Summer Festivals

Scottish Mag

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have no idea who i am, what i am like or anything. Don't judge a book by its cover ant, and in this case, don't judge a kid by his forum image.

I think it's more about the bands you're going to see (all mainstream/headliners in their own right) where the point of a festival is to see the new bands, the less well known people. If you wanted to listen to the bands you mentioned, you could go see them play the O2 arena or something.

You have no idea who i am, what i am like or anything. Don't judge a book by its cover ant, and in this case, don't judge a kid by his forum image.

I think it's more about the bands you're going to see (all mainstream/headliners in their own right) where the point of a festival is to see the new bands, the less well known people. If you wanted to listen to the bands you mentioned, you could go see them play the O2 arena or something.

The nearest o2 arena is in dublin, and there is never anyone good that comes to belfast :D

That's one reason I can't really be arsed with festivals, mind (Nashville notwithstanding). Rather go and see the acts I really like in an environment where they're not just stickmen on the horizon. I know it's not just about the music, obviously.

That's one reason I can't really be arsed with festivals, mind (Nashville notwithstanding). Rather go and see the acts I really like in an environment where they're not just stickmen on the horizon. I know it's not just about the music, obviously.

Nope, it's mainly about the drugs and inappropriate fingering of average girls :D

Nope, it's mainly about the drugs and inappropriate fingering of average girls :D

This guys got the idea :rolleyes:!

The nearest o2 arena is in dublin, and there is never anyone good that comes to belfast :D

Your talking out of your arse, i go to plenty of gigs in Belfast. Mandela Hall tends to get stacks of good indie/alternative bands, then theres the Ulster Hall the waterfront and the odyssey let alone smaller venues like the limelight and spring and airbrake, and you get gigs in Derry and all at the nerve centre, travel to Dublin a fair bit too mind.

in last couple of years alone in belfast i've seen the smashing pumpkins, queens of the stoneage, Leonard cohen, metalica, pearl jam list goes on.

(and no i based my assumptions on what your like on the various crap you post on the forums, and out off all the bands you could've mentioned you picked eminem, the black eyed peas and calvin harris)

There's never anything on in the nerve, just amateur musicians, and 95% of the time they are a rock band. Boring.

I'm not into the smashing pumpkins etc. I was supposed to go to calvin harris is St Georges Hall in November but i had to sell my ticket cause I had a test the next day :/ And I'm no black eyed peas fan :lol:

Guns N' Roses are playing soon as well, I think. Bands with exclusivity contracts to a festival in England (i.e the biggest ones) tend to like playing shows in Ireland at the same time so it's not just a trip for one show.

Yeah, you shouldn't go to see them and expect a GnR show, but that said I still really enjoyed them when they played Download in 2006, Buckethead and Bumblefoot are far more proficient guitarists than Slash, and could play all the songs perfectly night after night despite only just learning them, whereas Slash seemed to be a bit sloppy on account of him being pissed most of the time. But anyway, as a live show they probably don't have much on the classic lineup other than musicianship, but I would say they're well worth seeing if they're playing at a festival, or if you're lucky enough to get free tickets, not sure i'd pay £50 or so to see them.

Never got the chance to see Velvet Revovler live in person, but they always seemed pretty solid. Slash's new solo stuff is pretty good as well, and Miles Kennedy from Alter Bridge is touring with him at the moment, doing some old Guns songs as well, which i've heard have been awesome (was going to catch him at Hellfest but they clashed with a couple of other bands), although i've not heard it myself. In terms of getting close to the real thing I saw a fantastic GnR tribute band a couple of years ago, who were probably one of the best i've ever seen, he sounded so much like Axl that people had accused them of using bootlegs and miming them, and it only cost a tenner, rather than £50.

Edited by JonGoodwyn

Well now that I'm back, got a shower, shit and some sleep here's my take on Oxegen..

It was amazing. Thursday, Friday and Saturday did nothing but pour down with rain, didn't dampen our spirits in anyway. About 15 people stuck in the same tent for them days, great crack. On friday the music started, first band i seen was stereophonics, they were shit tbh. Didn't get the crowd going and was really boring, we then cleared to the dance arena and seen Erol Alkan, who was class. Dance arena was unreal altogether. We then went to Fat Boy Slim who really does know how to put on a show, was amazing.

Second day was even better, seen different bands all topped off by muse, muse was simply outstanding, unreal live. Again stuck in a tent all day but great great crack. Oh and on saturday night we were all sitting in the tent and a dublin drug dealer who's tent was pitched a few inches from mine came in with a knife and threatened all of us because we said he broke into our tent (we didn't). 10 minutes later he came back and said "oi lads, if any of ye want any toot, yokes or hash, yeno where to come, ya?". The cunt was obvs off his head on something :icon_lol:

Sunday the sun came out, everyone came out of their tents and sat outside, was amazing crack. Then the day went gloomy when that boy died about 10 feet away.. but then we went to see the music. Seen alot of great bands aswell topped off by eminem. Eminem's performance was one of the greatest moments of my life, was truely outstanding. Breathtaking. Then i stayed up all sunday night because madness was happening and we were leaving at 7am on the monday. We were bored in the tent at around 2 so we decided to tent jump people who came down with us that were sleeping, hilarious ;) Sat jumping on tents and throwing each other into everything all night, then at 7am we cleared up and went home.

Overall - Superb weekend, was warned about trouble etc. didn't see one bit. Was plenty of tents robbed, none of mine ;)

I also seen Florence and the machine, Kasabian and all but forget which days. Kasabian was class and so were florence and the machine.

