Chopra

Scottish Mag

I see once again he has scored.

I know most on here automatically say "he was shite", "not good enough", "Championship is his level" however I find it interesting that many call for the signing of the likes of Nugent and even to the extent of figures 4-6 million but having seen a fair bit of Chopra this season he is doing as much, if not more, than any striker at that level.

Good luck to the boy, it would have been interesting to have seen how his career could have turned out had he got his chance with the first team at the same time as Shola.

I know most on here automatically say "he was shite", "not good enough", "Championship is his level" however I find it interesting that many call for the signing of the likes of Nugent and even to the extent of figures 4-6 million but having seen a fair bit of Chopra this season he is doing as much, if not more, than any striker at that level.

Good luck to the boy, it would have been interesting to have seen how his career could have turned out had he got his chance with the first team at the same time as Shola.

Totally agree, Shola has never justified his role in the first team with the goals that his position demands.

If only...

Couldn't agree more. I don't think he was giving a chance personally and while you could point out that he isn't Premiership standard, was Doyle when playing for Cork not so long back? Is Sibbers who is doing a job? Some players grow into a player if that makes any sense or take time and need that chance to prove themselves one way or another, I hope Cardiff go up and the lad does just that. BTW I thought he could have made a half decent right sided winger for us, I remember the Rangers game at SJP a few years back and he had a good spell in that game in that position, sent in some cracking crosses and looked real nifty. Only one game I know but given who was ahead of him and his stature, I thought it might have been worth trying him out as one, see if he took to it, rather than just let him go because we can afford to spend millions on new strikers.

Quick question: Who would take Chopra now? I would.

Most people don't think he would have made it in the prem with Newcastle, but it was always fair to say he never got much of a chance, in terms of getting a run of games in the team to get his confidence up and get him used to the prem.

I hope should he go on to do better than expected that we have had the braisn to put in a sell on clause in case he goes for decent money.

He would have stayed if he was man enough to take the challenge of fighting for his place on!

He must have known he was not good enough to do that,how many on here would die for the cause?how many on here would have done what Chopra done?

It's his job

Most people don't think he would have made it in the prem with Newcastle, but it was always fair to say he never got much of a chance, in terms of getting a run of games in the team to get his confidence up and get him used to the prem.

As well as not getting an opportunity of a run of games, I think we also left him rotting in the reserves for far to long instead of involving in the first team squads training from an earlier age.

He would have stayed if he was man enough to take the challenge of fighting for his place on!

He must have known he was not good enough to do that,how many on here would die for the cause?how many on here would have done what Chopra done?

It's his job

It was his decision to leave but only because the club were prepared to give him a 1 year deal and not 2 years which he was afetr (presumably time enough to give him a chance to fight for his place), so I don't buy the he wasn't man enough. He being a Geordie knows only too well how hard it is to make it at Newcastle even if you are quite good given our ability to spend millions of forwards and our poor record of developing and bringing through talent. I bet it pissed him off not long after leaving, the club go and bring in an identikit player from Man Utd's academy.... because we were short in numbers. He probably asked for guarantees that he would be giving a fair chance, and was told, um, well, hmm, and thought fuck it. A one year deal hardly says anything does it. It probably took more guts to leave, take a look at Harper, the model of comfort.

Imagine how disheartening it must have been for Chopra to see a toe rag like ameobi picked week in and week out.

And Luque still here,even Chopra said himself in the press how he felt about the Luque situation!

Says a lot about how people view things in the club.

It was something I have always said. What if Chopra had got the same amount of chances as Shola Ameobi? I am not particularly rating Chopra, especially from the international games I saw he was always miles behind Ashton. But there he was always used as a right winger. Chopra seems to have an eye for the goal, and I think he still might develop into a decent player for a team that plays to his strengths.

To be honest comparing the two is like chalk and cheese. Shola was kept on firstly because the coachs etc seem to rate him but also because of his size. As the big tall striker he is the best at the club at the moment (or only) whereas Chopra would be behind Owen and Martins in the reckoning should everyone be fit.

Chopra was never good enough. Just because he is banging in the goals in a vastly inferior league doesn't mean he is any better.

Nowhere near as good as Shola as well.

Exactly.

Amazing that those calling for Chopra to have been given a chance, are mainly those who think Luque should fuck off :blink:

So is he equal yet with the definition of football genius that is Rasiak?

I believe there is a reason 3 managers chose Shola over Chopra despite Chopra probably being a lot more suited to playing with Shearer.

Edited by Gejon

I think he should have been given as much a chance as Shola got, and he wasn't not even close.

Does it not make you wonder why other managers chose Shola over Chopra though? I doubt it was over lack of work rate or anything like that.

I think he should have been given as much a chance as Shola got, and he wasn't not even close.

Should we have given Lewis Guy the same chances too?

It's obvious, no matter how much most of you hate Ameobi, that he's much better than Chopra.