista (DirectX 10), which is the reason it won't be an XP release, won't be properly supported in most games for a long, long while yet.

All you'll be doing is slowing your PC down for a load of eye candy most of which you can get on XP as 3rd party and on Linux if security and performance are really important to you, and paying through the nose for the pleasure. :unsure:

ive also heard that vista will deliberately bugger any audio or video it doesnt like.

It has a LOT of dodgy "anti-piracy" measures built in, the sort of stuff that makes you think Sony's rootkit scandle might well be common place soon enough. ;)

My old man has been running Vista for a couple of months now, I haven't got round to asking him about it yet but I will do and will let you know what he thinks.

wondered why i was seeing it on ebay for £130 and shops here are advertising £250 for the Ultimate version

I only paid £75 for mine.

And so it begins........

Vista has speech recognition hole

Microsoft has admitted that speech recognition features in Vista could be hijacked so that a PC tells itself to delete files or folders.

Vista can respond to vocal commands and concern has been raised about malicious audio on websites or sent via e-mail.

In one scenario outlined by users a MP3 file of voice instructions was used to tell the PC to delete documents.

Microsoft said the exploit was "technically possible" but there was no need to worry.

The firm has pointed out that in order for the flaw to be exploited the speech recognition feature would need to be activated and configured and both microphone and speakers would have to be switched on.

"The exploit scenario would involve the speech recognition feature picking up commands through the microphone such as 'copy', 'delete', 'shutdown', etc. and acting on them," a Microsoft security researcher wrote on the team's official blog.

Some Vista users have already tested the exploit and were able to delete files and empty the trash can so that the documents were not retrievable.

Microsoft has said that even if the machine was primed to accept voice commands it would be unlikely the user would not be in the room to hear the file with malicious instructions being played.

The firm also said that voice commands could not be used for privileged functions such as creating a new user or formatting a drive.

"There are also additional barriers that would make an attack difficult including speaker and microphone placement, microphone feedback, and the clarity of the dictation," wrote the Microsoft researcher.

While speech recognition was a feature of Windows XP, in Vista the use has been widened.

"While we are taking the reports seriously and investigating them accordingly I am confident in saying that there is little if any need to worry about the effects of this issue on your new Windows Vista installation," said the researcher.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6320865.stm

The aero desktop feature is superb !!

vistadesk2yp7.jpg

them is some serious baps me boy...why am I not surprised ???? :lol::lol:

you can't beat a big pair of tits.