Great weekend, bring on next year :D

reads like a boys first festival ;)

Thats exactly what she was :icon_lol:

Ant, you went on about how you didn't go to oxegen because of the trouble etc. I didn't see any trouble, was i one of the lucky ones or are you getting old and turning into a grumpy old man?

reads like a boys first festival ;)

Thats exactly what she was :icon_lol:

Ant, you went on about how you didn't go to oxegen because of the trouble etc. I didn't see any trouble, was i one of the lucky ones or are you getting old and turning into a grumpy old man?

I didn't go this year mainly because i've seen all the bands on more than one occasion, like Muse, seen them 5 times or something, that and i went down to dublin start of June for Rage against the Machine, and i've been flying back and forth to wales every couple of weeks to see the gf (ironically ex-gf as off about 2hrs ago) so didn't know if i'd be here for it, i might goto electric picnic.

i never had much trouble at oxegen, but then 3 of our group are 6ft+ so it's easier for the knackers to hassle others, can be lucky enough but do you reckon the story would've been different if your tent was empty when that dealer decided to clamber in or had of been just one of you?

my wee cousins mate got raped at it last year, seen fair bit of trouble, then that mass riot in 2006 was just unreal, ya know the big security towers in the campsite, those were pulled down, literally everything up in flames.

Oxegen since about 2005 is just a horrible festival filled with the gypos and knackers from dublin, the security are hired hands (knackers mainly) who end up causing more trouble than they stop.

Electric picnic for example is just as expensive but it's just such a better atmosphere, the campsite and whole setup is just superior, and they hire proper security firms and the gardai for it, your allowed your own booze into the concert area without having to sneak it in etc.

if you want a proper festival experience your better off heading to europe, the same sort of lineup that oxegen has will cost you literally 120ish euro, including your camping and for some festivals that also gets you on trains/buses to the place from major cities too.

Facking hell. I've read all about these things and i'm sort of glad to see nothing happen around me, about 5 tents on fire but that was all fun.

I've also read alot about the quality of security but then this year everyone is saying the security was alot better. They were all hired officials and there was a lot of garda groups of about 5 or 6 walking about all the time.

One thing i also noticed was that on sunday night when walking back to the tents i noticed there were loads, and i mean loads of gaurds in riot gear, so they must of been expecting something, luckily nothing happened that was serious.

Where abouts is Electric Picnice, also what's the line up?

Its not too far away from where oxegen is, it's in portloaise (sp) http://www.electricpicnic.ie/

apparently the group that runs electric picnic joined up with the ones who do oxegen for the first time this year so maybe they're using electric picnics firm, they normally used some scottish one.

normally oxegens secruity (you say officials but literally anyone can do it, there's sign up sheets in the bars in belfast etc to apply around may/june time), tends to be tons of knackers looking to rip ya off etc.

Electric picnic, i only recognise one name in the line up, Mumford and sons. Is it more of an electric (dance) festival or what? sounds like a dance one.

I was reading about the security and apparently they hired a proper security firms and all the security seemed to know what they were doing, they all had headsets and all keeping connected and actually stopped and searched every single person looking to get to the arena. No alcohol of your own allowed in the arena.

I'd be tempted into going to belsonic this year, normally it's full of scumbags etc but the line up this year is half decent - Paolo Nutini, Kasabian, Florence and the machine and David Guetta. They were all at oxegen but i only seen Kasabian and Florence and the machine.

Belsonic filled with scumbags? generally it hasn't been, The lads who run shine and the stiff kitten run it, but with the lineups this year it will be dire, i won't be near it, might goto some of the arts festival gigs like modest mouse divine comedy and seasick steve though.

naw electric picnic isnt just dance music, its a great variety, the comedy tent is always great, then theres 2 other tents and 2 stages for music, your allowed in your own booze and its not just hennieken if you want to buy some, they have themed bars, like that bacardi bar at oxegen, but they have a bolywood one and a burlesque one called the pussy parlure, great craic all round, just a lot more relaxed and less hassle.

and how you have never heard of some of those bands in that lineup is beyond me, i mean Massive attack? fck sake

I always thought that Belsonic would've been something like giants park. filled with scum.

The thing about Ireland festivals is that they're all way over priced, €244.50 for 4 days is a joke, even if it was amazing.

Oxegen didn't have any variety on drink, Hennieken and a cocktail bar. I brought my own but it went all warm and rotten, sold 8 cans and drank about 10, left 6 behind. Would've killed for an ice cold bottle of something like Coors or bud. Drank my wkd on the way down, 2 litres of it, got really sickening and done sweet feck all to me.

a dublin drug dealer who's tent was pitched a few inches from mine came in with a knife and threatened all of us

was warned about trouble etc. didn't see one bit.

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Guest Gordon McKeag
This Kevin seems a very confused character.

Maybe prone to bouts over exaggeration?

Far be it for me to critisise a NUFC fan on a NUFC forum, he just seems slightly odd.

The lad claioms to be Irish (I don't think anyone would make that up), a toon fan and 17. I think he's a parody. Probably a balding 47 year old with a lonely life.

This Kevin seems a very confused character.

Maybe prone to bouts over exaggeration?

Far be it for me to critisise a NUFC fan on a NUFC forum, he just seems slightly odd.

The lad claioms to be Irish (I don't think anyone would make that up), a toon fan and 17. I think he's a parody. Probably a balding 47 year old with a lonely life.

Mackem with too much time on his hands?