Belfast

Renton

Booked up, get there early St Patrick's day, but I'll just want a quiet drink and a meal at night, not bothered about pubs really. Sunday off to the Giant's causeway, Monday around Belfast centre and home.

Monday's a Bank Holiday btw (for St. Paddy's).

Aye, I saw that. If I'm in a country where it's a bank holiday that means by rights I get the day off work, right?

Actually, how do the proddys take to it? Do they celebrate it?

:)

Booked up, get there early St Patrick's day, but I'll just want a quiet drink and a meal at night, not bothered about pubs really. Sunday off to the Giant's causeway, Monday around Belfast centre and home.

Aye, I saw that. If I'm in a country where it's a bank holiday that means by rights I get the day off work, right?

I think he's recognised by both sides anyway. There's a little bit more hassle with the Bank Holiday on July 12th though I think. :)

I think he's recognised by both sides anyway. There's a little bit more hassle with the Bank Holiday on July 12th though I think. :)

It never even looks sunny in July when all the marching boots off.

• 4 weeks later...

Belfast is canny if anyone's interested. The St Patrick's day celebrations were a bit naff mind, full of pikey gingas everywhere.

It's very much a work in progress at the minute though, with money pouring into the city following the cessation of hostilities. At the minute the place seems to be around 15 years behind the rest of the UK in terms of development. No doubt all the usual chains will appear now, but whether this is a good thing or not is open to debate.

The best pubs and restaurants are situated between the University and city centre but are not grouped together like they are in Newcastle. I'd recommend finding out where the ones you fancy going to are before you go rather than leaving it to chance though.

The Giant's causeway is definitely worth a visit too, and I'd do a tour of the murals, even if this is a bit naff and touristy. I expect they'll be gone soon too as well as a lot of the cities character.

Did you make it to The Crown btw?

Yeah, I did, opposite from where you work. Reminded me of the Philharmonic in Liverpool, I guess our nearest equivalent is the Crown Posada. I went to Kelly's on the Saturday afternoon but it was shite, might have just been because of St Patrick's day though. The Cafe Vauderville is more my style. :unsure:

Yeah, I did, opposite from where you work. Reminded me of the Philharmonic in Liverpool, I guess our nearest equivalent is the Crown Posada. I went to Kelly's on the Saturday afternoon but it was shite, might have just been because of St Patrick's day though. The Cafe Vauderville is more my style. :unsure:

Was Kelly's heaving like? I guess it was. It's canny when it's quiet though although that's my feeling on most pubs :unsure:

Was Kelly's heaving like? I guess it was. It's canny when it's quiet though although that's my feeling on most pubs :unsure:

Aye, it was full of broken glass too. Thought the "Drugs will not be tolerated" sign was a bit dubious as well!

• 4 years later...

700 rioting last neet in Belfast catholics and against protestants, right at the start of the marching season. Ewerk had a point a while ago, how would we like mackems walking past our doors celebrating the death of geordies every year and fuck all done about it.

When you think about it, it shouldn't even be legal yet it is, and is past off as "parrrrrt of ourrrr traditionsh sho it ish". Well it borders on racism, these proddy pricks should be at best be told to do their marching in proddie area's, but even then it's still wrong. I think they should've tried to get all these sectarian activities (and that's what it is) banned within the terms of the good friday agreement.

700 rioting last neet in Belfast catholics and against protestants, right at the start of the marching season. Ewerk had a point a while ago, how would we like mackems walking past our doors celebrating the death of geordies every year and fuck all done about it.

When you think about it, it shouldn't even be legal yet it is, and is past off as "parrrrrt of ourrrr traditionsh sho it ish". Well it borders on racism, these proddy pricks should be at best be told to do their marching in proddie area's, but even then it's still wrong. I think they should've tried to get all these sectarian activities (and that's what it is) banned within the terms of the good friday agreement.

Probably woudn't help but I always thought the best repsonse to marches designed to provoke on either side would be a mass public moon rather than biting.

Probably woudn't help but I always thought the best repsonse to marches designed to provoke on either side would be a mass public moon rather than biting.

It's like 1500 KKK marching through New Orleans chanting "we hate darkies", that's how abhorrent it is, I think it should be phased out, no one will care in 40 years.

aye that's basically it, there would be nowhere near as much hassle if they had parades/marches in areas where people actually wanted them going through

it's all the traditional route balls that stirs it up, and that route is always near some sort of area heavilly biased religion wise one way or the other, and generally less well off areas, then being summer it all ties in nicely with the fact all the kids are now off school bored and tossing bricks.

And as i always say when the news like this appears, it's always always the same few shitty areas, but it makes it look like the city is in uprising

for example last nights 700 odd rioting

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=short+stra....01929&z=16

was basically around a miles worth of road Short strand where it meets the Albert bridge/Newtownards Rd, crappy mainly housing exec type areas with badly educated people = http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-13851316

on a side note just to sum up the stupidity of things these mongs latch on to, Rory Mcilroy basically said he was British and would play for GB in the olympics, so the loyalist types have came out with the usual "haha tunred down the tricolour and ireland fenian cunts" type shite.... which is great because McIlroy is a catholic whose uncle used to play Gaelic for Armagh :icon_lol:

Daft cunts, by their definition, he is also a "fenian cunt" too. Where do you stay like Ant? Is it mixed?

I have no sympathy at all for the orangemen at all. Organized thuggish intimidation imo no different to hitler's brown shirts in my eyes. I have friends in Belfast and Dublin and I admit they're all Catholics so I probably lack balance.

I spent nearly four years there and still never managed to go to Bar Buddha when it was open.

Edit: Bar Bacca I mean.

Edited by alex

I have no sympathy at all for the orangemen at all. Organized thuggish intimidation imo no different to hitler's brown shirts in my eyes. I have friends in Belfast and Dublin and I admit they're all Catholics so I probably lack balance.

I'm catholic too, and I think I've got balance. Imagine what would happen if the Catholics marched up the Shankill Road singing about Omagh and the Birmingham pub bombings.

I'm catholic too, and I think I've got balance. Imagine what would happen if the Catholics marched up the Shankill Road singing about Omagh and the Birmingham pub bombings.

I'm Protestant my wife's catholic who gives a fuck. The whole things a massive anachronism. Just cos your old man dragged his knuckles along the ground in an orange sash doesn't mean you have to do it. As it happens my wife's best friend is from derry and her old man was on the bloody sunday march. You'll never meet a nicer man and having talked to him I did a fair bit of reading around bloody Sunday, the Birmingham sicx and the guildford four, and the shank hill butchers. Opened my eyes, I can tell you.

I'm Protestant my wife's catholic who gives a fuck. The whole things a massive anachronism. Just cos your old man dragged his knuckles along the ground in an orange sash doesn't mean you have to do it. As it happens my wife's best friend is from derry and her old man was on the bloody sunday march. You'll never meet a nicer man and having talked to him I did a fair bit of reading around bloody Sunday, the Birmingham sicx and the guildford four, and the shankhill butchers. Opened my eyes, I can tell you.

The stories about that crowd especially are sickening.

Yes and many people believe they were protected by the authorities. Their leader Murphy was a psychopath and was apparently taken out by the Ira on a tip off from the UDA - they thought he was out of control too

I'm Protestant my wife's catholic who gives a fuck. The whole things a massive anachronism. Just cos your old man dragged his knuckles along the ground in an orange sash doesn't mean you have to do it. As it happens my wife's best friend is from derry and her old man was on the bloody sunday march. You'll never meet a nicer man and having talked to him I did a fair bit of reading around bloody Sunday, the Birmingham sicx and the guildford four, and the shankhill butchers. Opened my eyes, I can tell you.

Yes and many people believe they were protected by the authorities. Their leader Murphy was a psychopath and was apparently taken out by the Ira on a tip off from the UDA - they thought he was out of control too

Was it not Johnny Mad Dog Adair who was their leader, but they forced him out of the country?

Was it not Johnny Mad Dog Adair who was their leader, but they forced him out of the country?

You should google Lenny Murphy. Mad dog looks like a fucking boy scout by comparison with that psycho.

I'm Protestant my wife's catholic who gives a fuck. The whole things a massive anachronism. Just cos your old man dragged his knuckles along the ground in an orange sash doesn't mean you have to do it. As it happens my wife's best friend is from derry and her old man was on the bloody sunday march. You'll never meet a nicer man and having talked to him I did a fair bit of reading around bloody Sunday, the Birmingham sicx and the guildford four, and the shank hill butchers. Opened my eyes, I can tell you.

Name? :lol:

Nearly everyone in the older generation in my family were in that march.